Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
L&R
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , Maine
Question Curbside Wing window and window by door

Sorry if this may duplicate another post.
We just purchased a 1970 overlander and need to repair two window. I have the wing window on order but was wondering if it is something that we could do or should we pay a professional? The other question is regarding the curbside side window by the door. The PO didn't know how to open the window so he just pushed and pushed without unlocking it at the bottom. He said something popped at the top of the window, so he just taped it up. Without taking it off it appears that he broke the hinge. What should I be looking for to determine the extent of the damage as the window its self appears to be in good shape. Is there a place to just get a hinge or does the window need to be replaced completely?

Sorry I am unable to upload photos.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LOqIJQKfxbA/Sh...8/P1010052.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LOqIJQKfxbA/Sh...8/P1010051.JPG
L&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #2

1971 27' Overlander
Washington , Iowa
I just had a rock break my front window, same you show and the PO put flat glass in the side window you show. I need the same two windows, did you ever find them? I will post back on what I find out, just started looking.
cadamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
L&R

I bet the lock at the bottom of the window is what is broken. That part is available.

When it comes to the wing window, you could do it yourself. That metal strip that holds that window to the main window will have to be removed. You can tap it up or down. The new window has that strip.
then drill your rivets out.

Dan
Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you are half handy you can do the wing window removal reinstall yourself. The other window should be repairable. Your 2 photos did post. Post some detailed photos, especially of the opening window and you should get more specific advice. Maybe more than you would ever want.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
L&R
2 Rivet Member

Sanford , Maine
Smile

Hinge was completely gone. After I searched the internet and emailed a number of very nice people, it was evident that you can not just get a hinge. I ordered the opening window from Inland RV, very nice people btw. Replacement glass and sash installed but the window doesn't close unless you push on it from the outside. You can see in the photo that it is sticking out a bit. Not sure what is up with that but I am relieved that it is in and no leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010098.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	83627  
L&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&R View Post
Hinge was completely gone. After I searched the internet and emailed a number of very nice people, it was evident that you can not just get a hinge. I ordered the opening window from Inland RV, very nice people btw. Replacement glass and sash installed but the window doesn't close unless you push on it from the outside. You can see in the photo that it is sticking out a bit. Not sure what is up with that but I am relieved that it is in and no leaks.
The two latches at the bottom of the window, can easily be adjusted to pull the window further in, as it must have a tight fit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote