Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Question Purpose of rear rock guard?

This might be a dumb question,but......I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the purpose of the rear rock guard is, other than providing a sun shield. On my AS its on the rear bath window. I have one that I took off because I don't like how it looks with it. If I don't get a good reason to keep it, I will probably sell it to someone who wants one.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Never seen one...maybe it's for those really talented drivers that back up gravel roads, very fast...
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Did you happen to notice if there is a tongue on that end of the trailer too? Maybe you can tow it from either end?
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYW164 View Post
This might be a dumb question,but......I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the purpose of the rear rock guard is, other than providing a sun shield. On my AS its on the rear bath window. I have one that I took off because I don't like how it looks with it. If I don't get a good reason to keep it, I will probably sell it to someone who wants one.

MARYW164, My best guess is that a previous owner liked the idea of more privacy when bathing. I would like to see what it looks like as I need a rock guard on the front of my trailer and would be interested if you really want to sell it. you can PM me a picture of it or send one to my e-mail address. Thanks, Ed

[moderator note: open publishing of emails attracts spammers to you. click another member's profile and send him your email in a PM. Thanks]
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Mary.

Rockguards are also a "awning" if you wish.

They do make a difference by keeping the sun off the glass.

Perhaps the previous owner had to park his Airstream with the back of it to the sun.

While they may look "different" on the rear window, they do have a purpose.

I am assuming the rockguard is from Airstream and not a home brew?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Maybe there was a kid in the neighborhood who enjoys throwing rocks a little too much...
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
My trailer has a sign over the window on the inside that says not to put any type of guard over the back window as it is an emergency exit.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
FYI: This is not the wrap around type. We are the 3rd owners, so not sure if its original. It doesn't look to be a "home brew" as Inland Andy called it. It is just the size to cover the bath window. We were thinking of getting an awning to match the side ones instead. I will take a pic and try to post it later today.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
I just had a thought.....this sunshield/rockguard would probably fit one of the older model AS (60's or prior) that only had the one window in the front (no curved wing windows). So if anyone needs one for that purpose this would work nicely for you. I will also measure it when I take the photos.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Photos

Here is a pic of the rock guard/ sun shield. It measures 48" wide by 26.5" high. It has the "C" channel on top to attach to trailer like the windows do. It also has side arms to hold it up when open. Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR ROCKGUARD SUNSHIELD_4602.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	80262  
Old 05-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Here is a pic of the rock guard/ sun shield. It measures 48" wide by 26.5" high. It has the "C" channel on top to attach to trailer like the windows do. It also has side arms to hold it up when open. Any comments?
I am not aware of a horizontal cross bar being on any rockguard made by Airstream.

Andy
Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
It is very well made, maybe it came off an Avion or something similar. It fits nicely over the window. So it would work for anyone who needs one for their front single window. It almost looks better made than our front 3 piece wrap around rock guard.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Andy, I need new rubber seal(for the 3 piece) for the inside where it meets the trailer. Do you stock it? Will the new "T" type hold downs work on this type of rockguard? Also ours has what looks like a rubrail type trim on the outside (decorative I guess), do you have that too? I will post a pic if you need one. Thanks, Mary
Old 05-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
FYI: This is not the wrap around type. We are the 3rd owners, so not sure if its original. It doesn't look to be a "home brew" as Inland Andy called it. It is just the size to cover the bath window. We were thinking of getting an awning to match the side ones instead. I will take a pic and try to post it later today.

Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify; When I said that on my trailer the back window is an emergency exit, all I am trying to say is, just check so you are not blocking a vital exit for yourself. Makes no difference if it is a wrap around or not.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
My trailer has a sign over the window on the inside that says not to put any type of guard over the back window as it is an emergency exit.
Diffrence in the safety laws from 1972 and 1987. Government and litigation became more involved in what manufactures produced.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Andy, I need new rubber seal(for the 3 piece) for the inside where it meets the trailer. Do you stock it? Will the new "T" type hold downs work on this type of rockguard? Also ours has what looks like a rubrail type trim on the outside (decorative I guess), do you have that too? I will post a pic if you need one. Thanks, Mary
I sent you an e-mail regarding the rock guard. Please read it and respond. It is from caredcarver@aol.com Thanks, Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Mary.

A 72 31 foot trailer would use a one piece rockguard.

Please post a photo, if you can, then I will try to help you.

Andy
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Thumbs up Pay it forward

Ed,

We recently were fortunate enough to receive many donor parts for our '72 Sovereign from a fellow airforum.com member (Minno). All that was expected from us for his time & trouble was the cost of having it packed properly and the shipping costs. As you well know this type of generousity, and vintage donor parts are rare to find these days, but really needs to be resurrected in these trying economic times. A help they neighbor attitude. In the spirit of paying it forward, all we ask is that you do the same if you want the rock guard. We will have it packed up and calculate the shipping costs if this is acceptable to you. Someday you can do the same for the next person in need. In fact I'm going to start a thread to this effect to tell my story and encourage others to do the same. I hope it catches on. It would be a shame for these parts to go to a landfill somewhere when they can be used and loved (LOL).

Reply when you get a chance.

Happy Trailering!

Mary & Steve
Old 05-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
A new HOME!

I have already e-mailed Mary & Steve on the rock guard and it will soon have a new home on my trailer. I wish to publicly thank them for the Airforums spirit they have extended (to me) by only charging to pack and ship the rock guard to me. This is indeed the way we forums members choose to show our willingness to help out others here. I cannot say enough about the kindness it takes to make an offer such as this and I will not soon forget it. Thanks again... and Happy Trails, Ed
Old 08-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Update, pay it forward

Rock guard is again up for dibs. It turns out BIGED52 is no longer interested. It measures 48" wide by 26.5" high. It has the "C" channel on top to attach to trailer like the windows do. It also has side arms to hold it up when open. You just need to add hold downs, and the screws to attach. Otherwise it's in great shape. We believe it was made by C&G Trailer here in SoCal, as was our front rock guard. The rock guard would probably fit one of the older model AS (60's or prior) that only had the one window in the front (no curved wing windows). So if anyone needs one for that purpose this would work nicely for you. I have also listed it in the forums classifieds. Below is a pic. It's the only one I have as it's already been packed for shipping.

Cost = packing and shipping costs only.

You can also pick it up, but I ask that you pay the $22 I've already paid for the packing.

Send me a PM or email with your zip so I can estimate the shipping costs. It will be sent via FEDEX as they seem to be the best price on shipping this size item.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear rock guard.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	85744  
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/