Old 09-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
McMinnville , Oregon
Safari Sport bed dimensions

Can anyone tell me what the bed dimensions are on a 17' Safari Sport when the bed is fully folded out into the sleeping mode. We are looking for something that gets close to queen size. It looks like all the Bambi's have pretty small beds in the back.
Thanks,
Cameron

Old 05-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
We have a 2008 17ft Safari Sport. The bed was barely adequate for two and a small dog. We were able to expand it to queen size. One 4 foot cushion is used on the slide out but it sits half an inch below the rest of the couch so I put a piece of half inch rug foam under it. The couch has another 4 foot cushion which was unused but it is not of uniform thickness. I built a sloped folding platform out of 3/8 inch plywood. The extra cushion wedges in against the end of the counter so it is very stable. The result is a bed which is queen size for 4 feet in the middle where you need the width. We find it plenty wide now. We also added a layer of foam to smooth out the seams. It's now a very comfortable bed. I don't mind rolling up the foam and storing the extras in the tow vehicle during the day.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sturbridge , Massachusetts
Hello, I am a new member and hoping to get some pricing information on a 2008 17ft Safari sport. I am looking at a one owner trailer in excellent condition. The only upgrades that I am aware of at the moment include a convection oven and an awning. I am hoping it came with or has AC? I won't actually see it until next week, but it was owned by a friend and she hardly used it. I called a dealer and they told me that top price would be around 17K, and that would be a lot because this particular model (without the wrap around window, carpet walls, and no permanent bed) was not a big seller. I don't necessarily care about all of those things since I want something less expensive to see if I will get use out of it. I think they look cute, but just want to make sure the re-sale value will hold on this model. Also, is anyone bothered by the small size of the bed. I found the measurement to be 6 inches less in width than my queen matress at home, but a few inches longer in length. I am hoping this will fit two adults comfortable, but after reading dalemonroe's post I am a bit leary to have to do a retro-fit. Thanks for any advice you can provide on the cost. I hope it is okay to discuss this on forums. The asking price is 20K, which I think may be too high.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
2008 Safari Sport 17 foot

Our 2008 Safari Sport 17 foot came with a convetional convection oven microwaave combo, awning and air conditioning. I asume they were all outfitted that way. The wrap around front windows look nice but we find that the intertior is well lit without them due to the skylight.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Dalemonroe for the information about the Safari sport. I am going to look at one this Friday. Is there any way you would comment on what you think about price? It is difficult since despite what the dealers are claiming...there are none of these exact models for sale anywhere that I can find. I suppose if I actually owned one I would hope it was worth a decent amount. Happy New Year, I will post again after I go see the Sport!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
83 x 46 according to the specs - here they are

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...78a01ee258.pdf

There is always demand for the small trailers, and 17k seems low to me, and a deal for an '08. I liked the early sport models-they were bare bones, thus lightweight. The large bathroom is wonderful.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The bed is a slightly underwidth double. A true double is usually 48"
Bear in mind, on the 17 Sport, there is only one holding tank, a combined grey/black tank.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

I spoke with three dealerships who all said the same thing...that this particular model (08' Safari Sport) was not a huge seller because of the floorplan. In my opinion, I agree with Robert that there is a niche market for the smaller trailers, and the large dry bath in this model is awesome! Granted this size trailer is definitely not for families, but for two people I think it would work great as a starter AS trailer. I can't see going all out spending 40 or 50K, if I have never even owned one. Yes, I think that making the bed up every night will get tiresome after a while, but if I buy it I think I will add a screen room onto the awning to add extra living space. I have decided that I am going to look at the trailer and not get discouraged by what the dealers say, and see what it is worth to me. The problem is I am not seeing any for comparison pricing, maybe one or two, that are for sale or have been for sale in the past year. If 20k seems too high (the asking price) then I can just pass on it. I am getting excited about checking it out this Friday! Thanks to all for reaching out...it is really helpful as a newbie to get some good feedback!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
2008 Safari Sport

Our 2008 Safari Sport 17 has separate black and grey water tanks. It is narrower than the newer models at @ 85 inches exterior and the floor plan and bath are different. This model is ideal for the two of us. It takes ten minutes max to change the bed into a couch and it 's easy once you form the habit of doing it efficiently. Just give yourself time. Don't assume that because it's an Airstream that the materials and workmanship are beyond reproach. We worked through several issues including slightly leaking seams in the shower pan. We paid about $28k for our's new.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

link to dimensions, features, options, etc...

Here is a good link that describes the model I am looking at. It lists all the standard features, and then the very few additional options that a person could have added on (awning, larger a/c unit I think, convection oven, etc..). Also, it provides the dimensions for the trailer. It definitely has separate grey and black water tanks as Dalemonroe pointed out. Sorry about the link, it wouldn't highlight when I copied it into the reply box to make it a direct link, but just copy and paste it into the address bar if anyone wants to check it out.

Options for Airstream 2008 17 Safari Sport

Besides the leaking shower pan...is there anything else that I should look at more closely that is a known issue with this trailer? The seller has told me that it needs an outside shower valve that will cost about $200, which she offered to have repaired.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

how much does this dent lower value

I looked at the 2008 Safari sport yesterday and everything looked to be in good shape and gently used except when we walked around the trailer and saw this dent in the side. Shown in the first photo... it seems minor to me but I have no idea. The seller said she purchased it from the dealer with the dent, and they offered to fix it but she took it "as is". Another dealership I spoke with today said it costs "thousands" to repair a dent in the side. Is it accurate to say that it cost that much to repair. The dent is not that bad to me, but may decrease the value of the trailer I am assuming. Any thoughts or advice?

Also, all around the seems there was oxidation or corrosion signs (third photo), but someone told me this is common on the older models and is NOT worrisome, and that the dent is more of an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	202492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	202493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	202494  
Old 12-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have a longer trailer and needed to have a dent in that same panel repaired last spring. The dealer is right on. It is expensive to replace the shaped end panel pieces. We needed that one panel on the same side and the upper AND lower panel on the other side. Total came to around $8k or so. So either accept it AS IS and live with it or use it to negotiate your price. Personally I could live with yours. Ours was larger and the other insurance covered it.
Good luck whichever way you go.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The dent doesn't look that bad, and is not on a seam. I'd live with it. The filiform corrosion is fairly common, but can be treated - you should be able to find links with methods others have used to do so. If either bothers you to the extent that it will drive you crazy, then maybe walk away.
It's still a nice little trailer.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the feedback. I could definitely live with the dent and treat the corrosion on the seams. We are trying to decide if that size will work for the two of us. We had a slide-on truck camper and that became very small, especially when it rained out, so I am thinking this one may not be enough. Then I had to stop at the Airstream dealer on the way home from looking at the Sport to check out the new models (19 and 20 footers)! They really are just amazing. Why is it that "newness" is so mesmerizing?! LOL