Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Removing the bed in a 25FB Safari SE

Hello everyone. I recently picked up a brand new leftover '08 25FB Safari SE. I love it, but I don't like the carpet in the bedroom. Carpet is nasty, even if it looks clean. I want to rip it up and put down Pergo flooring in a nice cherry color. Unfortunately the carpet runs under the bed and possibly the wardrobe. I could just cut it around the bed and stuff, but that is half-a$$ing it and I typically avoid that. So, the bed must come out. Of course there is lots of wiring/converter and stuff under there as well, but I can handle that. I guess my question is, has anyone removed their bed/wardrobe in a 25FB and how difficult is it? I've looked around and it looks like it is screwed to the floor beneath it, but does it come out whole or must you completely or partially dissassemble it? Any ideas on the wardrobe? Throw me a bone here
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Sounds more simple than some of the work being done to Airstreams around here. Post pictures! Sorry, all I got is encouragement today.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it is better to not cut the carpet under the bed frame—far easier, but there's another reason. All floors can expand and buckle, so you should run the Pergo with about 3/8" space between it and the bed frame and walls. Then put trim around the frame and walls. The trim will hide the carpet strands that might show. There may be a problem with the storage compartments where you may have to cut the carpet flush, or pull out a piece from inside the compartments and run the Pergo to below the compartments, but on the opposite side leave the space. Make sure if you have to remove the carpet that the space below the bed frame is equal or less than the height of the Pergo. Pergo should have trim for that use as well as a transition piece for the vinyl floor. Whether they make a trim that will bend around the curves, I don't know, but such trim is available. Few people can make perfect cuts, so trim is necessary.

Once you do the bedroom, won't you have to do the whole trailer?—the vinyl will look bad compared to Pergo. Are you sure you want to get into this? Maybe you should go camping a few times and see if replacing the carpet is still a priority.

Here's what we like about the carpet: nicer on our feet when we get out of bed and stuff put on the floor while traveling doesn't slide around. Yeh, the color is blah, but most of the time when I'm in the bedroom I'm asleep.

Enjoy your new Airstream. It's one of our favorite floorplans and the 25' FB was our choice too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'll definitely post photos when I tackle this job.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Gene, thanks for the reply. Your way is most likely easier, but I'm not sure I'd be happy. I think the Pergo will look pretty good with the vinyl--the trailer needs a little contrasting colors I think. If I'm wrong I could just do the whole trailer I suppose. I'm just not a fan of carpet. It does feel good on bare feet and stuff, but thats about it.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think you'll have to decide before you start whether you're going to do the whole trailer. Normally flooring that looks like long strips (wood, Pergo) goes the long way down a hallway. If you install Pergo in the bedroom, you would have to install it from the bed toward the rear and you wouldn't want to cut it to meet the vinyl, then decide to go all the way down the hall. You can take some pieces and dry fit them from the bed down the hallway and see how it looks. A package of Pergo most likely would go pretty far. You can install on top of the vinyl since it floats, but that may not be the best way. You would have to raise the floor in the bedroom to the vinyl level because it's easier than removing the vinyl—it's installed under the partitions and cabinets. You'll still have the trim and expansion issue wherever you install it.

Note the vinyl can buckle. It seems to be more of a problem in very cold climates. Ours buckled in front of the bathroom cabinet. The fix was to cut it in front of the cabinet to leave a space to expand, glue it and install a piece of quarter round trim at the bottom of the cabinet. It looks fine. Airstream doesn't seem to understand that flooring will expand and buckle so they install the partitions on top of it. They apparently use very little glue—a few spots—under the vinyl and perhaps the glue lets go in subzero temps. Sometimes the buckling flattens out in the summer. So maybe installing the Pergo on top of the vinyl isn't a good idea because this is a recent problem and it's not clear what the cause is—buckling is more likely in hot climates. I suppose you could tack down the vinyl with nails to install the Pergo on it, but whether it would prevent buckling I don't know.

I did a room in Pergo about 10 years ago and my biggest problem was get the joints tight. They'll sell you things to tighten it, but it was a small room and I improvised. I didn't get the joints as tight as I'd like (I like to get it right too) though I doubt anyone but me noticed. I sold the house 2 years later anyway.

I agree the trailer needs contrast. The fake wood and the rest of the interior are super bland and only saved by the aluminum interior. When I installed a cabinet on the guacho sofa, no wood could match anything in the trailer. Yellow pine was the closest I could come. The partition surface which looks like contact paper is what drives me crazy and makes the trailer look cheap. I guess it's an example of cost cutting at the factory. I keep thinking about painting it.

Gene
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Please keep us posted on your decision and the outcome. We have an '05 25FB. I have never been particularly fond of the bedroom carpet either.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
You'll enjoy the 25FB. Please post pics of the floor when you are done. I would love to be rid of both the carpet and vinyl and to have the entire trailer done in Pergo.

