Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
ugh, i'm SO disappointed. the person I chose to sew our covers personally made the template (he preferred it that way) and they didn't fit, by a lot! they also didn't look in the least professional, they looked worse than what I could have sewn myself! sigh I'll never get to take my baby camping but my windows are too important to risk it. guess i'll be cancelling my a/c installation set for next week. i'll never be able to get the foam replaced that quickly. sigh

Old 07-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont

You should have used a canvas maker. An upholsterer is not the same thing, as you've learned now.

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	191548

entire rig soon to be available

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
Well I used the term upholsterer for lack of a better name but the person makes boat covers, boat seats etc so I thought I was getting someone who knew what they were doing.

canvas maker pulls up people who make awnings which I wouldn't think would have been better than a boat upholstery shop. oh well, doesn't much matter what word you use if they don't do it right, the first time.

(I should mention he was very willing and interested in remaking the covers but I declined.)

back to the drawing board and this sewer will do the job now.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Most of my projects are complete now and we have started using the trailer a bit.

I'm also in Atlanta area and need to do this. I think some of the sail makers who are out in Buford/Lake Lanier area may do a good job with this. They know how to work with curves in cloth.

Do you know if the windows on the 24 are the same size as an Argosy 26? Maybe we can get a two person discount.

PM me if you have any ideas,

Thanks

Rick
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #75

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
The wrap-around pano windows are the same size on all trailers, even brand new ones and even on rear windows. The difference is that you can't get new ives that are clear.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
I've pm'd mtbguy and discussed my disgust (couldn't resist that ) of this project and trying to find someone else and the wait etc. to let him know i'm gonna sew my own. I was hoping to avoid having to do it as I hate to sew but once again I was proven that if I want something done right (or my way, whichever works haha) I have to do it myself. i'm hoping all my supplies will be here for me to sew something up this weekend. when I manage to finish them I'll certainly show pics and if it's not too horrible a job I may even consider making them for others, that of course is dependent upon if I do them right, according to them!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Making covers for a curved window out of something as sunproof but as unforgiving as Sunbrella is a bit of a trick. I made ours but with a place for adjustability. (ok, ok, I made them and they came out too tight, so I changed the design). Our tan front cover now sports snazzy, bright blue bodice lacing up the center. The color coordinates with the bright blue I used for the applique eyes (Egyptian Eyes of Horus) and serves to make a sort of "nose" on the face of the front of the trailer. The stiff floor cushions I used for padding (removable, in pockets on the back) give it a smooth, flat appearance.

Before we got this finished, we used gaffer tape around the edges of each curved side window to hold on the pieces of old thermarest camping pad that we'd cut to fit. It wasn't pretty, but it got us safely to the Grand Canyon and other wonderful trips.

If I had it to over, I'd set up the sewing machine as close to the trailer as possible and take time to do a preliminary baste up with the final padding in the cover before committing to the final seams around the outside edge. This wouldn't have been possible in our case since we didn't know the "right" padding (we were using the old camping pad pieces) until we talked to someone on one at an Airstream rally. He had the opposite problem: the right padding but no idea of how to hold it on. We had the holder but no idea of the right padding.

I'll get an entry up on our blog today with more detailed pictures.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #78
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
The PAIN-O Windows!

I sympathize with anyone tackling the project. I am a former sewing and clothing design teacher/costume maker and this project is not for sissies. I will be sewing my window covers in the next month or so. First I made a paper pattern, then I sewed a trial cover first before the sunbrella final product. I will be covering the entire windows- not just the sides, and I already fitted the paper pattern to the windows. One of the tricky parts is the middle flat window, at the top-- it has the ledge which is a huge pain to deal with. I will post pictures of the project when I am done. My husband is not looking forward to attaching all the fasteners either. Here you see the cheap fabric trial cover sewn from the paper pattern, and checking to see that I had enough trim for the edges. You can also see the ledge that makes things tricky at the top. Good Luck!

Kathy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0841.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	191829   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0945.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	191830  

Name:	DSCN0947.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	191831  
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
Well I just finished sewing my window protectors. This outdoor fabric started out as the trial run fabric but I think they came out looking so nice I may just keep them. I can always sew another set later on down the road. One thought I had was that if I get plain cream colored fabric (which was the original plan) all the bugs are gonna show up very nicely on the fabric and I didn't want to deal with that. I have Velcro on the outer edges (on the sides of the trailer) to be able to remove the camping pad to wash the covers when needed. We used 4 'thumb turns' and the fabric is laying flush up against the trailer nicely so we don't think more will be needed. I have to say for my trial run they came out great but I'm not ready to tackle another set so for now, they stay.

Making the template/pattern was pretty straight forward, no problems there and I actually found the sewing to be the easiest part of this project. The biggest issue I had was in setting the grommets used with the thumb turn hardware...trying to get the short 'spikes' through the multiple layers of fabric and lining up the holes in the front to the back of the fabric for the grommets to go through without ripping/fraying the fabric.

Hubby was responsible for installing the thumb turn screw studs and once he used a regular screw to get the threading in the metal he said installing the actual stud was easy. (the first stud broke when he tried to use it to open the predrilled hole without making the predrilled hole larger to begin with)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window covers 004.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	191941   Click image for larger version

Name:	window covers 006.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	191942  

Old 08-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
I have been watching and reading everyones trials and efforts in making clothe window protectors, usually using some foam material covered with fabric. I suspect the finished product is about 1" thick , maybe a little more.

One question I have is whether this material will actually protect the window from being broken when hit by a rock? What experiences has anyone had with this?

I sincerely respect everyones efforts and skills but does this really work?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloman View Post
I have been watching and reading everyones trials and efforts in making clothe window protectors, usually using some foam material covered with fabric. I suspect the finished product is about 1" thick , maybe a little more.

One question I have is whether this material will actually protect the window from being broken when hit by a rock? What experiences has anyone had with this?

Thanks in advance
Cloth works well for very small stones and sand.

But I don't think it works at all for rocks.

The force of the rock will easily penetrate the cloth.

Andy
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #82

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloman View Post

Thanks in advance
Remember that the curved panos are safety glass, so they should be about as tough as an automotive windshield. The canvas and high-density foam of my covers both reduce the force a given stone can exert on the pano AND spread it out over a broader area, since for small stones (the kind most likely to be kicked up by another vehicles tires, etc.) whether it cracks a windshield is often a factor of whether it strikes with a flat or sharp portion of the stone.

If someone throws a brick off an overpass, it'll take out your pano (and would possibly have enough mass to get through the plexiglass Airstream rock guards as well) but I think the canvas-and-foam covers improve my odds in the real world.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
The original poster states he has 11 (?) years and thousands of miles behind him with this design. It was enough to convince me that this idea can work and besides the cost I really don't care for the style of the ones you purchase. (perhaps if they too were clear?) I did decide upon and finish my 3rd panel. i'm very pleased with the outcome and especially the patterned fabric since it will hide bugs :P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window final.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	193656  
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247stream View Post
The original poster states he has 11 (?) years and thousands of miles behind him with this design.
Thirteen years now. Nice work with the pretty colors, BTW.

Scientists amongst you will know that the answer to "does it work", can only be answered by inductive logic. In the Philosophy of Science, the standard example is :
"All the swans I have ever seen are white, therefore all swans are white........... Then I went to Australia."

So, I don't know if foam padded window protectors "work".

Nick.
P.S, before I fitted the protectors, my Airstream lost the passenger side curved window to a stone. Not good. Very messy, very expensive.

Tags
rockguard, window protectors