Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Remove '68 Latch for Rockguard

Okay...So my new rockguard is a little larger than the old one...Does anyone know how to remove the black latch at the bottom? (see pic)
I popped one of (it's held on by two rivets) however, I can't figure out how to take it apart so I can re-attache it...It like a frickin' puzzle

Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #2

1968 22' Safari
fall city , Washington
latch

On the bottom side of the movable latch there should be a small hole you
could insert a pick to release a clip to slide the lever off. I noticed 3’’ to
the right is the original mounting location and wear marks for the draw
type latch. Vintage trailer carries them and the original rock guard.My
trailer has the original still on it and I was looking to install a new one from
vintage. Hope this helps. Barry
finnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberphotos View Post
Okay...So my new rockguard is a little larger than the old one...Does anyone know how to remove the black latch at the bottom? (see pic)
I popped one of (it's held on by two rivets) however, I can't figure out how to take it apart so I can re-attache it...It like a frickin' puzzle

That looks like the latch Airstream used to hold the screen door to the main door. If it is, they are pretty much single-use. That is, if you try to pry the top piece off to get at the attaching screws or rivets, the little plastic slides will probably break off.
Originally the rock guard had a pair of rubber grab handles to hold it on, and the new one should attach the same way.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
IF you are very gentle with it - it can be taken apart and put back together. I've done it several times (when I thought there was no way to find them anymore) and haven't lost one yet. The ears may break off but - slide it all the way to the open position and from the rear gently pry up and to the side. Watch it as it comes apart - it goes back the same way...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Howe , Indiana
Latches keep breaking??

Hi,

Not sure if this is the thread to post in but couldn’t find info anywhere else on this. When I purchased my ‘72 Overlander the previous owner told me that the flexible rock guard latches had broken twice while he owned the AS and he’d replaced them both times. When I pulled my newly purchased AS home it only had one working latch and the other has since broken.

I’m not a huge fan of shelling out for these expensive latches if they’re just going to break all the time. Any ideas? They are the 3” model, if that means anything.

Thanks
rogerssj23 is offline   Reply With Quote