Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Courtenay , British Columbia
Rock Guard Grief

Not long after bringing our 2013 FC home last summer I discovered the lower rock guards had been rubbing against the body on both sides. I cleaned it up and applied some anti-friction tape to lesson the damage.
Other than the usual road rash for a 5 yr old, there are no dents on either of the panels and no accident damage.
It's not a huge issue but I am curious if this is common with the breed or if it is a one off type of thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4175.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	334535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4176.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	334536  

Aircanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I’m wondering if something was lodged in between the skin and the guard at that point. I only open mine up for cleaning so it’s possible something could lodge itself in there a day after cleaning and be in there for months on the road without noticing. Until now I’ve not had anything similar. I’ll see when we get ready for camping in April.

Haven’t heard much about this in the forums either. Not sure how or if that can be cleaned. Aesthetically it’s behind the rock guard so it’s just our little secret [emoji3] - but if it’s damaged, you probably want to treat it so it doesn’t spread, or patch it.

I’m sure someone will chime in with more helpful advice on how to handle it. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good suggestions.

You should be able to look down there, Aircanuck, to see if there is a clearance problem IMO. When you shut the outer guard [*], does the locking mechanism line up correctly, or was the shape maybe torqued by someone hanging on it when open?

It can be bent back to shape, but this operation is above my pay grade. See other posts in this sub-forum, such as:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...nt-183806.html

BTW welcome to the forum!

Peter

[*] PS -- "Segment Protector" is the correct term.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Rock Guard/Segment Protector Grief

Thanks for the greeting. Loving the Airstream Life!
No problem lining up the fasteners. The rubbing is in the same spot on both protectors. The protectors do not appear to be deformed so I suspect an installation issue.
Oh well. Stopped in at San Jose Airstream in our travels a few weeks back and the salesman charmed my wife with the International trim levels.
I'll be sure to swing open the guards on my next pre-purchase inspection.
A February Flock in Northern California!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5972.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	334550  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If your segment protectors were not OEM from the factory, it is possible that someone added them and used ones with the wrong curve IMO. Not all AS front curves are created equal IMO.

Then again, the factory is not the most organized place in the world apparently, so the assembly line might have simply used the wrong part IMO.

I guess you bought a used AS? Any warranty still left? I would complain like heck, because that wear point will eventually cause an expensive problem IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Rock Guard/Segment Protector Grief

Thanks for the thoughts. The protectors are OEM and at 5 yrs young I would think the warranty is TX'd but I will chase down a response from Airstream.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I had a contact point, but not as severe as the OP. I reshaped the panel carefully. Problem solved.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
This thread made me look today while I was at the trailer.
I couldn't see anyplace where the rock guard was touching. It seemed to be consistent 1 1/2" or so.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote