Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Gravel Protection ON Trailer

Looking for advice: am planning a long trip with some gravel roads (Alaska and back) and want to do more regarding flying gravel protection. I've got terrific mud flaps and a stinger-mounted set of gravel guards. But even so, my front-mounted gravel guards on the A/S are pretty beat up from previous trips, and the trailer itself has got a few dings.

So: I'd like to hear from folks who have attached stuff right to to the front of the A/S for more protection (I've seen threads that mention cardboard, bubble wrap, etc.). What did you do, and how well did it work?

Ryanh
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Both times we went to Alaska ('08 & '10)we had big flaps on the truck, but they only do so much.

I duct taped 1/2" foam rubber sleeping bag pad material from WalMart all over the front of the trailer below the window rock guard, and that worked. The foam got damaged, but no damage under it.

One other thing you might consider...I noticed a lot of rock dings to the paint on the tongue of the trailer at the end of our '08 trip, so before we left this year I made a center flap for the back of the truck, and the tongue paint damage was greatly reduced. Seems the front tires of the truck throw up gravel that goes between the normal flaps.

The only problem is taking the goo off from the duct tape when we got back. A large bottle of GooGone solved the problem.

Good luck on your trip.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Looking for advice: am planning a long trip with some gravel roads (Alaska and back) and want to do more regarding flying gravel protection. I've got terrific mud flaps and a stinger-mounted set of gravel guards. But even so, my front-mounted gravel guards on the A/S are pretty beat up from previous trips, and the trailer itself has got a few dings.

So: I'd like to hear from folks who have attached stuff right to to the front of the A/S for more protection (I've seen threads that mention cardboard, bubble wrap, etc.). What did you do, and how well did it work?

Ryanh
All the copper tubing, underneath the trailer, should be wrapped and protected with foam tubing that is used on pipes.

Those rocks can crush the underbelly copper tubing enough to more than restrict the proper flow of LPG.

Some may say yes, others may say no. The best thing to do, is make sure that it "cannot happen".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
We've used temporary window covers made from sturdy foam camping pads; to secure them we've found that gaffer tape is far superior to duct tape, as it is not affected by high temperatures as duct tape often is. Also, I use 3M Adhesive Remover rather than Goo-Gone to reduce the chance of damaging what little remains of our 71's clearcoat.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote