Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2002, 06:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lower Stone Guard Repair

The top outboard corner is attached to the trailer body by a twist fastener on older units. These become worn and loose with time.
To make the stone guard more secure, remove the old fastener and replace it with the new style channel shaped bracket from Airstream. It is secured to the body by six screws or rivets. I used stainless steel sheet metal screws. The guard is secured to the bracket by a 1/4" bolt. I used an acorn nut on the bolt so that there are no sharp edges. You can see the new style brackets on late model trailers.

Chuck
cesurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:22 PM   #2

Hey when you start working on a stainless steel rock procter make sure you put lots of rivits in it pre drill the holes in your shop. I have noticed brand-new owners with rock protecter blown off. I just had one riped off in a Dirt Devil. in west Texas. I looked at a new Bambi in Lubbock, Texas. They had factory guards with 3 alum. brackets and 4 rivits on each..this problem is very real. Put at least 12-15 rivits on the piano hing. The Stainless screws will get ripped out. Mine are on the road north of Plainveiw, Texas....along with a rock guard....Be alert to this problem....Jack the rat...
rathead is offline   Reply With Quote