Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Sleeping Accommodations beyond the queen bed in a 25FB or 27FB

My husband and I are looking at either a Safari (Flying Cloud) 25FB or 27 FB. The main use will be for the two of us. However, we are expecting to take a married couple on a tour of the western states for approximately two weeks. He is approximately 6’2’ and like us, suffers from back trouble. What are the sleeping dimensions of the dinette on the 25 and the 27? It doesn't look to me as if a full size person can use the couch. How comfortably do the dinette and couch sleep? Thanks in advance for your expertise! Mary D.
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryD View Post
My husband and I are looking at either a Safari (Flying Cloud) 25FB or 27 FB. The main use will be for the two of us. However, we are expecting to take a married couple on a tour of the western states for approximately two weeks. He is approximately 6’2’ and like us, suffers from back trouble. What are the sleeping dimensions of the dinette on the 25 and the 27? It doesn't look to me as if a full size person can use the couch. How comfortably do the dinette and couch sleep? Thanks in advance for your expertise! Mary D.
I have the 25 FB (want the 27 but waiting). The dinette is quite comfortable and I've been known to xxxxxzrrrk! fall asleep on it without a problem. I have replaced the mattress in the bedroom, but I fulltime and the original isn't a heavy duty 20 year mattress.

The side couch on the 25 is regularly where my sister sleeps when she visits. She doesn't even pull it out and extend it - and doesn't report any trouble - but she's 5' 3". Once the big back pillows are taken off the dinette, it is over 8 ft long. With one tall person sleeping on each, they might play footsies if they're oriented toe to toe, but they should have plenty or room. I wouldn't rate either as SUPER comfortable, but they are adequate. Go visit a dealer, bring a clean sheet and flop for a half an hour! Using those vacuum bags you can carry a memory topper or two in minimal space.

You'll love the storage in the 27 - and the front to back queen is much easier to make up.

Paula
Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
he doesn't even pull it out and extend it
Mary, Paula is talking about how the trim piece on the front of the couch pulls the sleeping platform out an additional 14-15". One can still get by although that narrows the aisle significantly. I just went out and measured -- with the back cushions laid flat toward the wall the width of the couch 'bed' is about 44". I don't think I'd do a lot of sitting directly on the edge of the pulled out portion but it easily takes the weight of a generous sized adult sleeping.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mary, welcome to the Forum. I don't know if anyone else is 6'2', but if so, the queen bed isn't as long as a standard queen. I think it's about 4" shorter. We put a memory foam pad on top of it (we didn't think the mattress was very comfortable) and is longer than the OEM mattress, but at least I don't feel my toes hanging out in midair and I'm 5'10". If you want to replace the mattress for a longer one, I'm unsure how you deal with the curve in the bedroom corner. As for the other "beds", I hope never to find out since I think 4 people traveling in a 25' trailer could lead to dark thoughts and possible felonies.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Paula, and Bob, and Gene, Thank you for your quick responses. Paula and Bob, the info about the dinette and couch helps greatly. Paula, taking a sheet to a test the experience is a great idea. Gene, thank you also for the welcome and the info on the size of the actual queen bed. The topper sounds like a good idea. I had a chuckle re dark thoughts and felonies. I have been doing as much forum reading as possible agree with buying for our long term needs (which doesn't include 2 extra people). The "good news" is that the couple currently lives aboard a long boat (canal boat) in the uk and which is 8 feet wide. My husband and I currently have a coleman pop up trailer so at least we all know what we would be facing.

Mary
Old 08-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryD View Post
The "good news" is that the couple currently lives aboard a long boat (canal boat) in the uk and which is 8 feet wide.

Mary
If they're British, they'll at least be polite.

Gene
Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Mary,

Since you are in Oakland, you would be welcome to come out and try out/measure etc our 27FB in all the interations mentioned. I don't know if any dealers in the area have that unit in stock unless except possibly Toscanos in Los Banos.

John
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #8

2008 27' Safari FB SE
San Jose , California
Sleeping in 27FB

My wife and I have the 27FB and I'm 6'3"... I haven't lied down on the dinette side- it looks a bit short to me, but according to the floorplans on the Airstream website, it should be good for 80 inches on the inside (6'7", which is plenty if you don't "migrate" during the night!)

If it was me, I'd be sleeping on the couch, wall-side (not the pull-out side) which would afford you well over 100 inches. So, if you migrate south - it isn't a big deal. I've napped there myself with great results! ;-)

Jody
3waboritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
trying to decide between the 25 and 27FB

Any others out there who have wrestled with this dilemma? Decided and regretted or loved their choice? I guess is boils down to 27 is roomier and who wouldnt want that? but is it just enough to be to unwieldy? as it is i poured a cement slab to store my 19 and now i have to see if it needs to be added onto or can i get my post and tires on the slab and let the rear hang off? also can i wheel that baby in there? Also coming from the single axle i've heard the doubles are more stable towing but not as nimble when you are backing them into a spot etc. Im afraid of getting the 25 and wishing i'd gone bigger. I guess i can alway learn to handle a bigger rig but can I learn to be comfy in a smaller space, well i could maybe, but there are three others with me who might disagree.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randjg1 View Post
Any others out there who have wrestled with this dilemma? Decided and regretted or loved their choice? I guess is boils down to 27 is roomier and who wouldnt want that? but is it just enough to be to unwieldy?
I guess this question isn't about beds. Deciding between the 25' and 27' is something that has spawned many other threads (the beds have too). Among the questions to be answered is what your tow vehicle can handle. Many, but certainly not all, believe anything longer than a 25' needs a 3/4 ton truck. I would imagine that after a 19', either size would feel enormous. Roughly the differences between the 25' and 27' are: about a foot more storage, a foot more in the bedroom, the bed turned 90˚, and the kitchen sink. Otherwise they are the same (except for length and weight, of course).

Check around for those threads on 25' vs. 27'. You can spend the rest of the weekend reading and searching.

Gene
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Our New Airstream will be here soon!

I wanted to close the loop on this discussion. The forum input on A/S choices and issues has been worth its weight in gold! We ordered a Flying Cloud 27FB at the end of March from the factory. We hope to have our new trailer by the end of this month. Thank you all for helping us make what I think is the right decision for us every step of the way, from the tow vehicle, to the A/S choice, to the hitch. Best, Mary D.