Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

1969 27' Overlander
Manassas , Virginia
Exclamation Having trouble removing old rock guard frame

HELP- We are trying to remove our old rock guard frame to send to a local glass place and have fitted with new tinted Lexan. The only problem is I can't get the darn thing off. I drilled out the rivet at the top so it can slide off it's hinge but the arms are still connected. The screw heads that hold the arm to the shell are rusted and not budging. Any ideas!? Please help!

silversistas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

1969 27' Overlander
Manassas , Virginia
photo

Here a the photo of the rock guard arm
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #3

1969 27' Overlander
Manassas , Virginia
added photo

Here is a photo of the rock guard arm
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
screw issue!

Erin and Kaitlin, Go to the nearest hardware or menards/Lowes/Home Depot and get a small container or muratic acid and use a few drops on the screws. (Use a plastic medicine dropper) Let it set 10 minutes and try to unscrew. What happens with metal screws in aluminum is a formed corrosion that causes the threads to lock to the skin and other aluminum such as frames etc. If you are afraid to use acid get a can of Liquid Torch and spray onto the screw heads. I find the acid will work much faster than any other method to break the corrosion loose and aloow the screws to be removed. If you break a screw head off in the process just drill out the screw with a drill bit of the same size as the screw and then used slightly larger Stainless Steel screws to re-attach the arms to the trailer. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Beaverton , Oregon
I had the same issue. Drilled out the rivets but the internal "L" bracket in the frame was ceased up. I cut the frame at the corner, re-installed formed plexiglass and installed a new "L" bracket on the trailer side of the frame rather than internal to the frame. Simple solution. I took my frames to a frame shop and a body shop and they through up their hands and gave up. Ended up doing the myself. I took the old plexiglass to a Plastic sign maker and he was able to form the curve in the plexiglas.
Blu4re is offline   Reply With Quote