Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloman View Post
I have been watching and reading everyones trials and efforts in making clothe window protectors, usually using some foam material covered with fabric. I suspect the finished product is about 1" thick , maybe a little more.

One question I have is whether this material will actually protect the window from being broken when hit by a rock? What experiences has anyone had with this?

I sincerely respect everyones efforts and skills but does this really work?

Thanks in advance
Cloth works well for very small stones and sand.

But I don't think it works at all for rocks.

The force of the rock will easily penetrate the cloth.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #82

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloman View Post
I have been watching and reading everyones trials and efforts in making clothe window protectors, usually using some foam material covered with fabric. I suspect the finished product is about 1" thick , maybe a little more.

One question I have is whether this material will actually protect the window from being broken when hit by a rock? What experiences has anyone had with this?

I sincerely respect everyones efforts and skills but does this really work?

Thanks in advance
Remember that the curved panos are safety glass, so they should be about as tough as an automotive windshield. The canvas and high-density foam of my covers both reduce the force a given stone can exert on the pano AND spread it out over a broader area, since for small stones (the kind most likely to be kicked up by another vehicles tires, etc.) whether it cracks a windshield is often a factor of whether it strikes with a flat or sharp portion of the stone.

If someone throws a brick off an overpass, it'll take out your pano (and would possibly have enough mass to get through the plexiglass Airstream rock guards as well) but I think the canvas-and-foam covers improve my odds in the real world.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
The original poster states he has 11 (?) years and thousands of miles behind him with this design. It was enough to convince me that this idea can work and besides the cost I really don't care for the style of the ones you purchase. (perhaps if they too were clear?) I did decide upon and finish my 3rd panel. i'm very pleased with the outcome and especially the patterned fabric since it will hide bugs :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window final.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	193656  
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
The original poster states he has 11 (?) years and thousands of miles behind him with this design.
Thirteen years now. Nice work with the pretty colors, BTW.

Scientists amongst you will know that the answer to "does it work", can only be answered by inductive logic. In the Philosophy of Science, the standard example is :
"All the swans I have ever seen are white, therefore all swans are white........... Then I went to Australia."

So, I don't know if foam padded window protectors "work".

Nick.
P.S, before I fitted the protectors, my Airstream lost the passenger side curved window to a stone. Not good. Very messy, very expensive.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Nick,
Can you tell me about the fasteners for the window covers? Is there a thread that takls about them? Thanks.
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Lift-a-dot fasteners

These are the ones I used, and are used on ocean going yachts for their spray hoods:

DOT Fasteners, Lift-The-Dot® Fasteners, Sockets, Back Plates, Studs, Washers, Screw Studs

Nick.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Looking at having a pair of these made with 1/16 lexan plus the foam padding.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Looking at having a pair of these made with 1/16 lexan plus the foam padding.
Are your windows double curved, as they normally are in the front quarters? If so, will the Lexan cope with that?
Nick.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The front windows in our '71 are not compound curves.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Nick, Which way did you face the "dot" on the lift-a-dots? Vertical, toward the front, or to the rear?
Thanks for the info on your covers!
MIKO in Athens, GA
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #91
Rivet Master

MiIKO, I placed them with the dots towards the outside vertical edges. That way one naturally peels away the dot and the edge of the cover. If you face the middle of the cover you remove the left side dots with the left hand and the right hand dots with the right hand, with all movements towards the centre, naturally easing any tension in the cover..
Removing a cover takes a few seconds.
I hope you find the covers as useful as I do.
Nick.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #92
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
Thumbs up Lift-a-dot fasteners

Miko,

i am following nick's plan to make my covers and found lift-a-dots on ebay at a fair price and free shipping. Jim west at north west tarp and canvas was a big help and i highly recomend him.
His ebay name is northwesttarpandcanvas. Just type lift-a-dot fasteners in the search bar and look for his posts.
Good luck with your project and i'll post photos of mine when i'm done.
Nick has been a big help to more members than he knows. I consider him our expert on the best window protectors for the cost anywhere.
Sincerely,
loren r. Silva
LOREN SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Link for fasteners

Loren, you're very kind. Here's the link you mentioned:

Lift The Dot Fastener Socket Backing Plate Stainless Screw Stud 10 Pieces | eBay

Nick.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
In our version of Nick's great idea we used another type of Common Sense Fastner, the Marine Style Eyelet and Stud, also available from the same man:

10 Piece Marine Canvas Eyelet Stud Turn Button Common Sense Fasteners | eBay

It costs a few cents more. I don't know what the difference between the two is or if one is better but the Eyelet and Stud, like Nick's, takes SECONDS to take off and a minute to put on.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #95
OJs Argosy

1975 Argosy 22
DeLand , Florida
Just wondering if any member has gotten comfortable enough making these for other members? I am located in central Florida and would rather take my business to a member and someone who has specifically made these window covers. Or if someone from the central Florida area has used any canvas shops or upholstery shops to have them made. Thanks for any input and love the way they all look.
OJs Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
Interested to hear replies to OJ
CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I can make your window protector but I would need a pattern from your trailer. Would you feel comfortable do that?
I'd recommend the sun tells fabric but its your choice.
Pm if you'd like and we can talk specifics.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordellCampr View Post
Interested to hear replies to OJ
I pm'ed you earlier. I actually used the "common sense" twist fasteners, not the lift a dots. I think they work better in my opinion.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #99

1976 Argosy 22
Macon , GA
I know this is a years old thread, but I'm DROWNING in information, a lot of which I can barely understand (yes, I'm a little bit slow, but I'm working on it! ��).
I just bought my first Argosy (a '76 Argosy 22), and a new Airstreamer friend said that the most important purchase I can make for my new baby is a rock guard for those beautiful pano windows.
I can't find one anywhere - even the $1500 ones at out of doors mart are sold out.
Is there anybody out there who still follows this thread who knows where I can get one of the ones y'all are talking about made? I'm in Georgia, and would like to try to have one made and picked up or shipped before the Labor Day rally next month. I'd try to tackle it myself, but my sewing machine is wimpy, and my skills are lacking.
Thanks so much, y'all!
AcidReign453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
Contact Hornsby Canvas sales@hornsbycanvas.com 888.744.7849

I've had mine since 2012 and they still work great.

Tags
rockguard, window protectors