Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks!! I have an appointment w/upholsterer this Thur. All the samples of material/colors, reticulated foam, and fasteners will be there. Once we have picked out our needs, I will be leaving the "Moonunit" at his shop so he can measure and produce. My coverings won't be as inexpensive as Nicks were, but still much, much, MUCH less than the Rock Guards and I think I will be most happy with results. To be continued....

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Several of you asked me to post when we had our covers done. We are not quite finished as I have not gotten the reticulated foam to place under these, but as you can see, we now have the see thru covers on the trailer - hoorah

I took some pics from inside, but today is Quite Cold and Cloudy!! so thought I might wait for a sunnier day to see how they look. It does make the inside a bit darker (they are sun screening, after all) and not super clear to see out like a regular window would be, but like I said, I want to check with a clear sunny day. We are heading out for a short trip soon to test the strength of the twist locks (hope to not have to add any snaps above). The foam insert will take out the wrinkles-we had to leave a bit of room for it. We like them and the type of material should hold up for some time in sun - guaranteed for 10 yrs they say. It is used as awning material. Here are a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Window Covers 005.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	87586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini Window Covers 001.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	87587  

Name:	Mini Window Covers 002.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	87588  

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #17

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Leigh,

They look nice. Be sure to post some more pictures when you get the foam, in place.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Thanks Kevin - I think the foam will smooth them right out. I had a friend who said she would "loan" me some bubble wrap if I wanted -ha! The "young" guy who made them was very nice and did a great job If anyone is ever looking to have some made, I think he kept the pattern (I better ck). They didn't even end up w/a pleat/dart up top which was great as it would have hampered the view to the outside. My husband is calling them her eyelids!!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Just returned from our trial camping trip to try the covers out. They did great on the road with just the twist locks at each corner. We attached the covers to "Moonunit" ourselves. It was very cold and rainy/snowing when we left Weds. and stayed pretty clouded over up where we were camped so I just now took a picture back here at home when we returned. Hope it shows the difference pretty well on the middle window w/its "regular" screen and the curved window w/the sunscreen material we used for the cover/protector. Here it is...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Covers Inside.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	87723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside look.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	87724  

Old 10-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I have had 1 PM about these since we got them done. I will mention here that David (the upholsterer) kept the pattern on our windows and I think is willing to duplicate and mail them to anyone interested for a small fee. He actually does very large commercial awning applications for his business, so not sure if he would take on a lot of these as they are a very small job. But, he is very nice, and I think he would be willing to copy and mail. If interested, PM me and I will check w/him.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Is there a reason why these covers and the OP's covers only protect the side windows? Does the center window never catch rocks, being protected by the TV?

I'm new to Airstreaming, and trailering in general. We've only towed ours home, about 100 miles, and broke a side window on the way, wouldn't you know it.

I'm looking into making covers like these (my ordinary sewing machine has managed 4 layers of Sunbrella as long as the needles are sharp), but I was planning to make it cover the whole front window set. Should I reconsider?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Is there a reason why these covers and the OP's covers only protect the side windows?
Using one's rear view mirror in the tow vehicle one can view directly behind to see following traffic that is too close behind to view in one's side mirrors, by looking through the central flat window. The central flat glass would be comparitively simple and cheap to replace.
Nick.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #23

1970 21' Globetrotter
menasha , Wisconsin
thanx for the info....my trailer got hit by hail and busted out the 1970;s windowcover on the front...we kept the frame to figure something out and the foam/canvas idea sounds great....thank god im crafty..saves me alot of money...good ideas! thanx nick
Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Good luck with the project, Dimples. I hope you and your covers will be very happy together.
Nick
Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Thanks Nick for this good idea.

I had my pair made by a well known mother and daughter canvas making team near my small Ontario town.

Name:	window covers.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	112773

Name:	hornsby.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	112772

I asked Vince to help me install the stainless thumb-turns. Riveting took about a half a day; the second window going much faster than the first

The window protectors fit perfectly and look cool. It takes less than a minute to take one off or put it back on.

The canvas work cost $375.00, including pattern making.

Out of interest, I got these quotes for rock guards in 2008:

Oasis RV: $685.35- plus $225 drop shipping from JC

Andy: $650 plus shipping from JC

Out of Doors Mart, NC: $620.64; guessed the shipping was $300. Three BIG boxes.

Owasso: $645.64 plus install

Ottawa RV: 672.00 plus drop shipping from JC ($168.00) - $950

Can AM: $1488.88 plus $250.00 installation. !!!!!!!!!

Sergei
Old 10-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Sergei.

Rockguards also let light in, canvas does not.

Also, rockguards protect the windows, within reason from rocks, canvas does not.

Andy
Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks Andy.

Rock Guards let a certain kind of solar tinted light in and they completely change the appearance of the trailer.

I like that I can have the original clear-view look of the curved windows and that I can take the covers off or put them on in 2 minutes.

The canvas maker says that she thinks the dense foam used will deter stone damage or breakage and nobody using this method has reported a problem with them.

For all of these reasons I choose to take a chance with this different approach.

Sergei
Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Came upon this on another rock guard thread here today:

Quote:
I am pleased with the guard but my wife hates it. She says "now instead of having a great looking old airstream we now have what looks like a crappy looking newer airstream". __________________
I think like Mike's wife too.

Sergei

Tags
rockguard, window protectors