Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
64' rock cover arms ( supports ).. need help

Hi,
I am replacing the rock cover arms ( only had one ) on my 64' tradewind.
Problem being that I am unable to find anything that has a mounting bracket comparable in size to the one that came off of the trailer ( original??? has bigger bracket in length and width and the two fastener holes are bigger and further apart ). I have found one bracket that looks the same as the original on a boating supply site. but then I would have to buy the bracket separately and figure out how to attach the hold down latch to the bracket.
The RV suppliers in my area don't have anything like the old setup. They have arms w/ smaller brackets, but I really don't want to patch the old holes and make new ones in the skin. Have something nice and trying to keep it nice.

Does anyone with an early 60s unit have any close up photos w/ dimentions of their rock cover arm brackets? Did anyone run into this and find a remedy?
I have been looking for 6 months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Front window rock cover?

Hi Karol,

The PO had the front window rock cover replaced on my Overlander by an Airstream dealership many years before I took possesion.

The dealership patched the holes left by the original rock guard since what they were selling then was different.

You may be SOL.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by campngirl
Hi,
I am replacing the rock cover arms ( only had one ) on my 64' tradewind.
Problem being that I am unable to find anything that has a mounting bracket comparable in size to the one that came off of the trailer ( original??? has bigger bracket in length and width and the two fastener holes are bigger and further apart ). I have found one bracket that looks the same as the original on a boating supply site. but then I would have to buy the bracket separately and figure out how to attach the hold down latch to the bracket.
The RV suppliers in my area don't have anything like the old setup. They have arms w/ smaller brackets, but I really don't want to patch the old holes and make new ones in the skin. Have something nice and trying to keep it nice.

Does anyone with an early 60s unit have any close up photos w/ dimentions of their rock cover arm brackets? Did anyone run into this and find a remedy?
I have been looking for 6 months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karol
Karol, I have two mounts that I just removed from either side of my front window on my 1967 Safari. They are original to the trailer. Except for the upper hinge and these two brackets the rest of the support arms and rock guard itself were already gone. If you want them PM me your address and they are yours. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Thanks Tom fo the info. I didn't think I would find a new brackets that would line up correctly. Thought that I would have to fabricate something... because really don't want to put additional hole in the skin.
BIGED52 has kindly offered his old/ original mounts.
Thank-you so much Ed. I have PMd you my mailing address.

Thank-You again,

Karol
Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Darn, I was hopeing that your solution would not have been so quickly solved. If someone could still post some close-up shots of their 64 rock guard support arms, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Ed,
The mounts got here today. Thank - You so much. They look different than the 1 that the po left. I think he improvised, because I'm sure the holes in the skin are larger than the fastner holes in the new2me brackets.. so I might have to improvise ( patch and then mount the brackets ). I am trying to keep as much original as possible.... I love vintage.
Once again, thank-you so much for your generosity. It is greatly appreciated.

Karol
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
So.... Now that it looks like I may have to patch and then mount the rockguard arm brackets,...... does anyone have photos of how they did this?
One little patch on each side of window?????
Long bar stock on each side of window - so - to the general non-A/S populus it does not look like a patch??????

Also, still interested in any photos of '64 rockguard setups.... would love to see 'em.

Thank-You,
Karol
Old 07-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Karol, Do the 2 brackets I sent you line up with the two larger holes on the trailer? Find new stainless steel screws to fit the existing holes and then drill the bracket holes to allow the screws to pass thru the brackets holes and attach to the trailer. If the holes do not line up then use one or the other of them and place a aluminum pop rivet in the other hole as a patch. Put some Acryl-R or Vulkem on the rivet before you install it and also seal the center of the pop with it to prevent water penetration. Screw the bracket on the trailer temporarily so you can mark the center of the other (new) hole then remove the bracket and drill the new pilot hole for the other screw. That is a better fix than a full patch unless the old bracket was located in a totally wrong place on the trailer. Are you aware that you can purchase new mounts w/sliding bracket arms from any Airstream dealer? Do you have the original rock guard? I like the look of the original fiberglass ones for the 60's trailers better than the smoked Lexan ones that A/S sells today. Although the new ones are stronger than the fiberglass ones the look is just too (new) on an older vintage trailer. Hope you can use some of my advise but feel free to discard it if you have a better fix. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Ed,
The Tradewind is up north on a campsite as we speak. I will not know until Sunday or Monday if the holes line up. The AS dealer in milwaukee is new ( side line to a car dealership ) have called them about a part or two,,,, they have no clue. Besides new mounts wouldn't do me any good if they too are the smaller size which seems to be the standard now.
And I dont know if the original mount was correct or not. Is it supposed to be above or below the horizontal line that sort of bisects the window?
Thanks for the patching ideas... I haven't decided how I am going to do this yet. The old mounting holes on the skin stick up. Don't want to pound them flat... fearful of splitting the aluminum. Have to see if I can flatten them back out a little. What do you think of a heat gun to warm it up just a little?
I do have the old green plastic/ acrylite/ fiberglass...... rockguard. It is cracked ( I epoxied it ) and there is a chunk missing in the corner. Will get around to replacing green material with either acrylite or if the less expensive stuff at home depot looks good I'll use that.
Thank- You for the help.

Karol
Old 07-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Do you have any pictures of the bracket? I could possibly make you some if you have one I could use as a pattern
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Aerowood,
Thanks for the reply and thank - you for the offer of fabricating something. I have to go to where the tradewind is Sunday or Monday to get pictures of the old, the new to me ( from Ed ) and the arms w/ brackets that I purchased (the holes on the purchased brackets are really tiny and too closely spaced).
I can get dimensions on everything to go along with the pictures. It may take a few days. My digital camera is not great, images very grainy and when enlarged very pixelated.... so I think I am going to go the conventional film route, scan them in and add text. I'll post them as soon as I can.
Do you have any hints/ advice on lowering the edges of the mounting holes in the skin w/o cracking or spliting the edges??

Thank - you,

Karol
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Are the holes puckered out wards from a PK (sheet metal) screw? Are the distorted holes in the skin or a window frame and is there any other structure behind the the damaged skin that is also distorted?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Aerowood,
The holes are puckered out quite a bit from some big sheet metal screws. Holes are in the sheet metal, not the window frame. Nothing under the skin was damaged by screws.

Karol
Old 07-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yes, please post some pics. Many of us have lots of "adaptive" experience here! You first got the advice from two of our best '60's era restorers, Tom and Ed. If we all can see what you're dealing with, I'm sure a solution will come quick.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by campngirl
Hi Aerowood,
The holes are puckered out quite a bit from some big sheet metal screws. Holes are in the sheet metal, not the window frame. Nothing under the skin was damaged by screws.

Karol
Is there any way to get to the backside where the damanged holes are?

Kip
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Kip,
I could get to the inside of the damge by removing a panel on the inside, I guess.... but not ready to do that yet. I am also working on dropping belly pan ( replacing part of it ), dropping pan that black tank sits in, finding a leak and replacing/ repairing as needed.
I should have some photos posted of the damage and the brackets in a week or so.

thanks,
Karol