Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Smoke, Smoke Everywhere

Went to the mountains of NC this past week, stayed at a KOA. Nice and relaxing, however, at night the campfires would get stoked up and if I had the AC on, it would pull the smoke into the trailer!

I know the vent for the bathroom is where it is getting "sucked" into the trailer, how do I keep it from coming in? Hot week, and not have the AC on at night was a miserable. Would wake up in the middle of the night and turn on the AC and then - sleep finally!

Any ideas? Anybody else have this problem? Who could keep the kiddies from having their hotdogs and smores!? I cringe when the wood comes out from the backs of vehicles and hope the wind blows in the opposite direction!
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
_

. , .
no fumar aquí en este hilo

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...res-52943.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Get used to it. You can shut everything in the trailer up just as tight as you can get it and the smoke will still get in. Learn to love it.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
This is part of what we call "camping". Even if it defies all reason to have a fire (100 degree weather, Rain, etc.) man will make fire.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Had the same experience. I could have done without the smoky fires but the other campers liked them. Not a problem.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Went to the mountains of NC this past week, stayed at a KOA. Nice and relaxing, however, at night the campfires would get stoked up and if I had the AC on, it would pull the smoke into the trailer!

I know the vent for the bathroom is where it is getting "sucked" into the trailer, how do I keep it from coming in? Hot week, and not have the AC on at night was a miserable. Would wake up in the middle of the night and turn on the AC and then - sleep finally!
Something about this doesn't sound right to me. None of our trailers are air tight, but I have never had an experience where running the AC causes campfire smoke to get "sucked" in to the trailer. If anything, when the neighbors pull out the firewood -- especially if they bought the green stuff that the campground office is selling -- we close the windows and turn on the AC avoid the smoke.

It could be that we are less sensitive to the smell of the smoke than than you are. But maybe you should take a look at that vent. Is this the one that has the handle that you push up to open, pull down to close, with a little button to turn it on/off?
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
Not sure, but some of the air units can exaust or intake fresh air. Check your manual or the specific air unit instructions. My units from late 80's had that option.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Move somewhere else.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Sussex Co. , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Move somewhere else.
Moving somewhere else is not always an option. The campground could be full if it is a small one. If you're long term camping you may be at a monthly or seasonal site where it's not a simple matter of moving the trailer, but maybe sheds or decks too. I've also had the AC pull in smoke from a neighboring campfire. It is frustrating. I've also had my vehicle smell like a smokehouse for several days, which sucks in hot weather as it never really airs out in hot humid weather where the car ac just circulates it further evry time you drive. I've nothing against a campfire, but if the wind blows it right into another site and the people paying for THAT site are uncomfortable and say something, then the right thing to do is forego the fire for that nite. One person's idea of a good time should not ruin another's ---time off and vacations are just too few and too long in-between.
stonyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Sussex Co. , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkroff View Post
This is part of what we call "camping". Even if it defies all reason to have a fire (100 degree weather, Rain, etc.) man will make fire.
You get some argument here from a large number of folks who would say if you're not in a tent and if you have elec and water hook-up it's not really camping. I tend to agree. RVing? yes. Travelling? yes. Camping, no.
stonyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't think this smokey air is coming into the trailer through the AC. All three trailers i've owned had the AC air filters on the inside of the trailer and not outside, which leads me to believe the air intake is on the inside. I just replaced the AC shroud on the AS last week, and there was no air inlet that I could see topside.

Maybe it just seems like the smoke is coming from the AC because it is circulating and blowing the air around the cabin.

My two cents on fires is that a well built fire doesn't smoke, it fire doesn't need flames reaching to the overhanging tree limbs, and the worst, IMO, fire practice is burning left over meal garbage thrown in the fire pit to smolder most of the night.

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
No solution, just an observation. I had the same problem but discovered the source of the leak was air being pulled in through the kitchen stove vent. Slowed it gown in the same manner as I deal with the excess leakage of heat in winter - an appropriately sized piece of aluminum foil placed over the filter screen, but this time \on the side of the screen facing the flow of smoke into the trailer. However, I must say it only reduces the flow, as the fan on the A/C in the high setting moves air through any available crack and crevice, including around the locker doors under the beds and the locker under the living room on the street side in our trailer.

As I said, not a solution. I have been known to ask nearby sources of smoke to burn a little cleaner (smaller fire, split wood into smaller pieces for less smoke, more fire) but if it is too much, I have to leave. One lung leaves me with no choice. I hope your situation is different.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Thank You All!

I really appreciate your posts to this "smoky" situation! Moving to another sit was not an option. Seems that the only time the smoke would suck in would be when it would be abaci the trailer. The campground I was at was terraced and the smoke would stay around if the wind was not moving it away from me.

It definitelynwas not coming in through the AC, just being circulated by it once inside. I have the 23'FB with the rear bath, which was pointed right into the prevailing wind direction, thus smoke in bathroom and ac did the rest. Do not have the vent that pulls up and down, only the standard plumbing vent, and kitchen fan vent. All other openings were closed tight.

I just can't sleep in smoke. If i wanted the tenter's experience I would have bought a tent! Just bugs me to see people burning precious wood resources, while not even attending to it, as well as polluting the earth's atmosphere as well. I am concerned about breathing smoke for health concerns too!

Maybe a prudent visual of any open orifices will help me determine where it is coming in and get the appropriate caulking to do the job. If it is indeed the vent - and only when the smoke is in the roof area, I think I will be "smoking up the wrong tree!". (sorry could not resist!).

Nancy
Old 07-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Move somewhere else.
Heck, I meant to another camp, not site.

Why would you stay in a place where your "neighbours" think nothing of asphyxiating you?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Hi Aage,

Have gone to this park before and knew that the way the prevailing winds go, that it could be a problem. It really was not a prob. until the last 2 days of my stay and at least they didn't leave the rip-roaring fire going all night!