Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Thanks for all of your ideas. Like you we bought a new pristine 06 25' Safari FB and have loved it. Loved saving 20K and the trailer still smells like new inside. Fortunattly the previous owner had fixed any leaks and defects before we purchased it.

RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Red face Bathroom Pictures With No Door or Wall

Here are the pictures of the bathroom with no door or wall - I can't believe how much more roomy it seems.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	170852

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	170853

I have to leave the little wall next to the toilet because there is a sewer vent pipe running up to the roof in the corner of it - I might remove some of it later......the wall that is!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Thumbs up Stainless Steel Covers Arrived! AND Sirius Radio!

Oh Goody! The stainless steel covers that I ordered have arrived. We spent a little time trying (and succeeding) to get the white plastic protective coating off. I'm going out there in a bit to see what is involved in putting on the hot water and furnace covers - the stove vent might be challenging for me as it involves caulk or something like that - I might have it put on while we're at Jackson Center on Monday.

I think I'm pretty cool because I got my Sirius Radio to work in the trailer. I put the antenna out through the roof vent (Fantastic Fan). I had to use a file to make an existing hole bigger to fit the jack to the radio through it - the antenna works even though it is under the MaxxAir2 vent! Now, to deal with the wire - I'm wondering if it can be 'fished' between the inner skin and outer skin....not sure - might be another Jackson Center job.

I was dismayed to find that the pink insulation that is exposed when I removed the fantastic fan trim ring was sopping wet on one side. We've had a little rain so something up there is leaking - Jackson Job.

There is still water coming into the chanel between the rear center window and the screen......I've tightened it as much as I dare.....Jackson Job.

Cha-ching on Jackson......Oh well, can't have leaks.

I'll post pictures of the Stainless when I get it installed.

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
RE: water in back window

I had the same issue with my '06 25FB and I thought it had to do with the rubber seal around the window too. I cleaned them and adjusted the clamps but it still didn't stop the water. The tech guy at the Airstream told me that the leak was above the window and the water was coming through one of the seams in the aluminum panels.

I got up on the ladder and could actually see areas where the caulk had started to deteriorate. After cleaning out as much as I could, I re-caulked everything from the window to the top of the trailer. No more leaks and it has been 2 years now.

When moving down the highway in a driving rain I will still see a "little" water in the channel but that doesn't bother me. I am pretty sure this is caused by the rain blowing past the seal. I sop up this water with a paper towel and everything stays dry even when it is raining.

Be careful not to put too much pressure on the window by tightening the latches. I also heard that putting silicone on the rubber seals is not a good idea. I use that Aerospace protectant stuff which is similar to Armor All or the STP protectant they say to use on the dashboard of your car.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
When I bought my AS, the dealer gave me some sample packs of Aerospace 303 Protectant for the rubber window seals. If you're in JC, you might ask them if that is truly recommended or if they suggest something else.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Stainless steel covers

FYI, just in contact with Ken at the dealer that was selling out of the stainless steel furnace/water heater covers...........alas, all sold out. He who hesitates gets no covers! Would appreciate a lead if anyone finds another source at a reasonable cost. Thanks again.
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #35
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Next year ideas....

If your ever interested in Boondocking, I learned alot on my 45 day trip and I m actually still living in the camper now in Ohio Until I find an apartment at my new job.

I am glad that you were able to find a camper after we spoke in August

Enjoy the joy of making the camper your own

I really am quite pleased with Solar Panels and the and the LED Light change....

Changing out my counters to corian this winter is next on my customization.

And for the record, Someone at the Factory likes to drink and if you keep bottles of wine and bourbon in you pantry you really only have room for one more shelf
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	171381  
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Rainy Camping and Trip to Jackson Center

Last weekend we joined about a dozen other Airstreams for the weekend. It turned out to be a cold and rainy weekend. We set up in the rain and tore down in the rain and ran heaters the whole weekend. BUT! We still had a wonderful time!

On Sunday, we headed on over to Jackson Center and spent the night on the Terra-Port to be able to get into the Service Center at 7am on Monday. The service people were awesome and I had my complete list of issues handled - including installing the Stainless Steel covers which I was having problems with. I had dinked up the grill on the water heater and had to pay about $12 to get a new one. Everything is all installed now and looking fabu!

Name:	IMG_1948.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	171821

Name:	IMG_1949.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	171822

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	171823

Regarding our first camping trip - it was very cold and we ended up only getting 5 showers and some dishwashing out of the fresh tank. We figured this was because we had to let the water run to get the hot flowing.....we're hoping that summer won't use up so much water and full hook-ups would have been helpful. Thankfully, neither of us was soapy when we ran out of water and we were at the factory in Jackson Center where they do have water hook-up and we re-filled our tank.

The Service Center moved my water pump and filter to just inside the door and installed the winterizing kit for me (the main reason for going). I'll show a picture of that, too (in another post because it won't let me do it now).

Besides those things, Service had to replace 3 window gaskets including the leaker on the back panoramic. I don't think this totally solved the problem but it seems way better. They also sealed the rear Fantastic Fan which had a leak on the front corner.

I had them remove the lower rail, seal the area between the shell and bumper (a notorious high-problem area for leaks and rotten floor) and drop the rear belly to 1. check the condition of the floor (totally dry and solid) and 2. make slits in the reflectix insulation which is notorious for holding water and causing problems.

I'm feeling really good about the trailer now - I think I've done everything I can to make sure it is dry and will last a long time.

Note: In the future I will have the SealTech test done at the Airstream Factory. They are more sensitive about testing Airstreams and fix any leaks they find - cost for test there is $150.

SOOOOOOO, almost $1200 later which includes a few baubles from the store (ZipDee handles, clear coat touch-up and a key chain), I'm a happy camper.

We really enjoyed the tour of the factory (again) and when it was over, our trailer was almost done. All repairs took a full day and they had to add another man to help get done.

Pump pictures follow:

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Moved Pump Pictures

Here are the pictures of my water pump in its new location: (by the way - the service guy talked me out of the accumulator - said they hadn't used those in years and I really didn't need it.)

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	171828

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	171829

As I look at the previous post Stainless Steel pictures, I think the range vent cover looks plastic - believe me, it is Stainless Steel - we're dealing with the remains of Superstorm Sandy and are having another gray and wet day......

After the camping weekend, I find a need to deal with SHOES! I had removed the drawer that was under the dinette bench just inside the door and this gave us some space to place wet and muddy shoes.....I'm trying to think of a way to use the sliding bracket to make a shelf that will come out and hold multi pairs of shoes....Still working this out.

The other thing I will do myself it to fish the Sirius Radio wire through the ceiling in between the inner and outer skin to where the radio stuff is inside the overhead cabinet. It would have cost me about $200 to have the service guy do it at Jackson - he told me what to do and it doesn't seem hard. I don't like that black wire coming out from under my Fantastic Fan trim ring and going into the hinge of the cupboard......I'll be dealing with that when it gets warmer and dryer.

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Those stainless covers look great!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Thanks Goose - bummer that they are all sold out for anyone wanting the 'deal of the century'.

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I do owe you thanks for mentioning the sale on the covers. I got one of the last range vent covers - good, because that's the one that bugged me the most on the trailer.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #41
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Some tips on water usage, a lot of people try to recycle the water they waste waiting for it to get warm and have a small pan or pot they fill to use for dishes later. Another tip i found was to change out the shower head, a lot of people like the Oxygenics one which only uses 2.5 gallons a minute which is a lot less then the stock one. What I do as well is I always have a 5 gallon Moeller Water jug that I keep on hand to add water if needed. But if you add water, just make sure you have an extra hose to drain off the gray water in the woods, or a small bucket that u can dump the water down the toilet, as you will NEVER by any normal means lol fill that tank. Just some things I have learned....
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Those are great ideas mgm! Thank you! I'm putting the Oxygenics on my Christmas list!

I heard of another streamer who had a little valve installed somewhere on the gray water line. They could open it and a little drip started - not a lot and not noticable but very effective while driving down the road, etc. for getting rid of some of the gray water. I might look into that........

Off the subject but another project that I'd like to do is mount a plug outside the trailer that runs off 12v where I can plug in the socket that normally goes on the car - I'd like to be able to turn on the trailer running lights sometimes (if we leave the campsite and need to locate the trailer in the dark, etc.) As well, a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter style) on the outside of the trailer would be nice.

McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers