Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Dents in rock guard

I noticed s few small dents on the rock guard on the driver side of my Classic 30 then noticed they were also on the other side. I figured it was road rash coming off the back end of my dually TV. So, I think I need to install either mud flaps or a rock guard. Will mud flaps be sufficient or should I get a big rock guard?
CMTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There are several schools of thought on that. Search the forums for "Mud Flaps" or "Rock Tamers" for lots of discussion and opinions.

In my opinion, the dings show they are working, assuming the ding is not big enough to mark up the shell of the AS...life is gonna leave a few marks.

"Rock Tamers" seem to be the best, but even they will let the occasional 'ding generator' through.

I collected one just above the front driver side window of my Prius the other day. I suspect, from the sound of it, that it was a good thing the rock hit metal. Left a 2" scratch and a matching ding. Glad it missed the glass... Have no clue whatsoever which passing vehicle tossed it at me...was in fairly heavy traffic at the time.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Dings mean thetrailer is being used as it was designed and not as a status symbol.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I prefer the mudflaps. They work for me. If you don't want permanent mudflaps get a rock tamer, or if you are a belt and suspender man do both.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I agree with the thoughts that rock guards are meant to be dinged. Even on of the plexi pano window guards took a hit on one of our first trips with our 25’. It left a crack, psp I just drillstopped it and acetone welded it.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
I use a set of rock guards and they work well except for the added weight on the wd hitch and some rocks still get through.
Also have a small road star in the pano window guard. What is an "acetone weld"? Will acetone disolve the plexiglass enough to seal a small road star?
Airabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mud flaps and rock tamers for me. Eliminates about 95% of dings. Every few years I pull off the guards and roll out larger dents with a body dolly, using thin rubber sheet as a backer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I consider dented rock guards a good thing. Means they are doing their job.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
Dents are good

I have a dent in my rock guard that pretty big. I have a big scratch down one side from a tree also. My TV has a dent. I don't fix them as stress relief. Now that I have the dents, I don't sweat it when I get another.
picklcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I agree with the thoughts that rock guards are meant to be dinged. Even on of the plexi pano window guards took a hit on one of our first trips with our 25’. It left a crack, psp I just drillstopped it and acetone welded it.

I got a nice star in my window guard. I know what drill stop is, but what’s acetone welding? Will acetone “melt” the window guard together?
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #11
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
That’s what I love about AS, you get both!
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTampa View Post
I noticed s few small dents on the rock guard on the driver side of my Classic 30 then noticed they were also on the other side. I figured it was road rash coming off the back end of my dually TV. So, I think I need to install either mud flaps or a rock guard. Will mud flaps be sufficient or should I get a big rock guard?

Wouldn't a rock guard to guard the rock guard be redundant.
Yo got have some dings, dents and scratches to give the Trailer and you some character. :-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We have a few small dents in our 2017 AS, and I was a little sad to see them on such a bright and shiny and perfect trailer. However, I thought about it, and as several others have said, it shows that we are out on the road enjoying her and they are doing what they are intended to do, protecting the trailer. I have thought about and will likely install mud flaps on our F250 4x4 TV, to slow down the development of character.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
The 22 year old rock guards on our trailer have abundant small dents despite having large truck size mud flaps behind the rear tires of our tow vehicle. I must assume the purpose of rock guards and mud flaps is to keep those dents off the trailer shell. If a trailer is towed to Alaska, one can be assured of at least sand abrasions on the street side of the trailer, so just get out there and enjoy the tiny home.
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have had big and small dents in all 4 of our AS's, after purchase. Also had the "star" in the Plexiglas shield over the front windows in our last unit. Didn't notice it till we were selling it. Part of travel trailer life. The Sport models don't have these standard, so imagine if the damage to the rock guards were on the AS body... I purchased 2 rock guards; one new, one used but no dings, taken off a wrecked AS by same dealer, for $600 for my 25', 2008 AS, but never up installing. Sold them on Craigs list pretty quick after I sold the AS.

Dings are a way of life on the road...the killer for me is the rock dings to the windshield on the TV...my wife believes the windshield on our 2012 F150 attracted rocks! We replaced 3 windshields and had each one repaired for rock damage prior to being replaced at least 2-3 times. Second windshield got dinged same day it was replaced...passing gravel truck threw a rock across into my lane/windshield! Those windshields with electronics for rain in them cost $400-$500 each to be replaced! With the new F250, got a ding right after picking up new AS in Oregon, while traveling thru Idaho...went 10K miles without any more. One thing to note about fixing cracks in your vehicle windshield; when you turn in a rock "ding" to your insurance company, even though it is likely "free of charge" with no money out of pocket; be aware that it does hit your insurance claims on your policy! We asked for a quote from AAA last year for possibly changing insurance from our current carrier, USAA. They told me they could not quote since I had 3 claims in the past year...I was surprised since I had no wrecks or incidents, other than windshield chips repaired....now I pay out of pocket for any rock chips/cracks!

I recently did purchase a "windshield replacement warranty" from the Ford dealer in MT for $500 which lasts 5 years and is serviced by Safelite for windshield replacement...purchased that in Aug...not a ding's since! Still, nice knowing I have the warranty when I will need it. Now wife thinks having the warranty is why I have had no more dings!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
Dings etc.

They are a sign of a good time had.
If you want a pristine yard ornament, leave it at home.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Just what we use....

Edge to edge coverage across the back, plus OEM flaps with Mickey Mouse add ons...

Werks for us.

Bob

������
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	305873   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_709.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	305874  

Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Edge to edge coverage across the back, plus OEM flaps with Mickey Mouse add ons...

Werks for us.

Bob

������
Bob! I don't see Mickey???? Did he run off with Minnie again?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Bob! I don't see Mickey???? Did he run off with Minnie again?
Yeah, I think he did. He's a bit like some of the threads around here, he just keeps going round and round, when he finally catches her he's forgotten why it was he was chasing her in the first place

Bob
Old 03-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ok, call me Mickey. You decide in which context.