Old 08-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aironius View Post
Too bad about the white paint, photobum. I got that on the underside of a '64 Impala and the wheel wells are probably still white today.
The rock shields are stainless steel with a brushed finish. It is very durable but can be scratched by rocks, abrasive cleaners and anything harder than itself. It is almost impossible to restore the brushed finish once it is messed up. That explains the painted DeLoreans you occasionally see. Whatever damage is under that textured paint is probably permanent. You may as well just repaint the rock guards, or else replace them. Some surface prep and new paint might look good.
Well I finally got a hold of the first owner, and he told me this, which explains the guards.

Quote:
The trailer has been to every state and province of Canada except
the NW Territory, Newfoundland and Labrador. When I sold it to Carl it
had only the second set of tires on it and the spare was the original
and had been used for less the 30 miles. It has been to Alaska twice,
once on the top of the world highway from Dawson City, Yukon Territory
to Chicken, AK.
Guess that would do it.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Follow up to this:

It looks like someone drove the Airstream to Alaska without rock tamers. The small dents all across the lower half on the back side is amazing.

We have decided to re-do these ourselves because of the cost. Next month, I'm going to pull each one off, remove the rivets, and the outside trim edge banding that is glued/riveted on.

Remove lower belt line piece and reflector.

Sand and prime.

Then I'll be applying 3M CF12 Carbon Fiber Black wrap to them. Then reapplying the edge banding and the rivets that hold it in place.

A lot of "ricers" (those kids with hondas) and other car folks have been wrapping body panels, hoods, trunks and roofs for a number of years now with the stuff, and it research suggests it holds up well to weather.

I figure combined with rock tammers on our truck, this should be a cost effective way of improving the looks while doing something unique.

Otherwise, it's 750$ a panel. HOLY MOLY!

Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
It's all a matter of personal taste but the 'carbon fiber' look can be attractive.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hi BoldAdventure: a couple words of caution.
1) As rock guards are an option they're installed after construction. In my case a combination of screws and "pop rivets" (not bucked) held the piano hinge on. So
when you have drilled / unscrewed the hinge you will then have to remove caulking....pita.
2) I replaced the "fancy" trim on the rock guards as it was also pitted....this led to replacing the shinny trim all around so it would match. And this led to removing/re-bedding/re-fastening with SST screws the trim channel all around as this is the prime reason for floor rot.
3) The "c" trim around the exterior of the guards is not that easy to remove, and harder to re-install AND if you are adding material to the SST guards (glueing I assume) you wont be able to re-use the "c" trim.
So in short, if you're in for a penny, you might be in for a pound as well. You could save your self a lot of grief if you just unscrew the two acorn nuts, get some masking sheets to protect the trailer and paint them.
PS: I discarded the piano hinges and installed two SST hinges with quick remove pins. Then used Olympic rivets to mount them and cap off all the holes from the original hinges. In hind sight I should have just followed the advice I just offered you...instead I turned a 4hr. and $50 job into a 4 day and $500 mission!!
Old 11-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
So I should just save some money incase I'm in over my head. Might save this project for after the holidays.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
That bed liner looks good, delgurney, and a very effective solution to beat-up guards. And it can be touched up easily.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I started on this with a simple idea, but it began to rain. I will have to return this weekend. My idea is that sometimes a darker metal goes well with a lighter shade. And I think that's the main eye sore. The previous owner tried to paint them silver. That was a mistake. I found a color that is called Flat Soft Iron, it's metallic and I really like it. My plan is to repaint these with this color and then remove any paint on the trim piece that surrounds the panel and polish it. Then put on a new chrome trim to replace what was painted over.

However, I am considering painting the lower half black, so I left it unpainted. When I'm done this weekend, I'll finalize this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7143.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	240408  
Old 06-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would peel off any loose material. Then, I would get a gallon of Grizzly Grip bed liner in my favorite color and roll it on
Old 06-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Bold Adventure, I would suggest to get the paint off one and try what worked for me though you have to be careful. Mine were nasty looking. I "thought" polish waxing would help. It did not work. Then I tried stainless cleaner. It did not work. I tried metal polishes- did not work. Then I found Bar Tender's Friend. It worked! It does NOT take elbow grease just a same direction rub back and forth lightly. Del Gurney's option would be my second choice. It is like a cheap stainless sink.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nosey art

How about something totally different?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	240417  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
At least they didn't paint the actual trailer. PO painted the exterior skin below the front window, and curved down on the sides mimicking the rock guards, but on the actual trailer. Used a horrible metallic blackish color. Of course they sanded the aluminum under the paint to make it stick, so it was replace panels, or strip and repaint. Stripped and repainted, used good primer, and then rustoleum aluminum colored paint. Blends color wise pretty well, but needs some smoothing with another coat or 2. Much better than it was though.
PO sanded/painted the aluminum propane tanks as well, blackish metallic. SOB! Haven't touched them yet. Probably just get new ones since they're very old. good opportunity to get some with gages built in.

Maybe i'll get an artist to paint a figurehead up there like an old ship.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Look at this! Only use one eye so you don't gouge both out..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	240420  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #27
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
It's been holding up well since finishing this project