Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Rock guard rebuild-71 safari

136. bucks for the lexan and here it is!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rockgrd-done 001.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	25607  
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Smile Did you build the frame?

That looks very good. Did you already have the alum frame for the rock guards or did you fabricate it?

I need to have one !!

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
rock guard rebuild

Steve-no I didnt make the frame-its the original-I just replaced with lexan [the original one was too far gone to use] heres a pic of it before it broke up--jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1001458.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	25621  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Jim
Looks good,
Did you use 1/16 or 1/8or ?? Lexan?
Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
thanx Don -I used 1/8 in. lexan-tuff stuff!--jim
Old 09-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
its in three pieces-with 1/8x3/4 covering the 2 seams--had to bow them out to allow room for the braces to not hit againest the lexan--also had to take 1 in. off the lenght of the brace arms
Old 09-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #7
Me loves da little twinky

1971 18' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
1966 26' Overlander
Portlandish , State of Flux
Send a message via AIM to Rivka
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesardis
its in three pieces-with 1/8x3/4 covering the 2 seams--had to bow them out to allow room for the braces to not hit against the lexan--also had to take 1 in. off the length of the brace arms
can you show some side pictures and some shots of the underside? I have a 71 caravel whose window guard is about to crumble, i was thinking of replacing with another material also. I would love to see and hear more details of how you made room for the braces. and why the 1" off the brace length? did it let it sit more flush?

Rivka

PS i am pondering using some sort of perforated aluminum, and also doing something matching over the side and rear windows as well, to basically make ridged awning over each of my windows
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
Hi,I've got the same rock guard with unsightly yellowed epoxy holding the cracks together--the neighbors have many names for it!I, too, would appreciate several close-up photos of your replacement--especially the underside and how you modified things to fit. From looking at mine, it didn't seem possible to use flat sheets of lexan due to the forward protrusion of the braces. I was dreading having to spend big on a new guard assembly, but it's great to see that may not be necessary....Gary H.4slice'77 31'
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I also missed this thread back in Sept. I also have a rock guard that is being held together in spots with duct tape and could use some fixin' up.

I would like to see detailed pictures of how it works with the arms. Also, how do you cut the lexan? I have had trouble shattering plexi when cutting it, does lexan also crack and shatter if you drill or cut it wrong?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Rivka

Rivka-sorry for the late reply-when I covered the 2 seams with 4 pieces of 1/8x3/4" alum.[ used a piece on the outside AND on the inside of the guard on each of the two seams]- I bent them outward alittle to make room for the brace hardware-also remounted the guard-brace attachment point about 1 and 1/2" highter up the inside alum. seam piece so as to place it where the most room was-right at the "bend".Which then necessated the brace arm to be shortened about 1"--worked great. I then made and riveted on, two new pieces[1/8x3/4"alum.] for the inside-bottom of this guard frame for the black, spring loaded hold-down thingys to attach to-shaped like a capital "U'-extending out[ in ] about 1/2"[on the inside of the guard frame] thus giving me alittle more room between the lexon and the brace hardware--whew! clear as mud!--jim
Old 11-01-2006, 04:46 AM   #11
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
rock guard rebuild pic

heres a pic-I will take better pics later and repost-jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rockgrd-done 003.jpg
Views:	205
ID:	27853   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockgrd-done 004.jpg
Views:	201
ID:	27854  

Name:	rockgrd-done 005.jpg
Views:	230
ID:	27855  
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #12
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4slice
Hi,I've got the same rock guard with unsightly yellowed epoxy holding the cracks together--the neighbors have many names for it!I, too, would appreciate several close-up photos of your replacement--especially the underside and how you modified things to fit. From looking at mine, it didn't seem possible to use flat sheets of lexan due to the forward protrusion of the braces. I was dreading having to spend big on a new guard assembly, but it's great to see that may not be necessary....Gary H.4slice'77 31'
------------------------------------------------------------------4slice--Ya me too- 136 bucks--mo better!!-jim
Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 AM   #13
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I also missed this thread back in Sept. I also have a rock guard that is being held together in spots with duct tape and could use some fixin' up.

I would like to see detailed pictures of how it works with the arms. Also, how do you cut the lexan? I have had trouble shattering plexi when cutting it, does lexan also crack and shatter if you drill or cut it wrong?
-Stephanie-lexon is muy tuff--I used a sabre saw --and cut on the side that had the protective film so as not to scratch it--I took a 4" x 34" piece and bent it back and forth and couldnt break it!!--tuff stuff lexan--jim
Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Lexan

Stephanie,
Lexan can be cut and drilled without worry of cracking. Plexiglass is not the same. Cut the Lexan with a saber saw or jig saw for ease....any saw will do. File the rough, sharp edge off. Drilling holes is no problem either if you have to. Plan on a drill size that is one size larger than the bolt going thru the glass. If you use Lexan for the windows...pay attention to what Andy (Inland) had to say. Use Lexan SR (scratch resistant). You can get Lexan in tinted colors too ............OOOOOOO LA LA! I get mine at plastic wholesaler in North Dallas.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
oversized holes a MUST

Nice looking guard! Lexan is used for many cockpits in experimental aircraft. It is very strong. When installing lexan you need to oversize the holes to allow for movement of the lexan. It is sensitive to temp change and expands and contracts. I have replaced a number of cockpit door lexan panels that were not installed correctly. You will get lots of spider cracks at each hole you drill if you do not oversize the hole. Jigsaws work well as do aircraft snips for cutting. A surform plane will clean up the edges nice and quick. Then follow up with 80 grit in any area that might be exposed to human contact. The best product I have found is Brillianize available from TAP plastics, for cleaning. Pledge also works.It's really nice to see some great work being done out there.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Questions

Doorgunner (and others),

My PO had a new lexan rock-guard installed. The crew he hired to polish the skin spilled something on it that "melted" the surface. Anything that you know of that might smooth/polish it out?

Also, when doing woodwork, I often put down some masking tape to avoid splintering the edges. Would there be any benefit to doing that with lexan?

How did your front sofa arrangement turn out? I saw the removal at the rally, was just wondering.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Dave; Thanks for helping remove the gaucho. As far as the melted area - without seeing it I suggest you put a sticker over the wound! I usually mark my cut edge with a marker - use aviation snips to cut close to the line then finnish up with the sureform plane. Lexan is quite easy to work with but the edges left unsmoothed can bite you. As far as the front room goes not much is happening. I've just located a few very new products that look just like the carbon fiber I was planning on using. This makes me happy as aluminum and carbon don't really like each other all that much. I'll start a thread on this when I get started! And don't forget to debur the holes you drill in the lexan!!
Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good tips, thanks.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:14 AM   #19
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Gunner, thanx for the tips-I did not oversize the holes,but if you have ever seen a 71 frame-is very flexible-am hoping that it will expand or contract with the lexan! I will watch them closely-As you can see my lexan is only slightly tinted [its all they had]-I wonder if something could be added to the underside to make it alittle darker?--thanx--jim
Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #20
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
just keep watching it! Seein as you never leave the dirt no one will get hurt!!I kinda like the lighter shade, makes for a brighter winter day. Hey maybe you should have a winter and a summer sheild. Have fun Tim