Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Question Fixing a DIY disaster on my Rock Guards.

So we just picked up our Airstream this weekend. And one of the things bugging me is whatever the previous owner thought they where doing on the front Rock Guards.

We all know what they are suppose to look like:

But mine, don't look like that. They look like this:

And now I realize I should of taken some close ups before putting the Airstream away for storage.

It seems they've been spray painted with some sort of DIY bed liner. When the sun hits these, the spray paint pattern is really obvious. I also noticed they are cracking along the bottoms and top edges and whatever is on it is peeling off. It looked like it might still be the original metal under neath. I'm hoping that's the case.

Has anyone ever seen someone do this, or know why?

BTW, I am the 3rd owner of this Airstream, the guy we bought it from bought it from the original owner in Feb and hit hard times. And I am assuming that it was the original owner who did this "mod". I should of asked, but was to busy being excited.

Anyways, rather than sell out $800 bucks buying new ones, was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I guess I'll try stripper first.

I just want things to match on my Airstream.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
In my case I am the 4th owner.
My rock guards were a bit pitted and I did not like the look so
I painted them with black bed liner. Same for bumper and a few
other mis-matching colors as you may see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	219758  
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney View Post
In my case I am the 4th owner.
My rock guards were a bit pitted and I did not like the look so
I painted them with black bed liner. Same for bumper and a few
other mis-matching colors as you may see.
I actually quite like the look of that
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Nothing wrong with painting them but that gray stuff does not look good at all. You can try stripper on them and see what the metal underneath looks like. Also the one on the passenger side looks like it is sagging. Alternatively you would skin them with aluminum or stainless over what is there. Thinner material will tend to dent more than the thicker guard material.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Once you have the gunk off, have you considered a stainless-look PVC film - like people put on appliances?

So long you trim it right at the edge of the panels and re-cover the exposed edges with the molding, the adhesive should stay stuck.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I'm guessing there is some logical reason that the PO painted them...pitting, perhaps. You can spend the time and energy stripping them, to find that they don't look good...and end up repainting them. Or you can just repaint them to your liking and be done with it. Or you could rebuild them.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Tape off for recoat. Stencils for your initials, coat in contrasting color! Remove tape.

Ok, that was fun,,,

Oh, you could use Duplicolor REMOVABLE paint and change it when bored.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can get that bed liner stuff in custom colors and the commercial coatings are better than the DIY stuff in a can. You could make them match the colors of your favorite football team like they do here in the south or something else just as tacky. Personally, I would go for black like Del did above.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
If you do strip them be sure to remove them from the trailer, or at least protect everything around them. No reason to mess up anything else trying to fix this issue. I haven't done this, but other things I wish I hadn't.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachHouse View Post
If you do strip them be sure to remove them from the trailer, or at least protect everything around them. No reason to mess up anything else trying to fix this issue. I haven't done this, but other things I wish I hadn't.
Oh I will be. I have a massive shop which I stored the Airstream in. Lots of room to remove and work.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
A few better shots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-08-27-16.00.43.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	220072   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-27-16.00.36.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	220073  

Name:	2014-08-27-16.00.50.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	220074   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-27-16.01.13.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	220075  

Name:	2014-08-27-16.01.28.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	220076  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Funny....I drove through the west coast of Michigan yesterday and across the Mighty Mac into the UP where I am currently ensconced just north of Channing. As I came up the roads department was painting the white fog lines north of Traverse City. When I pulled in last night I discovered my curbside rock guard was now white as was everything else curbside. Two hours of a pressure washer and a putty knife removed most of the paint, but the underside is still white and the lexan windows still have white spots...not a fun day....
Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #13
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Stainless Steel refinish

Too bad about the white paint, photobum. I got that on the underside of a '64 Impala and the wheel wells are probably still white today.
The rock shields are stainless steel with a brushed finish. It is very durable but can be scratched by rocks, abrasive cleaners and anything harder than itself. It is almost impossible to restore the brushed finish once it is messed up. That explains the painted DeLoreans you occasionally see. Whatever damage is under that textured paint is probably permanent. You may as well just repaint the rock guards, or else replace them. Some surface prep and new paint might look good.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Refinishing Stainless steel Rock Guards

Actually you can refinish the stainless steel. I've done it. What you do depends on how bad the dings and scratches are. Here are just two of the many "How To" videos on the web:
Small scratches:

Worse scratches and dings:
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aironius View Post
Too bad about the white paint, photobum. I got that on the underside of a '64 Impala and the wheel wells are probably still white today.
The rock shields are stainless steel with a brushed finish. It is very durable but can be scratched by rocks, abrasive cleaners and anything harder than itself. It is almost impossible to restore the brushed finish once it is messed up. That explains the painted DeLoreans you occasionally see. Whatever damage is under that textured paint is probably permanent. You may as well just repaint the rock guards, or else replace them. Some surface prep and new paint might look good.
Well I finally got a hold of the first owner, and he told me this, which explains the guards.

Quote:
The trailer has been to every state and province of Canada except
the NW Territory, Newfoundland and Labrador. When I sold it to Carl it
had only the second set of tires on it and the spare was the original
and had been used for less the 30 miles. It has been to Alaska twice,
once on the top of the world highway from Dawson City, Yukon Territory
to Chicken, AK.
Guess that would do it.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Follow up to this:

It looks like someone drove the Airstream to Alaska without rock tamers. The small dents all across the lower half on the back side is amazing.

We have decided to re-do these ourselves because of the cost. Next month, I'm going to pull each one off, remove the rivets, and the outside trim edge banding that is glued/riveted on.

Remove lower belt line piece and reflector.

Sand and prime.

Then I'll be applying 3M CF12 Carbon Fiber Black wrap to them. Then reapplying the edge banding and the rivets that hold it in place.

A lot of "ricers" (those kids with hondas) and other car folks have been wrapping body panels, hoods, trunks and roofs for a number of years now with the stuff, and it research suggests it holds up well to weather.

I figure combined with rock tammers on our truck, this should be a cost effective way of improving the looks while doing something unique.

Otherwise, it's 750$ a panel. HOLY MOLY!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
It's all a matter of personal taste but the 'carbon fiber' look can be attractive.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #18
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hi BoldAdventure: a couple words of caution.
1) As rock guards are an option they're installed after construction. In my case a combination of screws and "pop rivets" (not bucked) held the piano hinge on. So
when you have drilled / unscrewed the hinge you will then have to remove caulking....pita.
2) I replaced the "fancy" trim on the rock guards as it was also pitted....this led to replacing the shinny trim all around so it would match. And this led to removing/re-bedding/re-fastening with SST screws the trim channel all around as this is the prime reason for floor rot.
3) The "c" trim around the exterior of the guards is not that easy to remove, and harder to re-install AND if you are adding material to the SST guards (glueing I assume) you wont be able to re-use the "c" trim.
So in short, if you're in for a penny, you might be in for a pound as well. You could save your self a lot of grief if you just unscrew the two acorn nuts, get some masking sheets to protect the trailer and paint them.
PS: I discarded the piano hinges and installed two SST hinges with quick remove pins. Then used Olympic rivets to mount them and cap off all the holes from the original hinges. In hind sight I should have just followed the advice I just offered you...instead I turned a 4hr. and $50 job into a 4 day and $500 mission!!
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
So I should just save some money incase I'm in over my head. Might save this project for after the holidays.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
That bed liner looks good, delgurney, and a very effective solution to beat-up guards. And it can be touched up easily.
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote