Old 04-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas

Thank goodness you were ok and now I really understand the reason for the rock guards. It really is a shame they don't put them on at the factory!

I did call to order them yesterday and the dealer is suppose to call back today to confirm they can get them in within the next month as summer is quickly approaching and we are hoping to make at least one trip in early May and take off for quite a while there after and take the airstream with us.

Needless to say I am on a BIG learning curve! I should be able to keep my mind active and alert between all the info I need to learn about the airstream and we haven't even started to figure out the features on a new truck!

Enjoy you summer- feel free to throw me advice whenever you think of something! Best wishes.

sck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:34 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
As an Airstream newbie myself (who also bought from the same dealer ... probably), welcome. Outside of a few things, I don't think most of the learning you need is unique to AS. I think it's the whole RV thing.

I do find it surprising that rock guards aren't on the 22. We have a 23 and it has them, but then it's dual vs. single axle. Honestly, I never even thought about that when we were looking. But after reading various threads here and watching some of the videos on youtube, seems rock guards will save you some $$$ in the long run.

Have fun in your AS. We've only made one trip in ours (a short visit to Marble Falls), just to take it out and find any issues (we found a strange one). I'd recommend if you haven't already, doing something similar. Nothing worse than finding out something isn't working quite right when you need it (turns out the first time we needed our heater in our previous camper, we found it didn't work ... 30 degrees without heat isn't exactly fun).

wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Yes I think I will be ordering rock guards today!
We did a soft camp this weekend at our ranch (it was handy to have access to water, bigger frig, etc ) but we did stay in it full time otherwise and learned a lot- although I see we still have a steep learning curve! But we are excited an anxious to hit the road!
sck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Originally Posted by sck View Post
feel free to throw me advice whenever you think of something! Best wishes.

I started a thread to document some changes we've made to our 22 ft. Sport. Other owners of 22 ft. Sports have been kind enough to share changes they've also made to their Airstream. I have more changes planned ... but thought you may find this thread helpful ... or possibly interesting:

Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote