Old 06-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Rock Guard Replacement

WE have a 1967 Ambassador. It's missing the rock guard over the front window. I seriously doubt I coudl find another vintage one, so does anyone know of a company that makes a decent replacement?

Old 06-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
We just bought a '66 and had the dealer (which is an Airstream dealer) intall an actual A/S one, not the clip on sunglasses type, but the flat dark, lexan panel that swings up. Cost about 400 installed, but darn worth it, over a broken window. Inland sells them, but you need to install it yourself.

John

Old 06-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
We just bought a '66 and had the dealer (which is an Airstream dealer) intall an actual A/S one, not the clip on sunglasses type, but the flat dark, lexan panel that swings up. Cost about 400 installed, but darn worth it, over a broken window. Inland sells them, but you need to install it yourself.

John

Thanks for the quiick reply! The closest AS dealer for me is St Louis, which is far! But I'll be going to Colorado in July. we'll maybe be able to pop in there. I don't want to use Inland ever agin if I don't have to.. customer service is the pits and I've had TWO unhappy experiences with them.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Rock Guard Replacement

Greetings flamingo-kid1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Thanks for the quiick reply! The closest AS dealer for me is St Louis, which is far! But I'll be going to Colorado in July. we'll maybe be able to pop in there. I don't want to use Inland ever agin if I don't have to.. customer service is the pits and I've had TWO unhappy experiences with them.
Depending upon your route when traveling to Colorado, you might be passing very near one of our region's Vintage Friendly Airstream dealers - - Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa - - if you choose to take the scenic route from Rockford - - US 20 - - you will find Ace Fogdall less than 2 miles off of US 20 on state highway 58 on the outskirts of Cedar Falls, Iowa. The only two lane highway that you would have to deal with is the strech of US 20 from near Elizabeth, IL to East Dubuque, IL - - I traveled the route frequently when I lived in Grant County, WI and it is a very pleasant drive.

For our Vintage coaches, the center section of the current 3-piece rockguards is what is often utilized - - evidently it is sold separately. It is not something that is likely to be stocked - - an advance order may be necessary. Ace Fogdall modified the center section of the current 3-piece rock guard so that I could protect the costly to replace side wing windows as well as the center front window - - they did a fabulous job on the entire installation.

Good luck with your stone guard dilemma!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
If no luck at Ace Fogdall...

The INLAND RV part # is 34996. $295 plus freight.

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Flamingo kid. I have a 1967 Rockguard that I took off of my trailer when I replaced with a new one. The fibergalss has some cracks and holes in it which is why I replaced. Some folks try to stay original and will patch or recut the fiberglass to keep it. You can have it if you want. Has the frame and arms still attached. I'd ask that you pay shipping...its in a big box. If you aren't interested in "restoring" it then I'll hold on to it.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Flamingo kid. I have a 1967 Rockguard that I took off of my trailer when I replaced with a new one. The fibergalss has some cracks and holes in it which is why I replaced. Some folks try to stay original and will patch or recut the fiberglass to keep it. You can have it if you want. Has the frame and arms still attached. I'd ask that you pay shipping...its in a big box. If you aren't interested in "restoring" it then I'll hold on to it.

We certainly ARE interested... do you happen to be on the list of vintage travelers to Colorado Springs next month??

And do you happen to have a picture of it? Is it the right size for our Ambassador???
the closest measurement I can get (in the pouring rain) is 22x 40, but I'm not positive on that!

Thanks you for answering us.. I would really rather have a vintage one!
Old 06-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Tin Hut Offer

I see that we ARE both signed up for the Colorado Rally.. would you rather that we pay you freight for the guard or would it be OK to bring it to the Rally?

Figure out the freight amount and let me know..... Rockford, IL 61103

Also, it would be nice to have it installed before we go to Colorado, but I doubt we will have time to get it rebuilt before the time comes.. so really there is no hurry.

Gary & RaChelle
Old 06-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Cool Tin Hut Is A Very Nice Guy!!!

The Rock Guard came today and fits the trailer. It's in MUCH better shape than you made it sound.

It's wonderful to have a vintage one.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Quote:
Old 01-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Got ANOTHER Rockguard for ANOTHER 67?

Quote:
I'm sure you're fresh out, but it so happens I'm looking to buy a 67 that's in need of a rockguard. Any idea where I can find another used one in great shape? Hate to pay $300 for a new one, but I may have to!