Old 11-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Front Window Plexiglas Guard Replacement

My newly purchased '71 Globetrotter has a cracked tinted plexiglass guard, the Airsteam unit that acts like an awning for the front windows. Can just the plexiglass be replaced locally, or is this one whole unit that I have to purchase from Airstream?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Your local glass and window place should be able to replace it with Lexan. You will never have it crack again.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltos
My newly purchased '71 Globetrotter has a cracked tinted plexiglass guard, the Airsteam unit that acts like an awning for the front windows. Can just the plexiglass be replaced locally, or is this one whole unit that I have to purchase from Airstream?

Thanks
The 1971 front window assembly has a curve to it. The original rock shields conformed to this curve. It might be difficult to replace this.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
The 1971 front window assembly has a curve to it. The original rock shields conformed to this curve. It might be difficult to replace this.
If that does turn out to be the case, any idea of cost for this item from Airstream?

Rock Shield...that is what it does.... is that how it is correctly referenced?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
If I remember, I paid about $750 for mine

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
If I remember, I paid about $750 for mine

Ken
Ouch! I may have to look at just replacing the plastic with 10 Gauge Aluminum or something!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yea - it wasnt' cheap - but it is nicely made. Aluminum would probably work if you have the frame.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
If it's the original rockguard, you're probably better off to scrap it. The old frames were flimsy. I have one from a '71 Caravel hanging in my toolshed. I tried a local glass repair shop to no avail.
The new shields are much sturdier and have tinted lexan. Inland RV sells them for $350 + freight.

Reference:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=rockguard

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Try a plastic shop. I have had many custom pieces made. A good shop should have heated tables and tools to form plastic to any shape you need. Take your broken piece in and see if they can reproduce it.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I agree with Tinsel Loaf. Try a plastics or glass shop. I went with the tinted Lexan and did all my windows. It's easy to cut and work with (better than plexy-glass) and its lighter than glass.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:53 AM   #11
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Been there, tried that.

aztlantco, did you read through the links I posted? This is not a new topic.
Lexan is a suitable replacement for a broken glass window pane. I cannot imagine that a glass repair shop will be able to custom mould a sheet of lexan to fit an original 1971 rockshield for less than the price of a new rockguard ($350). As I posted earlier, the old frames were flimsy. The repairman I checked with when I needed to replace the plastic in my '71 rockguard said the frame would not support the extra weight of lexan. Inland Andy concurred. The plastic or plexiglass was also bubble contoured to accomodate the support arms mounted underneath. A flat curved pane of lexan will not clear the protruding arms.
It is not as simple as it sounds and that's why I posted links to previous threads on this topic.
If boltos has a newer rockguard, replacing the plexiglass with lexan might be a viable option.
Reference:

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Rog;
I'm not trying to blow smoke up your stack (or wee in your pond). I did read the other posts and I know this is not a new topic but I thought that these forums were for people to post their solutions and opinions as to their experiences in solving the questions asked by others.
Lexan does not have to be molded when its a slight contour that you are trying to acheive as in the rock guard in question. The lexan will follow the shape of the frame when you start the riveting process, and at the same time giving "the flimsy frame" more strenght.
I've always thought that there are more ways than one to skin a cat, and for some of us who can't always afford to go out and buy this and that, it's a nice thing when you can find a different way to do something yourself and save a little dough.
Ernie (AztlanCo)
'58 Traveler 18ft.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 AM   #13
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlanco
I've always thought that there are more ways than one to skin a cat, and for some of us who can't always afford to go out and buy this and that, it's a nice thing when you can find a different way to do something yourself and save a little dough.
Ernie (AztlanCo)
Ernie, Im totally in favor of saving money wherever possible but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet. Based on my personal experience, trying to replace the pane in a 1971 rockguard was a total waste of time and $ for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlanco
Lexan does not have to be molded when its a slight contour that you are trying to acheive as in the rock guard in question. The lexan will follow the shape of the frame when you start the riveting process, and at the same time giving "the flimsy frame" more strenght.
As I mentioned above, A flush mounted panel of lexan will not clear rhe support arms. Perhaps the attached pic of my former '71 Caravel will better illustrate the problem. These old rockguards had a very limited lifetime. The new ones are much better constructed.
If anyone has had success with the subject pane replacement, I'd be very interested in hearing about it. I'm hanging on to the old frame just in case.

On edit: The image wouldn't load but you can see the same rockguard on post #1 of http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=rockguard

Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My 68 Caravel has a new 3/16 Lexan rock guard in a reinforced frame. This will stop anything. It is flat and I put on new hinges of the type used on yachts for hatches. Your options are only limited by your skills or wallet. But it takes one or the other. Even a 1/16 inch lexan will stop any rocks. The fact that the frame is flimsy means the frame isn't up to the job and poorly designed. I've never looked at your year but I've seen the newer replacement one's and they seem light. Build a new one. The nice thing about the lexan is I can now see out the back of the trailer while traveling with my read view mirror. Clearer than water this stuff is.
I am fortunate to also have a good glass stop here. He had tempered glass windows made for the Caravel that fit prefect, try that at Home Depot.