Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Poor Man's Rock Guard

I wonder if anyone has thought of this before. I was thinking that a cheap rock guard would be the suction matts you put in the bottom of your tub. They stick with suction cups so they should not come off and if you only use then when you are on the road they should not mess up the finish. You could just put one at each corner and go. Eventually I will come up with something better but for the short run it seems like it would work.

So what do folks use for rock guards anyway?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Are you talking about the "segment protector" metal guards over the lower curved panels at the nose? Or the rock guards protecting the windows?

While not nearly as cheap as suction-cup tub mats, for about half the cost of the conventional Airstream rock guards for the windows I've bought canvas covers for the panos that are filled with high-density foam and attach with Common Sense fasteners originally designed for use on yachts. It was originally SmokelessJoe's idea, and I had mine made by the same company that made his. I'm having the Common Sense fasteners installed this week, but you can see his installation here.

One advantage that I appreciate is that I'll still be able to see through the trailer in my rear-view mirror.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am trying to prevent dents on the lower curved sections. The ones that get rock dents. I have seen newer Airstreams with what looks like some sort of glue on stainless steel rock protectors for the lower front panels.

Perry
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Here's a link to the ones I designed 9 years ago:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ors-46690.html
Nick.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
That is really cool! Great idea on the tub mats, too. Hmmm, Really good ideas....
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I am trying to prevent dents on the lower curved sections. The ones that get rock dents. I have seen newer Airstreams with what looks like some sort of glue on stainless steel rock protectors for the lower front panels.

Perry
What you're talking about is what Airstream calls "segment protectors." Apparently they're hinged, and the hinge is applied to the Airstream with rivets.

Here's a thread about them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah a poor man's version of that. I am going to try the suction cup bath matt and see what happens. The more stupid it looks the better. Maybe I can find some in hot pink or turquoise. Actually at some point I thought of making something that is supported by the frame and does not touch the skin at all. Maybe something out of stainless steel. I have some of that I could use.

Perry
Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I don't want to be the guy behind you when your suction cupped bath mats detach and and go whipping behind you. IMHO, that would not be a pleasant surprise and would be potentially dangerous to the traffic behind you.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well it will have to undergo some testing.

Perry
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I don't want to be the guy behind you when your suction cupped bath mats detach and and go whipping behind you. IMHO, that would not be a pleasant surprise and would be potentially dangerous to the traffic behind you.
I would write a violation ticket if I found such a contraption on a vehicle or trailer. Anything on the exterior needs to be securely fastened... suctions cups are not secure, and I guarantee with the amount of dust and shaking that goes on right behind your rear bumper, they wouldn't stay on long.

Bow Buddy Trailer Shield Features

Here is a link to a trailer-mounted canvas rock deflector. I bought one for my Basecamp after we lost a window due to a rock on the Alaska Highway. Worked well... was about $500.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote