Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet Rivets for window rock guard hinge

I have a 93 excella and one of the rivets was loose on the hinge for the right stone guard so I popped it out but soon realized it's a shallow well pocket and my rivet gun will not go between the glass frame and the stone guard to resecure it. What type of rivet is used for this hinge attaching to the stone guard?

(I've seen plastic ones that you pop the head in and the base expands but not aluminum ones)
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hi arcamedies:
I just had to replace the plexiglass in my rock guard frame due to warpage and a rock strike. Removing the rivets caused me to change the hole diameter for the rivets in a few cases. I found it much easier to through bolt with SST machine screws and nilock nuts. It'll make the next replacement easier by a long shot and it does'ent look bad at all.
Hope this helps.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
What Del Gurney said. It Worked for me. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Keeping it original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
Hi arcamedies:
I just had to replace the plexiglass in my rock guard frame due to warpage and a rock strike. Removing the rivets caused me to change the hole diameter for the rivets in a few cases. I found it much easier to through bolt with SST machine screws and nilock nuts. It'll make the next replacement easier by a long shot and it does'ent look bad at all.
Hope this helps.
Thought about that but trying to keep it original so look for what goes there from the factory if possible.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
Hi arcamedies:
Hope this helps.
Can you tell me where you got the new plexiglas? I have a side rock guard that I need to replace the plexiglas on. I think I need a new piece cut and riveted but I don't know a supplier of plexiglass to contact. Any contact you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
drevell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can find suppliers on the net. But plexiglass is not the right product. You want what is known as "Lexan". It is more suited for use as a rock guard.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote