Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
There's a manual crank on the electric jacks?

But of course, I guess there would almost have to be. One thing I didn't get with my '73 .....

Note to self .. add manual crank handle and instructions to my "to do" list for the restore.

That's what's great about this forum .. there is a wealth of info to pick up even when you're not looking for it!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Boss, if you get a new jack, a manual crank should come with it. Otherwise, you can contact the manufacturer of the jack you have and see whether they have replacements.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Thumbs up Repairs in DFW

You may want to check with Randy at North Dallas RV. They are an AS warranty repair center. They do top notch sheet metal work.

North Dallas RV

Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Are you sure you didn't get ULSD? It's currently illegal to tell LSD for on-road use ... big time EPA fine for doing so, and refineries aren't making much of it, if any. I've seen quite a few stations that haven't replaced the stickers on their pumps, but ARE selling ULSD through them. I think that about the only way to get to a LSD pump is to find one in farm country used for e.g. filling farm tractors. In fact, since my tractor was made back in the day when LSD was the prevailing fuel, I suspect that its fuel pump is happier with the lubricity of LSD, but I often can't find it at all, so I add Stanadyne lubricity improver to its fuel. So if you filled up at a "normal" gas station and at a usual sort of pump, very unlikely you got other than ULSD. Gasoline is a different matter. However, I used to own a Mercedes diesel the manual for which advocated adding a gallon or two of gasoline to each tankfull in cold weather to prevent gelling. 'Course, it also didn't have a particulate filter!

And as to the water heater, mine is a decade older than yours, but it always takes a bunch of "tries" to get it to light at the start of a trip. It's at the very end of the propane line, and every trip seems to take a while to get enough propane down the line to light her up. Once lit, it does fine. Whenever I turn on the propane after a period of non-use, first thing I do is light all the stove burners ... and that takes a while. Then the furnace, if the weather's cool, then fridge. It takes a lot fewer "tries" to get the fridge working that way. And finally the end-of-the-line water heater. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to work better that way.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just remembered a heart stopper on our last trip. We stopped to get gas and I guess I went to the bathroom because by the time I got to the pump Barb was pumping something. I saw a green nozzle in the tank and thought it was diesel. Then I realized we were at a BP station and their gas nozzles are green unlike everywhere else where diesel is green.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
Are you sure you didn't get ULSD? It's currently illegal to tell LSD for on-road use ... big time EPA fine for doing so, and refineries aren't making much of it, if any. I've seen quite a few stations that haven't replaced the stickers on their pumps, but ARE selling ULSD through them.
I think you may be right. I was thinking it would be hard to find LSD in a Mobile station even though I was in a small farm town. They had a separate pump on the side of the building for "off road" diesel. Maybe they just haven't changed the stickers.

You know -- I have just read through my post from Monday. With a little time and distance, it all seems kind of silly. Almost everything that happened was a direct result of my own inattention to what I was doing. If I dented the trailer, then obviously I need to get my head more in the game when I am backing the thing up. If someone hit it, then I need to pay a bit more attention to where I park. The other "trailer" stuff is all trivial little things that are easily taken care of. The fueling problem was simply a result of me not paying attention to what I was doing.

I think it just all sort of piled up in a very short period of time. A couple of other threads this week have really made me appreciate how minor all this stuff is. There are a bunch of folks out there that would be extremely HAPPY to have a weekend like I had.

The truck is perfectly fine. None the worse for all of my panic and foolishness. The trailer will be like new once I hand over the deductible ;-)

I really do appreciate all the kind words from you folks though. Every time I took a gander at this thread, it took a little more of the sting away.

Thanks.

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #27
_

. , .
good post wayne and good attitude.

but just to clairify...

LSD is STILL available in some states at some pumps on the main islands.

i've used LSD in the last 6 months when available (and i've checked) since my truck is OK with it.

don't assume the label LSD is NOT correct, check b4 pumping.

and 'farm diesel' or off road diesel has red die, and must be clearly marked.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Well....

Sometimes you are the dawg, sometimes you are the the fireplug.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
Airstringers

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Irving , Texas
It seems like something goes wrong or breaks on every trip we take...
fortunately for us... not everything. Maybe "Murphy" is done with you for a year or two.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner61
The heat pump / AC have been working flawlessly. I really think it was just a combination of the fan on low and 100% humidity that night. I used the furnace the rest of the night but switched back to the heat pump during the day with no further issues. No problems the next night either.
I'm not sure that the fan set to low had a lot to do with it. In heat pump mode, the inside half of the unit is warm. The outside half is cold and will condense a lot of moisture that should run off the roof. Periodically, the unit has to run a defrost cycle. It does this by switching to A/C mode for a couple minutes without the inside fan running. While it's thawing out up there, the inside half gets pretty cold and could cause some condensation especially if the inside humidity was pretty high. I would think that would find its way to the drain line that normally drips when in A/C mode.

You may want to be watchful next summer when you start using the A/C... Maybe the mud daubers have plugged up your drain line. Not hard to fix that.

The jack gears should have a coating of Molykote or equivalent. This is a sticky grease that stays on the teeth better, but it is part of my spring routine to take the cover off the gear train and move the grease from the cover back onto the gears.

There's got to be a better design for lighting the oven pilot! It is easier if someone else can keep the knob pushed so you can locate and light the pilot. The flame should be small in standby and it gets larger when the oven valve is turned on. It should not make any particular noise when it's lit. If it seems too large and noisy, I would have a qualified tech look at it.

You had way too much "adventure" for one weekend yet you seem to be pretty positive about it all. Here's to many enjoyable outings in the future with only fun and no hassles.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossCamper
There's a manual crank on the electric jacks?

But of course, I guess there would almost have to be. One thing I didn't get with my '73 .....

Note to self .. add manual crank handle and instructions to my "to do" list for the restore.

That's what's great about this forum .. there is a wealth of info to pick up even when you're not looking for it!
Some jacks have a cap on the top of the head unit, and others have a hex head facing the side that accepts a socket wrench. The one on my AS requires you loosen but don't lose two Allen screws. One faces the rear so I have to take the tank cover off. When reassembling, there is a procedure to synchronize the limit switches with the jack to prevent damage.

Besides the crank, you need an Allen wrench that fits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1018892429.png
Views:	132
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	145629   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-559920606.png
Views:	146
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	145630