Old 12-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Home Made Flaps

I've had several questions steming from other threads about how I made my flaps for my TV, so decided to start a thread with pictures to help explain. These flaps funtion like the Enkays, but mount differently so they can be installed/removed without the hitch. They mount to the receiver, and also have a center flap, which is needed to protect the center of the trailer from rocks thrown up by the front tires. These things I've learned from two trips to Alaska. The first picture is of the center piece that slides over the reciever. The second picture shows how the cneter piece mounts. Third picture shows the flaps on the receiver, and the last shows the whole thing mounted on the truck. Notice also there are horizontal flap sections between the flap extentions and the bumper that prevents rocks from flying over the main flap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaps 001.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	578.6 KB
ID:	117218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaps 002.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	565.5 KB
ID:	117219  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaps 003.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	117220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flaps 004.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	574.9 KB
ID:	117221  

Old 12-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Thanks for the great pictures. It could be a challenge on the F-250. Not much room between the receiver and the bumper. But, I'll give it a go, if possible.

spent many hours today mapping out our trip. It looks like we may be biting off more than we can chew. We're trying to include stops to visit friends and relatives as well as 'places we've always wanted to visit'. As it is, I am at 27 days from MA to AK. I've tried to limit driving to 6hrs/day. That may be too little. But, at least we're starting to plan.

thanks again

Wayne

Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Wayne, I'm sure there are many ways this could be done. As a matter of fact, the first revision of these flaps mounted just like the Enkays, and worked fine. I just did not like the fact the flaps had to be removed when you removed the hitch head....made it too heavy and hard to handle. Also didn't like the fact you could not have the flaps on the truck without the hitch.

As far as driving time/distance, I'd recommend you do it the way you want. You may never get a chance to go there again.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Very nice and well thought out. I have an '08 Chevy Duramax with the huge trumpet exhaust that can get really hot, as does yours. I've seen a few flaps and skirts with a tell-tale hole where that exhaust is aimed directly at it. Have you had any problem with this? One other question, I replaced the OEM hitch with a Curt Hitch, but my receiver does not seem to project out nearly as much as yours. What are hitch are you using.

Also, you said the flap material is readily available? Where did you find it?

Thanks,

JimW

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks Jim. I bought the flap material at a truck supply place here, San Antonio Brake & Clutch. Each flap for an 18 wheeler is about $15 as I recall, and they are mounted sideways. The "material" is the same stuff the bed mats are made from....looks like revulcanized ground up tires.

My receiver hitch is the original GMC piece, but I did not like the extra "slop" allowed by the 2 1/2" receiver with the 2" reducer. So I went to Northern Tool and bought a blank 2" receiver tube, cut the end off of the 2 1/2" receiver, and welded the 2" tube into the cut 2 1/2" tube, creating a super tuff 2" receiver tube.

The "trumpet exhaust" is actually a cooling exhaust tip designed to cool the exhaust when the system has the Diesel particulate filter in the regeneration mode, and actually does a pretty good job. The exhaust temp is such that it will not damage the flap, even blowing directly on it. Especially if a certain "modification" has been done to the exhaust system.

PM me if you want to know more.