Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2003, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

fabricating a rockguard for a 67 TW

I was asked in an earlier post to explain how I fabricated a rockguard for the tradewind. I wrote the description with included photos, but they are now at this URL:

This is the first time that I have uploaded photos (took two weeks) or referenced a URL. Hope it all works. Let me know if you have a better way to do something like this.

-----------------------------------
New Rock Guard for the 67 Tradewind

We found the fiberglass in the original rock guard in too bad of shape to restore, the frame was damaged, the slide bars didn’t work, and the hold-down clamps were rusted out. Starting over seemed easier than restoration and the results can be seen in the first two pictures. The piano hinge and the slide bar assembly are original parts, all else is newly designed and fabricated.

Lexan in a medium smoked tint was used in place of the original fiberglass. The new frame is made of aluminum picture frame material, and assembled is if it were a framed picture. A framing shop can cut top, bottom, and sides to custom lengths. The challenge was mounting the frame to the hinge and slide bar, and then building new hold-down brackets.

Spring clips hold a picture in this type of frame, and the same clips were used to hold the lexan into this frame. I used more than a picture frame would, and they can be seen below. The frames strength in the corners was reinforced with ½ by 3 inch corner brackets from a local hardware. They replace the smaller standard pieces used for pictures.

The brown material in pictures below is MDF that I transferred mounting dimensions onto, and assembled the new rock guard on. This assured that everything worked together before riveting it to the Airstream. Fit was an issue with the slide bars.

First the bars wouldn’t hold in an open position. This was fixed by removing the original wing screws, and taping new threads in the part holding the screw. New wing screws were made by putting a wing nut onto a round head screw backwards and gluing it in place. The end of the screw threads were center punched after being threaded into the holder. That assures that they don’t vibrate out while on the road.

The bar end that mounts to the frame had to be ground and filed down so that it didn’t press against the lexan when the rock guard was opened. Originally the bar mounted to the fiberglass, but now it is screwed to the frame. There is a plastic bushing that holds it the correct distance from the frame sides. This bushing had to be flattened on two opposite sides to clear the frame extrusion shape.

The brackets that mount the bars to the Airstream also caused an interference fix, and had to be modified. They were cut off below the original bar mounting hole, and a new hole was drilled and taped for a 10-32 screw. Even though a round head screw is in the picture, a counter sunk flat head was finally used. The screw had to be cut to the exact length; otherwise, the window would hit it when opening. Now the window will only open to the point where it hits the wing screws on the slide bars. I believe the original was this way also.

The last task was to build a new way to hold the rock guard closed. A great deal of searching through the hardware store bens produced the twist latches in the last picture. An angle bracket was formed out of aluminum angle, notched, and then riveted to the frame -- with Olympic rivets of course.

We have not taken this new addition to the Tradewind out for a drive yet, and probably won’t until next season. My only concern is the spring clips that hold the lexan into the frame. They could vibrate loose, but I doubt that will happen. If it does, I will fix it. After all, fixing is why we have vintage Airstreams isn’t it?

Jim Cooper, 25 September, 2003
jcchome@frii.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
VERY NICE! Thankyou very much for posting how to fabricate that. Our unit does not have one but once I actually get a front window (Window A/C uggg) I want to make one.

Here is a tip on the Forum. Once you have stored a picture to Airstream Photos you can link that picture to your post.
View the picture you want to link. make sure it's the large size. Put the pointer over the picture and hit your right mouse button. If your using Netscape some version there is a selection that says veiw picture. Click that and it will open just the picture and in the URL bar you can get the Adress of just that picture.

On IE right click on the picture and select properties. That will bring up the URL. Copy that by highlighting it and hitting Ctrl C.

In your post above the text box is several buttons. One is marked "IMG". Click that button and it will open a box that you can put the URL of the picture in. Ctrl V will drop the URL you copied from the other screen.

Here is one of your pictures from the Photo Album.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Thumbs up NICE WORK

Way to go Jim.
I have all the parts from my original frame of which the FG was knocked out - including my front window-by a truck backing up with a long 2x4. (i guess , they never left a note.)
You may find the lexan deflects inward while driving -I used it in my front window and I can see it as I travel. Probably not a concern.
thanks for that post .Karma coming up!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote