Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Smile The Chronicle of My New-To-Me 2008 25' Safari SE FB!

I'm starting a thread to keep track of all the personalizing that I will be doing to my new-to-me Dream Airstream, a 2008 25' Safari SE FB Queen.

I bought it on September 24, 2012 and towed it home from Missouri. It had only been used a handful of times by both the previous owners. I paid $38,500 for it and had to add about $2,500 in taxes, fees and plate transfers when I got it home to Ohio.

This trailer had been stored in a cave in Missouri whenever it wasn't being camped in - hence, due to climate control in caves, it had never been winterized, never seen the sun and, except for a doink by the first owner who let the awning arm swing and crash into the trailer to the left of the door, is pristine!

The inside looks like it was never use. The stove and oven have never been cooked in/on, the shower is perfect - everything is just what I was hoping for when I was looking for this particular model of Airstream. I love the double sink in the kitchen!

So, all that being said, I'm embarking on a journey to 'make it mine'.

The Silver Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen
2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Give the Queen Bed A King-Feel

My first project was to enlarge the bed as much as possible to give the queen bed a king-feel. I did not want to lose the little night table so I left the bed at the head alone.

I felt the space between the forward side of the bed and the wall with the Panoramic windows was a waste - who can walk in there anyway? I decided to fill that in and move the mattress down about 5" to make it a standard length.

I constructed a platform to hold the extension and then added plywood to the edge of the lifting deck. I made the foot of the bed strong enough to 'take a knee' as Brian will be getting in and out of bed via the foot of the bed because he got the inside spot on the bed.

I filled in the space at the head of the bed and the side with 6" (the thickness of the mattress) firm foam. I purchased a slightly used memory foam 2 1/2" topper from someone and cut it to fit (around the night table and a bit off the side). This made the transition from the mattress to the added foam undetectable.

Additionally, I had read some threads about moisture under the mattress being a problem due to heat/cold (from the outside storage bin) so I pieced a sheet of 1/2" styro-board insulation between the deck and mattress. I cut the insulation at the 'break' where the hinge is and put some duct tape over the cut so it opens without disrupting everything.

I topped the topper with a dual control heated mattress pad, another plain mattress pad and then the sheets and cotton blanket. Lastly is our wonderful down blanket.

I also took some advice from another 'streamer' and added a webbing loop at the foot of the bed to aid with lifting and lowering the deck with mattress, etc. This was a brilliant idea and works like a charm!

So, below are my pictures....the job came out excellent! I have yet to sleep on it but that day is coming very soon! I've been told that it has the feel (to the hand) of a water bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	169862

Name:	IMG_1886.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	169863

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	169864

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	169865

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	169866

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	169867

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	169868

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Wink Where To Put The Kleenex Box?

My second project involves the Kleenex boxes - I use a ton of Kleenex in the kitchen for wiping up little spills, etc. As well, I couldn't find a spot in the bedroom to put one, other than the head of the bed which wasn't acceptable.

My solution was to go to Hobby Lobby and for $5 purchase an unfinished wooden Kleenex box holder with a sliding wood bottom. I modified this a bit by gluing a rectangle of plywood a bit thicker than the space from the sliding bottom to where it sits on the table and then I spray painted it silver. I screwed the bottom to 1. under the kitchen cabinet and 2. on the side of the wardrobe in the bedroom.

The bedroom one is awesome because I solved another problem - that being where did I put my tea cup in the morning while I was laying like a slug looking out my awesome panoramic windows? On top of the Kleenex holder now!

There was one glitch with the design - the Kleenex boxes are a bit too tall - no problem - I cut the bottom 1/2" or so of the box off and it worked great.

To refill, just slide the box part off the attached bottom and re-load. Easy Breezy!

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	169869

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	169870

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	169871

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	169872

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	169873

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
The Bathroom Kleenex Box and Another Mirror

I was trying to figure out where to put the Kleenex in the bathroom and discovered that a box 'jams' into the shelf above the sink quite nicely!

As well, I wanted another mirror in the bathroom because that slanted one on the door of the cabinet give me a somewhat 'distorted' look. I solved this by purchasing a Mirror Placemat at the Goodwill for $4. I mounted it against the wall with the doorway and used 3 mirror holders (1/8"). Now I have a nice beveled edge mirror in the bathroom!

You will see from the picture that I have added a toothbrush cup and towel ring. Soon to come will be a single handle faucet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	169874  

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Cracked Fantastic Fan Trim Ring and NO Reverse Feature

I noticed that the inside trim ring on the Fantastic Fan in the bedroom was all cracked. Also, I don't find any switch that will reverse the action of the blades (I've had Fantastic Fans in the past and they had this feature).

I called the Fantastic Fan Co. and spoke with a very, very nice man, Bob, who said that the company would replace the trim ring - pre-2009 would have to pay shipping. He asked what trailer I had and I said Airstream - he said that would require the curved trim ring - WHAT? Both my fans have straight trims - I could see some fiberglass hanging out of the edge on one of them.....He said no problem - he is sending me two new trim rings for the cost of shipping.

When I asked about the reverse option, he gave me the number of a place where I can buy a pre-wired switch to change out the 'off/on' one that is there. I ordered two for $25 each - Bob said to call him when I get them and he would talk me through how to put them on.

Wonderful! I will post about it when those come!

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Regarding Towing With Air Suspension

I tow my trailer with a 2006 Lincoln Navigator. The car has air suspension. When we took possession of the trailer in Missouri, it was from the previous owner. My car has a trailer brake controller on it already. I though we could hook up and go.

It seemed like we could. We put the trailer on the car (Equalizer Hitch) and it appeared level. We took off down the road and it only took a few dozen miles to realize that something was wrong. The car was being thrown all over the road...it was scarey!

Fortunately, we had passed the very dealership that this trailer had originally been purchased from - Bill Thomas Airstreams in St. Louis. We called there and they were more than willing to help - unfortunately, we had to drive about 150 miles to get there and they would be closed when we arrived - no problem - they have full hook-up pads - first come, first served. We made it and got the last spot!

In the morning, we got out the owners manual for the car and referred to the towing section. A detailed proceedure was in there for setting up a load-distributing hitch. We followed this - which included taking measurements front and rear, switching off the air suspension, etc. It turned out that the hitch was not properly set for my car - the service manager came out and got us all set up - No Charge!

We took off down the road with a much better handling car - the ride home was not white-knuckle like the day before - easy breezy! God is Good!

And you've got to love those McKesh Towing Mirrors!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1868.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	169875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	169876  

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Unhappy Leaky Window and Seal Tech Test

While driving the new trailer home we had dry weather - until we hit Ohio. While in a rest area, I went in to check the dry-ness of the trailer - UH OH! - Water at the back window - both sides of the middle one in the Panoramic.

First order of business when I got home was to look up online who does the Seal Tech test in NE Ohio. I made an appointment with All Seasons RV in Streetsboro, OH.

The test took about an hour - consisted of hooking a big hose to the inside of the fantastic fan vent. A big fan then sucks air into the trailer. With it all closed up, the tech goes around with a yard-type sprayer filled with very soapy water and starts spraying on all seams, lights, windows - where it bubbles, there is a leak. The tech has a diagram of the trailer and circles where he finds leaks.

On my trailer, there were 2 or 3 minor leaks near the bottom and BOTH opening panoramic windows leaked - it seems they are not touching the gaskets! (as I suspected). The roof was A-ok.

I'm going to try to tighten up the window latches and get those suckers to seal up. I'll apply some silicone to the gasket and see if that helps. They are not sealing properly from about 1/2 way up, all the way to the hinge. I think the latches are too loose and am hoping that will do it. It appears to be an easy fix.

I'll report back after I make this repair.

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Angry Why Ever Did They Put The Water Pump There????

As I mentioned, this trailer has never been winterized. Otherwise, the placement of the water pump (by the factory) would have been addressed before now.

What the heck was Airstream thinking about when they put that pump in? And the filter???!!! Who, but someone with 4' long arms, could reach that filter and clean it? Horrible design!

I want to put a winterizing kit on the pump but I can't begin to work on it because: 1. It is too far back in the cupboard under the wardrobe, 2. it is installed sideways and I can't see the back valve, 3. the cupboard door is too small to get both arms/hands in to work......dreadful design!

I have an appointment with Airstream at Jackson Center on October 29 to have the water pump moved to a more user-friendly position and to have a winterizing kit installed - as well, I think I will have the Shurflo Accumulator Tank installed at the same time to eliminate some of the surge.

On the good side, we'll take the Factory tour and enjoy that while they are fixing this blunder. I'm planning on scavenging a few rivets from the floor as we go around on the tour to replace any that pop out inside my camper (there are 3 now).

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Congratulations on your AS. I also have a 25 footer (after camping in a 31 footer for 2 years). I love our newer AS, but storage is a challenge for me. I am getting used to it though. I am really loving your posts, especially about your add-ons. Keep those good ideas coming!
WBCCI #10360
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
be careful with the tension on those windows. if they're too tight they can pop when the trailer flexes.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I have an appointment with Airstream at Jackson Center on October 29 to have the water pump moved to a more user-friendly position and to have a winterizing kit installed - as well, I think I will have the Shurflo Accumulator Tank installed at the same time to eliminate some of the surge.

If you have the variable speed water pump a Shurflo Accumulator is not recommended. If you need an accumulator I have a new one for sale. I purchased it then found out I can't use it.

On winterizing, you may want to look at the owners manual and see what Airstream had in mind. Some trailers just drain well with a compressor, they don't need anti-freeze pumped in. Just a spash in the drains.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
Congrats! I can't wait to tour it at the Anniversary Rally!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
The Fantastic Fans Close In The Rain And The Trailer Gets Hot

I found that the Fantastic Fans with the rain sensors work very well! When it rains, they close (turning off in the process). After a while, they re-open and start running again.

Problem: We travel with 3 Yorkies and if we leave them in the trailer with the fans providing air circulation and coolness and it would rain, it would be a problem for their well-being because the trailer could get hot.

Solution: Yesterday we went to Camping World and had the (new?) Maxxair II Vent Covers installed on both roof vents. Now, if it rains, they will stay open (unless it rains sideways!), the dogs will be comfortable and so will we if it rains while we're in there!

No-air-flow = bad, air-flow-even-if-raining = good!

This particular model offers twice as much vent area and has hinged brackets for easy opening and cleaning. I got them on sale at $43 each with $12 for installation. Plus I got an extra discount for my Good Sam Membership!

MaxxAir II Vent Covers - Product - Camping World

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Where To Put Wet Towels?

Problem: Where do you put wet towels after showering? And, where do you put the dry one you will want after you finish your shower?

Solution: Camping World comes to the rescue again - clear lucite hooks - single or double - inexpensive and effective! I put two singles to hang on the inside of the shower door to hang the wet towels on after we're done showering and one double on the outside to hold the 'waiting dry towel' for the person showering! (and temporarily hold the wet towel of the person who is done) These hang over the top of the shower door!

Over-the-Door Hooks - Product - Camping World

The Silver Pearl

2006 Lincoln Navigator
McKesh towing mirrors