Old 04-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
sck
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Question Rock Guard options -2016 Sport

I am new to this airstream world and just purchased a 22 ft Sport. It doesn't have front lower rock guards. The dealer I called said they come from Europe and are $600 each plus installation. Should I invest in them? Someone suggested mud/rock flaps from Airstream that go on the front of the hitch?
Would appreciate your input!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck View Post
I am new to this airstream world and just purchased a 22 ft Sport. It doesn't have front lower rock guards. The dealer I called said they come from Europe and are $600 each plus installation. Should I invest in them? Someone suggested mud/rock flaps from Airstream that go on the front of the hitch?
We purchased our 22 ft. Sport new in 2015 ... probably from the same dealership that you're purchasing from ... the rock guards have already served their intended purpose well on several occassions. I would highly recommend purchasing them ... if you're purchasing your Airstream from the same dealership that we did ... watch them very closely ... not the best service around ... just saying ........

Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Look at the Towtector. Best price I've found is from realtruck.com. A friend used the Towtector on his F-150 towing an FC25 and said he had zero rock dings on his front shields. They come highly rated by other users who have written evaluations. I'm ordering a set tomorrow.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #4
sck
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
We purchased our 22 ft. Sport new in 2015 ... probably from the same dealership that you're purchasing from ... the rock guards have already served their intended purpose well on several occassions. I would highly recommend purchasing them ... if you're purchasing your Airstream from the same dealership that we did ... watch them very closely ... not the best service around ... just saying ........
Did they have to order the rock guards from Europe? We are hoping to take a trip in a few weeks and they said it could be 2-3 weeks before they arrive.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
When taking our 2016 23' Safari to Jackson Center, OH for warranty work in 2008, I purchased an EXTRA pair of rock guards there. They appear to be identical to those on the 25' International. These were taken out of the warehouse in Jackson Center. I do not recall the price, but at the time were more than I expected.

If you tow on gravel roads a lot, they are necessary for the lower three feet. You will also have 'errant' stones being tossed 'up in front' and go over your tow vehicle's cab and ding the area about where the Airstream logo is located. Passing vehicles with a tread full of gravel in their treads are tossed up and over onto the top front Airstream area... It is like getting a stone under your toes of a pair of sandals. It does happen... you will discover that yourself.

I have seen panels at RV dealerships where one, maybe both were removed and replaced with new panels. I would not be bashful about even a pair of used panels being installed. Another target for the up and over the hood is the center window plastic guard. Never had a side window plastic guard dinged, but a couple on the center. That is what they are for.

Maybe a sheet of stainless steel curved and popped riveted where the factory panels would be installed. Some spacers where the stainless and aluminum do not collect grit and grind the aluminum finish. Someone restoring Airstreams probably has this figured out and can do you a pair for a reasonable price. If not reasonable... fit a factory set. They may vary depending on models... I do not know.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
stratford , Connecticut
We just had segment protectors installed on our 2012 16 ft Bambi. We acquired enough dings in 4 years that we felt it was a good investment. We don't boon dock or go off road. Mostly just private campgrounds but there is so much gravel that we are always picking it up in the treads. It was pricey, about $1300 for the segments and installation done at the dealers, but Bambi is a pricey trailer too! 😀
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Don't waste your money. Good mud flaps for the tow vehicle are available everywhere.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
check outofdoorsmart they are in North Carolina and they don't come from Europe
Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I question the dealer comments that Airstream brings the stone guards from Europe. They build all the trailers in Jackson Center and ship the model 22 really narrow body variants to the UK for interior completion.

The reality is that most dealers try to operate with nearly zero inventory and let the customer stew in their own juices while parts are ordered in for each job.

We put Rock-Tamers on the back of our ton tow vehicle with the bottom edge just a few inches off the ground. That stopped the rocks from coming from the tow truck tires.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Rock Tamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Don't waste your money. Good mud flaps for the tow vehicle are available everywhere.
I have the stone guards on our 30' Excella. Although I didn't have an issue, I installed Rock Tamers on mine. They mount on the hitch and are removed when you take the hitch out of the receiver. I mounted them one inch above the ground, parked on a level plane. I'm happy with them.
My $0.02 worth.
Jim
Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I had a 22 Sport. If you do not get segment protectors now, you will regret it. Mud flaps did not work for me. They are $926 from Airstream Supply in Utah. They are not fun to install because the hinge does not contour to the front panels. If you do it yourself, make sure all the hardware is there.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Have the rock tames on my hitch (2014 gmc 1500)
work well but on gravel/dirt roads they change the airflow over the back of truck (have camper top over pickup bed) so I end up with tons of talcum power type dust in p/u bed. Bummer!. But. No dings!
Just have to check and retighten bolts Tha hold them to hitch shank.
Bought them from wbcc club at Jackson ctr. They were on sale. Check em out they might give you a break on the price.
I think they were worth the money.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Quote:
We had the dealer install the rock guards on our 2015 sport 22fb and they work great. They were ordered from AS in Ohio.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Did they have to order the rock guards from Europe? We are hoping to take a trip in a few weeks and they said it could be 2-3 weeks before they arrive.
I do recall the dealership making reference to the rock guards as "European" but I'm not convinced they are imported from Europe. It did take a couple weeks for them to arrive and to be installed. With regard to the mixed feedback you're receiving on rock guards versus mud flaps ... I'll explain how the rock guards saved the front of our 22 ft. Sport as follows:
We were traveling at a rate of speed of approximately 60 MPH on the 130 Toll Road ... a vehicle about 100 yards in front of us was carrying wood pallets on a flat bed trailer. Suddenly the tie down that was holding the wood pallets broke and several wood pallets took flight in the air in front of us. My greatest concern was one of the pallets coming through front glass of our truck and taking our heads off. With luck I timed it accurately where the one pallet taking direct aim out our vehicle landed in front of our truck and when our truck ran over the pallet it broke into large pieces that beat the underneath side of our truck and the front of the Airstream (multiple large pieces impacting the front of the Airstream). When I pulled to the side of the road and inspected the front of the Airstream I was pleased to see that only a couple thumbnail size dings were the only damage to the Airstream. So ... we're not just talking rocks that rock guards safeguard an Airstream against ... there are many other things that can impact an Airstream. So ... mudflaps would not have saved the front of our Airstream ... only rock guards could have ... and did ... save the front of our Airstream. By the way ... the idiot that sent "pallet projectiles" flying into us kept moving right on down the road without any regard for any injury they caused ... so if we had incurred injury to ourselves or to our Airstream ... it would have been our insurance to have gotten stuck with the bill.
Sorry for the long dissertation ... just thought you may find this example helpful in making your own determination of what you feel is the right investment for your $50K Airstream.