Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Wake Forest , North Carolina
What makes a good dealer?

My wife and I want to trade out 2007 Keystone and upgrade to an Airstream. We bought our Keystone 100 miles away because we got a smoking deal. We know realize that we want to upgrade again - yes it is still a smoking deal. We live in central NC. One Airstream dealer is 85 miles west - another dealer is 120 miles north. Probably a dealer in SC. How can I tell which company to visit? I want knowledgable sales people, quality inventory to choose from and professional treatment. Any suggestions on where to go from Central NC? I am not afraid to travel.
7husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I see a lot of people talk favorably of Airstrem of Arkansas on these forums. Is that too far?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Airstream Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
I see a lot of people talk favorably of Airstrem of Arkansas on these forums. Is that too far?
We bought our Airstream from Airstream of Arkansas, got a great deal, and have gotten exceptional service from them as well as other AS dealers during our travels.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7husker
My wife and I want to trade out 2007 Keystone and upgrade to an Airstream. Any suggestions on where to go from Central NC? I am not afraid to travel.
Colonial Airstream is in Lakewood, New Jersey... heard alot of good things about them and they probably have one of the best websites on Airstreams (superior to the mothership). Great photo layouts on each unit they sell.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Several suggestions, reseach where you receive the best deal, know how you want your AS equipped and inquire about service after the sale!
A service department whose techs receive regular training from AS and have longevity with respective dealership and receive high marks from customers is a big plus for "good service". Your willingness to travel the distance to a dealer who offers such service is also a factor. If the selling dealer has a service dept equal to the best that would be a great one-two punch for the customer. Having years of experience in the automotive service side, I cautiously sift through what any salesman has to say. Too many throw out a line with a sinker that's sure to take you straight to the botom.
Good luck, Larry
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Sales, schmales... it's the service department

...Especially with a NEW trailer, you want a dealer with a first rate service department. No rig, not even Airstream, is perfect from the factory. You'll want a dealer whose service department is up to the task of making your rig right. Also important is how well the service department can resolve issues with the factory (read that as cutting red tape). Colonial in Lakewood NJ does that all VERY well. They are a bit far from you in NC, but they are an excellent yardstick by which to measure other dealers.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The AS dealer in Kernersville, NC is a top rate facility. Sales, service, and the parts department are the most proficient I have found. I am glad to live only 100 miles away. Dan in the parts department is most helpful and will ship anything out to me in just a few days.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Just got off the phone with Gene (Airhog1) at Airstream of Arkansas. The most I have bought from them is a couple of cups when I was searching for a used 34. A couple of small parts, too. They treat me like a valued customer. I consider them friends.

Other friends have had service done there. Everyone has been pleased with their dealings.

They are big forum supporters, too.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
We have purchased two new Airstreams from Gene at Airstream of Arkansas. Nice prices, nice people (friends!) and a great service department. Worth the drive.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To me a good dealer is one that:

a) doesn't rip you off
b) knows the product
c) has good service folks that can repair and repair well

Though I have no exp with any of these I am about to mention, I have heard great things about Airstream of Arkansas and Ace Fogdall in Iowa. From what I have heard both meet or in more cases exceed the bar.

I bought our first from R and R RV sales in Gilman, IL. Not sure they are even still in business...not shocking. Paul Sherry RV seemed ok when I got my Safari, but a change of the guard happened after 2004 and the deals were not all that great any longer. Not sure they had a great service center either, but then again, with the factory right downt the street......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi, Tarheel!

I've also heard good things about your local N.C. dealer. I bought mine at Safford RV in Virginia. Adequate but no prizes.

Colonial in NJ is also very good. Not an impossible drive from NC, but I'd avoid I-95 towing if possible.

Paula
Old 06-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Our Safari 27 FB SE is our second AS purchased from Safford RV in Thornburg VA. They've been in the RV business for decades. Although they have SOB's, they really know Airstream.
PM me if you'd like and I can give you the name of our salesman.

The first one was absolutely flawless. The current one had a faulty connection on the hot water heater.
They fixed it in a jiffy.
Also gave me really good advice on some 'non-warranty' things I wanted to do with it.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Wake Forest , North Carolina
Thanks to everyone

I appreciate the info - especially on the local guys. With a potential trade in and the price of fuel, it would take alot for me to motor down to AK or up to NJ but we shall see. Thanks again.
7husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
I've been to the Greensboro dealership twice for service on a vintage AS,

I was happy with the service.....
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
...Especially with a NEW trailer, you want a dealer with a first rate service department. No rig, not even Airstream, is perfect from the factory. You'll want a dealer whose service department is up to the task of making your rig right. Also important is how well the service department can resolve issues with the factory (read that as cutting red tape). Colonial in Lakewood NJ does that all VERY well. They are a bit far from you in NC, but they are an excellent yardstick by which to measure other dealers.
One of the issues I had with our new Airstream was the 'infancy' problems. Over the past few years I've come to understand that Airstreams are hand-built, semi-custom units that most often need to be 'tweeked' during the generous warranty period. The SERVICE DEPARTMENT is the area most important to your ultimate enjoyment of the product.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Look for a (service) dealer that is -primarily- an Airstream-focused dealer. I bought mine from an RV mega-dealer and they know very little about the "quirks" of an A/S.

I took my '07 to Middle Tennessee Airstream for repairs/warranty work and they were excellent because they have dealt with the product for a long time.

So, perhaps buy from the mega-dealer and then have it serviced at an A/S-focused dealer, or buy and service it at the same A/S-focused dealer.

As others have stated, there -will- be punch-list work that has to be done to your new rig; I've had twelve things fixed so far (and counting)

Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote