Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Annandale , New Jersey
Rock Guard Flips Off (2005 Classic)

Morning,
Just back from a weekend of camping. When we parked the trailer we noticed that the Rt front rock guard was missing. Was able to re-track and find the guard along the roadside. On examination, was surprised that the guard front hinge was held on to the trailer front body by 4 piddling screws and what appears to be some type of grey caulking material. Apparently the screws let loose and the guard rotated out away from the trailer sufficiently to catch the wind and rip entirely off where its attached on the right side of the trailer by the door. The guard is in pretty good condition apart from some heavy scraping on the trim. The attachments by the door will need to be replaced as the screws pulled out of the metal. I guess I was lucky it was not the left front guard which would have swung out into traffic and let loose with the potential of injury and an accident.
Question: have others experienced this and what way have you reattached the guard. Not impressed with Jackson Center, Ohio method of using 4 screws. Someone has told me the more recent models also have an attachment to the trailer body in the middle of the guard. Can this be bought from Airstream? Is this an option? Thanks
WBCCI #4058
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC
DL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The right and left rock guards are held in place by a pair of hinges on the outside edge, and a pair of twist lock screws on the inside edge. If the rock guard came loose, you should replace the rubber mounts that are attached to the window frame behind the center rock guard.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL46 View Post
Morning,
Just back from a weekend of camping. When we parked the trailer we noticed that the Rt front rock guard was missing. Was able to re-track and find the guard along the roadside. On examination, was surprised that the guard front hinge was held on to the trailer front body by 4 piddling screws and what appears to be some type of grey caulking material. Apparently the screws let loose and the guard rotated out away from the trailer sufficiently to catch the wind and rip entirely off where its attached on the right side of the trailer by the door. The guard is in pretty good condition apart from some heavy scraping on the trim. The attachments by the door will need to be replaced as the screws pulled out of the metal. I guess I was lucky it was not the left front guard which would have swung out into traffic and let loose with the potential of injury and an accident.
Question: have others experienced this and what way have you reattached the guard. Not impressed with Jackson Center, Ohio method of using 4 screws. Someone has told me the more recent models also have an attachment to the trailer body in the middle of the guard. Can this be bought from Airstream? Is this an option? Thanks

Are you talking about Stainless steel guards or the window rock guard? Sounds like the Stainless but not sure.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Annandale , New Jersey
Metal rock guards

Wsmith,
Sorry for the confusion. Its the metal rock guards that cover the aluminum body of the trailer below the windows. Not the window covers. Did not realize that these are stainless steel. I thought they were aluminum. Any assistance would be appreciated.
WBCCI #4058
Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
On my 81 Excella the rubber mounts for the locking screws went to cr**. I just ran 1" #8 stainless sheet metal screws and have had no problem. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I had trouble with my ss shields coming undone on my last trailer. You can purchase the new type of mounting hardware for those to replace the old. I had replaced the old type rubber mount 1/4 turn type with the bolt and acorn nut style on my 80's something trailer. I bought what I needed from Out of Doors Mart to do the conversion. It takes some drilling on both the shields and extra holes on the trailer body but the new system is heads above the old style and is rock solid.
With all the measuring and double checking myself it took a better part of the day to get it all done.
The online store at Out of Doors Mart has pictures of the componets needed and prices. I found them to be very helpful on the phone to sort out exactly what I needed to do the job when I ordered the parts.
Or, you can do what Sal did, and that would work too. I did that for a while, but then just upgraded when I had the time and money to do it.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Annandale , New Jersey
Thanks Bluto and All for input. Will check into these options.
WBCCI #4058