Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Question Parts Prices

Just ordered a Rock Guard and they aren't getting any cheaper.
I talked with one dealer who said Airstream has a new set of prices this year and I was quoted prices ranging from $650.00 to $767.00 + shipping for the guard.
In 2003 they were $545.00 + shipping.
Does this appear to be a normal increase or is something happening to get such a big jump.
Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Parts Prices

Greetings Gary!

The Rock Guard is a costly item, but so too are the wing windows. If it weren't for the wing windows, I wouldn't have put a Rock Guard on my '78 Minuet as I really like the see-through ability without the guard (I replaced the flat glass in my Overlander's front window with Lexan to avoid potential problems with breakage).

I am guessing that you are probably looking at the three-piece Rock Guard if it is for your Minuet as the center secion must be narrowed in order for the current Rock Guards to fit its narrower body. I don't think that there would be an easy method to allow the one-piece wrap-around Rock Guard to be modified to fit the Minuet. If the factory will ship the three-piece unit "broken-down" there should be some significant savings in shipping - - a friend who ordered the one-piece wrap-around for a late model Airstream was shocked at the shipping cost as it had to be shipped truck freight due to dimensional size.

I "lucked out" when the Rock Guard was installed on my Minuet. I was able to buy the wing window guards on an E-Bay auction very reasonably and my Airstream dealer had a center section that had been damaged in transit that I was able to purchase for a very reasonable price (the damage was in the area that needed to be removed to narrow the guard to fit the Minuet).

Good luck in sourcing your Rock Guard!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote