Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #1

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Lebanon , Ohio
Question 1975 Argosy Rock Guard

Hey Everyone,

I am excited to announce my purchase of a 1975 Argosy 26'. It needs a lot of work, but I am confident that all the answers I need have already been asked and posted! I am currently looking for a three piece rock guard to cover the front windows. I have looked online with very little success. Does anyone know of a dealer (new or used) that have these available?

Thanks, and I look forward to posting my progress!
Dean

Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am excited to announce my purchase of a 1975 Argosy 26'. It needs a lot of work, but I am confident that all the answers I need have already been asked and posted! I am currently looking for a three piece rock guard to cover the front windows. I have looked online with very little success. Does anyone know of a dealer (new or used) that have these available?

Thanks, and I look forward to posting my progress!
Dean
Congrats on the Argosy and welcome to the Forums.

Yup they are still available new through Airstream ( just had them try to sell me one on Monday) The only problem is they cant sell them through the parts counter. But you can call the "airstream store" In the front of the building they CAN sell you one IF you pick it up. Might as well get a good list of things before you go like Window and door seals, Rivets and sealant. The tour starts at 2:00 but they shut production early on Fridays so there is not much to see then but Take a day go you will enjoy it.

Happy Trailering, Mike

Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
do you know the cost at the Airstream store? I have a 1976 Sovereign that I need to buy for.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
My bill from AS. Was 378.?? With a hand full of rivets and some other small stuff. I bought mine in June. The price may vary. They would not ship if from Jackson ctr. The price for shipping was over $110.00 from California. I was fortunate enough to have it "catch a ride" on a caravan that was coming my way from the East coast. (airstreamers are the best) I suggest taking a day and a list of things you need and go to the factory and take the tour. You may want to call before you go with your list just to make sure that they have things in stock. (the computer was out of rock guards when I called but the store called the factory and had one boxed and ready.) The install is easy there is a video on the forums from "out of doors mart" that is very helpful.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I just picked up a one piece from the factory this week - $379. I think they mentioned the three piece was close to $700.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
This whole thread is a bit confusing. Why would a 3 piece cost twice as much?
Wonder why Airstream will not ship?
Wonder why they do not sell them thru their dealer network?
A (rockguard) factory was mentioned above. Any idea of who or what or where that manufacturer is? Was there any factory information on that box that was mentioned.

I am always interested in all things concening rockguards.
I found it odd that in the '70s era factory price sheets (posted somewhere here on forums), rockguards were not ever mentioned as a factory option. Not mentioned at all in fact.
Go figure.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The factory mentioned is the Airstream factory. You can buy parts through the company store if you go to the plant. Otherwise, parts are sold only through Airstream Dealers - which would include rock guards. For me it's an easy run up to Jackson Center. If not I would have to order it - they would ship it to the dealer and then I'd have to make arrangements to get it from them. If Jackson Center wasn't close I'd have just gone through Inland RV or Out of Doors Mart...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
As Garry mentioned The "factory" is Airstream. The parts counter would not sell me a rock guard unless they installed it at the service center. BUT The "airstream store" (which is abour 250 feet from the parts counter) COULD. On the phone with the parts counter they were refferring me to the "dealer nearest me" when I asked about getting it through the store. I was transferred up front and asked if I could buy it there and was told that they dont ship things and that I would have to go throuhg a dealer. I had arrangements for a "pick-up" in place so I told them that I would pay for it over the phone and have a person on the caravan grab it and bring it to me and it worked that way. I was told that they did not have any "in stock" and then she called the "Factory" and then she assured me that it would be ready. (she had said they were taping boxes for them now) When it got here there the sealent where the frame meets its self was still wet (not enough cure time).

The three piece Gruad is a whole different can of worms. They go further back on the sides of the trailer and the mounting system must be different to cover the longer windows. They have more framework and bends. I am sure they are more to manufacture but I agree that 700 seeme steep, (But I was bleeding in the ear when Igot the 378.?? quote)

I hope this helps clear things up. I am pleased with the guard but my wife hates it. She says "now instead of having a great looking old airstream we now have what looks like a crappy looking newer airstream".

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote