Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Classic Rock Guard problem

Attached are two images showing the rub caused by the rock guards. We notices this while washing the trailer.

We also found that nearly every screw on the hinge was loose. The stree side was more loose than the curb side. The two nuts holding the outside of the guards were tight on both sides.

As anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to repair and prevent future problems?

73/gus
Attached Images

ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gus.

The causes are lack of proper running gear balance, excessive rated hitch, and/or a tow vehicle with overload springs.

Any one of these things can cause the problem.

The chafing is cause by vibration.

Andy

Inland RV Center, Inc.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Gus....ours are fairly close too, but we have never seen that on ours.....ever consider trading this unit?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Causes

- proper running gear balance - new tires on trailer, new tires on truck, all balanced within past 3 months, trailer aligned in December, not far off
- excessive rated hitch - not really sure what this means, we have the standard class c hitch on the GMC Sierra 2500 HD
- tow vehicle with overload springs - see weights on other post

Why would this only happen here? What other signs would there be from the above 3 items?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 06-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Trading to what? We've seriously considered leaving RV ownership because of our problems.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
73/Gus

Your tow vehicle is heavy duty. If you, as an example, have a 1000 to 1200 pound rated torsion bars on your hitch, then that's the problem.

The front of the trailer "must" freely move up and down. If you have a large weight rated hitch, then you have restricted that movement.

Therefore any road shock will be transfered to the trailer front end, beat it and anything else on the front to death.

If this is the case, drop the hitch bar rating to 550-600 pounds, no more. That will give the trailer a softer ride and stop any further damage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Gus, I sent you a PM.

...and Andy, I think I asked this before, since I got the Suburban, the Impala had 1200lb bars which worked well with that soft suspension, but the Suburban is a 3/4 ton and I downgraded the weight bars to 800# bars. The hitch weight on the Safari is suppose to be about 750lbs.....do you think I'm overhitched? Think I need to go to the 600lb bars? I've driven about 1000 miles with the ol Burb and the Safari and so far haven't seen my rock guards, though close to the body, do what has happened to Gus'. Yet, there have been times when I can feel when the trucks come by me....I'm puzzled any ideas?
Old 06-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We've already driven over 35,000 miles with the trailer since July 2003. Is that the BIG difference - road miles? Much of ours is interstate driving at 70 MPH.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 06-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know if it's a mileage thing myself...I was just wondering if it would eventually happen to mine if I kept the 800lb bars on with our Suburban.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Gus

I had the same problem with mine, and was fortunate enough to be at the AS factory when I noticed the guards were working loose. They advised me that their solution was to add another support at that location, so I purchased the support at their store and added it myself. I tightened up all the fastenings, including replacement of some rivets that had worked loose. . . end of problem. That was five years ago. If my problem was based on flexing of the whole front end, I believe this solution I used would not have worked.

Hope your solution is as simple.

Bud
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Wow. Sounds like what I need. Can you post a picture? Do you have a part number?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 06-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Additional support location???

Bud -

Also, have a similar question to the post before me. Where did you add the additonal support as SilverToy has similar rub marks. Had it when I got her, so I have no clue as to why they are there. Just to try to be clear as mud - did you add the support 1/2 way round the guard in the middle of the arc it makes at the trailer front? Top and bottom? Which support did you use - the SouthCo rubber thingy with the 90 degree turn screw fitting? Details at least, photos prefered!

BTW - thanks for this timely post as I have a BIG trip planned in a few weeks and don't want this to get worse! That leads me to another question....

Question for Andy. Asked this before but got no response. Am I 'over hitched' in your opinion? Have the 34' Classic, '01 2500 'Burb, and Equal-I-zer 12K with 1K bars. Is this over kill and should I get 800lb or 500lb bars but keep the hitch head?

As mentioned, big trip coming up and want this resolved ( if that is in fact what I need to do) before I leave, and possibly making my rub situation worse.

Thanks in advance for your answers/opinions.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
We also found that nearly every screw on the hinge was loose. The stree side was more loose than the curb side. The two nuts holding the outside of the guards were tight on both sides.

73/gus
Gus -

You don't think that having nearly every screw loose on the hinges might have caused this? And, following Andy's list of potential causes, did one of those things create the vibration to loosen the hinge screws.

I got into a habit of checking my rock guards frequently after my dealer told me to do this because he said that sometimes the screws holding them in place come loose and people look back to see their rock guards flapping in the breeze (not a pretty sight ).

I also open mine regularly to clean behind them.
- That just reminds me that I should ask when I'm in Jackson Center a couple weeks from now why they only secured my rock guards with half the number of screws that there are holes for on the hinges.

John
Old 06-09-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Don't know what the cause is. Our Classic has spent 4 months in the shop for warranty repairs during the first 23 months. I'd have thought they would have noticed any problems so obvious.

Haven't had any noticible vibration effects inside the front of the trailer - such as pillows moving on the couch or items moving in the drawers.

Perhaps the rubs resulted from vibrations caused by our tires before they failed.

Plus, we've put a lot of miles on the trailer - which may have caused this to show up so soon.

Will try to get the Airstream part to add one support.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Gus
Axel

I added the support in the area where the rubbing took place. No pix right now because my AS is about twenty miles away for service. No parts number either, but it was obviously cut from an extruded aluminum channel piece. It is about 3 to 4 inches long, and in cross section is an inch deep u-shaped channel with a 1/2 inch flat extension at the top and on each side of the 'u'. The flat sections on the 'u' fit against the surface of the trailer, and are drilled and riveted there. The bottom of the 'u' fits against the guard, and is drilled for a short bolt, with a stainless steel 'finish nut' to the outside surface of the guard. [I know a picture would do wonders.]

[The AS people seemed to be really aware of the issue at the time, so I assumed they would make design changes to take care of it in the future!]

I honestly believe the rubbing occurs because the guard flexes when you are at highway speeds, enough to force it against the trailer body. I could see movement in the surface by watching in the rearview mirror, but don't have any now. . . and no sign of any further working of the guard at the points where it is fastened. Sure worked for me.
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
If the screws are working loose, try reinstalling them with Lock-Tite. Also, a temporary fix might be a block of foam attached with heavy duty double-stick tape.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Talk about super service

Just received a message from Jim Parrett,Airstream Customer Relations. He said a set of the guard supports are on the way to me.

Now that is superb customer service! Glad to know he reads the forums.

We did notice today that when we get at speeds 65 mph or greater, the rock guards seem to be flexing enough to reach the trailer skin.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3