Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Pawnee , Illinois
MIA: Front panorama window protector

Dear Airstreamers--
We're new to the forum; just registered and hope you can help us with a question. Has anyone ever "lost" a protectors from their panorama windows? We left our home in Illinois, went through the recent SERIOUSLY BAD weather in Missouri, and when we stopped in Kansas, were shocked to see that we were missing one of the window protectors. We had not seen or been aware of the window protector falling/blowing off the trailer, but we were in some very intense storms with high winds.

It has been mentioned in other postings that the means of fastening these protectors isn't extremely secure -- we can attest to that. We are thinking we'll attempt to purchase the part from A/S and install it ourselves. However, we now have some concern about how secure these actually are. Shouldn't these be anchored with more than a quarter-turn latch screw mechanism? Any information or anyone else's experiences would be appreciated.

Our trailer is a 75th edition Safari SE SE with panorama windows on both ends and queen bed in the front. Our second A/S -- first was a Bambi CCD. Love them!

Thanks,
Donna in Illinois (queen of Jim's "double-wide" trailer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May June 2011 co wyo sd 1183.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	132158  

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Hi, I haven't heard of this happening before, but if other's have had this concern, they will let us know. But I also heard that strange things happen in Kansas.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
I have an '85 and never open the wing protectors I just open the center window. It sounds like that is the same latch assembly used on airplanes on the engine compartment cowlings.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Pawnee , Illinois
Jim's guess is that the wind caught the protector at just the right angle to rip it off -- but we are astounded that we didn't notice it happen. We were in some very stormy conditions for part of our drive, but still -- it's hard to believe we could lose something that size and not see it happen.

Wsmith, same here -- we only open the center window and don't even do that very often, opening side windows and using the fans instead. If it's the same latch assembly used on airplanes' engine compartment cowlings, then it must be powerful, but it doesn't [I]look[I] that strong to me -- I'm probably sounding like a huge "duh" . . . .

It is indeed strange, Bob. Would that I could don my ruby slippers and the protector would be back where it belongs.

Geez, wouldn't it be great to be the first to have this weird thing happen and to have announced to the world that we weren't aware when it occurred?

Donna in Illinois (queen of Jim's "double-wide" trailer)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #5

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Pawnee , Illinois
Question one more about the missing rock guard/window protector

I've contacted our dealership to get parts to replace our missing rock guard/window protector (and inquired about the correct terminology -- I was told people use those terms interchangeably) and was asked to provide photos. I thought while I was sending them to the dealership, I'd post one on the Forum. This shows the upper innermost attaching device has been sheared off. The lower innermost is missing entirely, and the hinges are there, albeit bent.

At the risk of sounding dumber than ever, is the sheared metal an unusual occurrence?

Best from "I'm not in Kansas anymore" Donna in Illinois
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shows hardware that is sheared and missing and hinges.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	132546  
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I just got back from our local dealer where they replaced two of those half turn attaching gizzies. I have the same year coach as you do and two of the four connectors were stripped out and useless.

He told me that when they let loose as you are traveling down the road he has seen damage to the area behind the hinges. If they don't break off like yours did they can put a serious crease in the sheet metal just behind the window. I suppose you might consider yourself lucky in that you won't have to deal with that.

I always felt that mine were "tight enough" but now I think I will be checking a little closer.

Thanks for the post.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, looking at the way those rock guards are hinged, I guess we could call them suicide rock guards. Looks pretty weak to me, but maybe that is what saved you from more damage. I think I would, if I were you, make something to secure the side pieces to the center one; Like a clevis pin or something.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Donna,
How much was the protector?
I need to replace one of mine. On our recent trip along the Oregon Coast, a tree branch jumped into the road and bent the frame and cracked the plexiglass. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Pawnee , Illinois
It was $370 from Inland RV Center -- significantly less than I was quoted by the dealer where we purchased our trailer. The owner, Andy, and his staff were efficient, helpful -- they looked up some other info for me -- professional, NICE. We had the part within a day or so -- I don't recall exactly how long, but I was shocked at how quickly it arrived. I'd go back to them for anything we need in the future. Good luck! Donna

Here is how Andy responded to my inquiry:

There is an old style and new style 3 piece rockguard.

Your Airstream is "new" style, therefore there is only one to chose from, so it has to work.

The hinges are already on a new rock guard and should fit on the hinges that you still have on your trailer.

Call me tomorrow, if you wish, at 800-8777311.

Regards.

Andy