Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
front window - some blood, new glass coming.

ok, so its ... 3 days before we leave on our monthlong road trip. we've had some near-misses over the last 8 months - *almost* smashing our heads on windows - and the LAST workday before our trip - ok, second to last - hubby is installing new WD hitch , or trying to.... stands up, and hits his head on the front corner window. LOTS of blood.... my dad (who has LITERALLY put nails through his fingers and not gone to the hospital) even says... uh oh! may need some stitches!

Well the good news is, no stitches. it eventually stopped bleeding ... but he has a 3/4" "T" shaped cut on his head and is going on day 2 of throbbing headache.

So after this mishap, we had put the window 'all the way up' (a 90 degree angle) to avoid any more boo boo's. last night we are cranking it down, and ..."CRACK"! whole window frame breaks, glass and all : /

was it due to the hard head injuring the window?

we cannot say.

i DO know that I have one last project to add to the list before we set sail.

NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Watch out for rocks

Birdie Momma-

Ouch!

While you're doing the work to replace the window, think about lexan -- unless you have a rock guard.

On our first trip, we had a rock hit our front window just outside Dallas. It was after about a month on the road. Nice, bug cracks and a major PITA.

We now have a lexan front window while I remain too lazy to fix the rock guard for the front window.

Have a GREAT trip!

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
So sorry, guys - we must be related. I cannot begin to fix one thing before I break something else.

Happy trails (once you get going)!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
If, the front window is replaced with glass (assuming corrugated fiberglass rock-guard is used), is there a consensus opinion on whether to use:
- Tempered glass ?
- Safety glass (with a plastic sandwich middle layer) ?
- standard plate glass ?
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
standard plate glass ? NO
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
hm. lexan may be a better idea. we had planned to replace with tempered, but it must be first cut to size then tempered, and with only 3 days to go we don't have time.

thankfully, VTS came through and shipped my order super fast (ordered late last night, got shipping notice this am. ), so we will have the glazing strip and tape.

wonder if this will cause any issues w/ with the lexan?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote