Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Carson City , Nevada
Line-X or Rhinoliner protection

I am considering applying Line-X or Rhinoliner (1/4" thick, perhaps) on the front of my Argosy to protect the aluminum from rock damage. I am also fittinga new rock guard this week.

Has anyone used a spray-on bed liner to protect the front of their AS? How well did it do he job?

Thanks.

Mike
Mike S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I am considering applying Line-X or Rhinoliner (1/4" thick, perhaps) on the front of my Argosy to protect the aluminum from rock damage. I am also fittinga new rock guard this week.

Has anyone used a spray-on bed liner to protect the front of their AS? How well did it do he job?

Thanks.

Mike
Mike,
I know this has been discussed before. Did you try the search function? I know it looks a lot better if you can get a color to match the trailer Black looks funny.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
My husband just had line-x done on his truck bed and for an extra $ they color matched the line-x- from a distance you can't even tell there is a bed liner- of course his truck is dark metallic green. And- line-x over rhino liner any day!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Question, If you are installing rock guards why to you want to put on a bed liner? or are you putting it on the rock guards?

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
LineX/Rhinoliner and aluminum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

Thanks.

Mike
Hi Mike,

The first issue you will need to deal with is finding someone who is competent with either product AND aluminum.

Painting aluminum is difficult at best and calls for special primers that must be able to bond to the metal.

Metal preparation when working with aluminum is key.

I just had an aluminum flat bed on my truck covered with LineX; this solved the glare from the sun, slippery when wet and general abuse issues.

I searched long and hard before I found someone who had applied either product to aluminum.

Most of the people I spoke with at these shops knew that they had to do special tasks to prepare the aluminum AND apply the proper bonding agent if either was to work.

Only one told me he had someone who "knew what he was doing" who would do the aluminum flat bed prep work that involved very carefully sand blasting the entire surface. Doing work of this nature is NOT for the faint of heart. It would be very easy to remove lots of metal with a sand blasting tool. He told me they had done several this way and had no problems.

He also told me that they had decided to stop doing aluminum because of the problems they were having with the coating peeling off after a short period of time until they found the local gent who was doing the sand blasting.

I am very happy with the work they did. It cost $175.00 for the sand blasting over and above the actual primer and coating costs.

I have seen an entire Vanagon VW that was covered by one of these products in a magenta color. VERY different, but impervious to the elements and he did not have to wax it!

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would think the weight factor would also make one not consider it. Back of a truck is one thing hanging on the front of a trailer metal sweating and trailer bouncing and jarring, heat, cold expand contract, stress on body panels held on by rivits ect. I am curiouse how long it would last?
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 28' Ambassador
Hartford , Iowa
Hi Mike,
Rino-liner is the toughest product for protection I have ever seen. Try and get an aluminum color match, they have it.

Rusty L. Sinclair
RustyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I have used Rino-liner in the past and it looked great and held up better.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
we had a red color put on our mowers at our golf course where I work for the floor boards and steep. It was great and really lasts.
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I am curriouse to whether it will work in the vertical position, we know it will work in the horizontal position the weight of it self would hold it in place along with gravity. I would love to see some pictures once done and how long it will last.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I am curriouse to whether it will work in the vertical position, we know it will work in the horizontal position the weight of it self would hold it in place along with gravity. I would love to see some pictures once done and how long it will last.
Works on the walls of the truck bed- they spray the whole thing. You can even get your rig undercoated in this stuff. It real popular around here because of all the snow/salt in the winter. We love line-x the best- had it on the last truck and it was the first thing we did to our new truck. When we get the cap in for the truck we are thinking if having the inside of it sprayed to match also.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Not sure what this guy used but it didn't hold up to well!

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhino Liner 001.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	66023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhino Liner 002.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	66024  

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
Works on the walls of the truck bed- they spray the whole thing. You can even get your rig undercoated in this stuff. It real popular around here because of all the snow/salt in the winter. We love line-x the best- had it on the last truck and it was the first thing we did to our new truck. When we get the cap in for the truck we are thinking if having the inside of it sprayed to match also.
I know that but the wall of a truck bed is very different. When it is bouncing and jarring it is pushing down and on a angle inward so The only thing that could happen is a wrinkle in the middle or other side pop up. The airstream is very different nothing to push or rest down on. If it sags it will just work its way loose then fall of is what I would think?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I asked about the under coat thing to up at Line X I personally think Line x is the best but, that is what makes the world go round, anyways they were hesitant because of weight and the vary reason I spoke of. Moisture and the way it bonds to the side. I will probably keep an eye out for this now
Old 09-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Emmett , Michigan
Spray on Rock Shield Airstream option?

I just bought a 1977 Excella500 and it had a spray on rock guard. According to the PO he stated that this was an available option that was put on at Airstream. It is a matching gray color and is quite a bit different than the texture of rhino liner or line-x. He had it in his family for 22 years and it was always that way. is there truth to this statement? I have not brought the silver spaceship (as my daughters call it) home yet to really thoroughly investigate.

Nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept 08 069.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	67791  
nd48463 is offline   Reply With Quote