I agree with Gene about the look of the fake wood, especially in an Airstream. What stopped me from buying the classic with real wood was that I wanted the interior aluminum skin.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
We have the same trailer, with the Stratos enterior. I agree with Gene's assessment of considering doing the whole trailer at one time. I've done a couple of rooms at home in Pergo, and I think you're going to encounter some interesting situations with the Airstream installation. We like the carpet in the bedroom, as we don't wear shoes in the Airstream or at home. I really don't like the vinyl pattern for the '08 models, but we have covered most of it with throw rugs and runners.

One thing to consider about the Pergo is the additional weight you're adding to the trailer. I know it won't take much, but it is not lightweight. I would purchase a box and lay it down the hallway first, just to get an idea of how it will look.

Keep us posted.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My husband and I have installed Pergo or Pergo-like flooring several times.
It is nearly impossible to get it tight when you are in a close space. A trailer is just one big close space unless it has been gutted! Think about the cuts you will have to make for all the curves.

Plus, what do you do about the thickness?
Remove everything so you can run it under? Then you will have to modify everything for the new height.
Butt it up against things? How do you cover up the gaps?
What do you do at the point where it meets a lower floor material? Two fake wood products clashing with each other is another issue.

Then there is the added weight. The stuff weighs a ton.

I have seen a lot of pics of retro-fit strip flooring jobs that are not quite done. The poster usually says something about how good it will look once he figures out how to finish up all the gaps, etc...

I do agree, carpet is not the best floor covering for a trailer. I've been there and it was awful.
I like the function of the sheet vinyl in my CCD. I love good form but not at the expense of function.

Maybe Airstream runs the vinyl wall to wall in the Safaris like they do in the CCDs, and then they cover it with carpet?

We are avid do-it-yourselfers, have built 5 homes with tons of sweat equity and hubby is a commercial contractor. We have personal and professional construction experience.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Same thing on other end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a brand new leftover '08 25FB Safari SE. I love it, but I don't like the carpet in the bedroom. Carpet is nasty, even if it looks clean. I want to rip it up and put down Pergo flooring in a nice cherry color. Unfortunately the carpet runs under the bed and possibly the wardrobe. I could just cut it around the bed and stuff, but that is half-a$$ing it and I typically avoid that. So, the bed must come out. Of course there is lots of wiring/converter and stuff under there as well, but I can handle that. I guess my question is, has anyone removed their bed/wardrobe in a 25FB and how difficult is it? I've looked around and it looks like it is screwed to the floor beneath it, but does it come out whole or must you completely or partially dissassemble it? Any ideas on the wardrobe? Throw me a bone here
Hi, my trailer is the rear queen, but also has carpet in the bedroom only. I have removed and reinstalled the bed top/plywood and you would vertually need to take the bed out piece by piece. I'm not real fond of the carpet, but I can live with it until it becomes un-cleanable. Then I will replace it. Whether I replace it with a better carpet or something else, we have not decided yet. I would not cut around the bed; Do it right and you will be much happier. My other thought is that I don't think I want carpet in the storage area/compartment. I'm thinking like, rubber mat or something so things don't slide around too much. Let us know what you do and please post pictures.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Past the point of no return

Well, I successfully removed the bed and wardrobe in my brand new AS. I was a little hesitant to start taking a brand new trailer apart, but I really do hate carpet, so I said heck with it, and broke the bedroom down to parade rest I've completely removed the carpet and padding, tomorrow I will pull up all the staples, sweep and vaccuum real good and head to Lowes for some Pergo. I am pleased to report that if you know which end of a screwdriver to use, you should be able to do what I did. I should note though that I completely disconnected the batteries, and removed shore power, so nothing in the AS is energized. The bed is held down by 7 or 8 screws, 6 of which go into the floor. Then you just unscrew the wiring bits from the frame, and pull out the converter and the bed will come out as one piece. I took the matress in my house, but I have the frame and wardrobe in the galley hallway. Its tight, but it fits and I can get by. If you are "big boned" though, you might have to break the frame down to get it out of the AS so you can get to the bedroom.

Anyway, here are some photos

Bed frame with top plywood removed

Screw locations that secure bed frame to floor

Wiring bits

Bed frame and wardrobe removed

Carpet and padding removed

Mysterious hole in floor??
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Wonder what the mystery hole is.

Why not use cork the vintage people swear by that? I think it has great properties and comes in a lot of patterns. I think it would be a great contrast, perhaps easier to install and lighter.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Wheel Interested beat me to it....cork! We installed it in one of our trailers (and a bedroom in our house), and we love it. It is quiet (important with a big dog patrolling) and very warm underfoot. Also, it is easier to cut than Pergo (we installed Pergo throughout our house, except for the one bedroom). The Pergo chipped a bit at the cut mark, but cork is very forgiving, so forgiving, in fact, that it didn't need to be trimmed out in the trailer. We were very very careful about cutting around curves, and cork stands up well to curves.

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the dismantling. It's pretty adventurous to take on such a project in a brand new trailer. You'll know her very intimately now! Thanks for the pics, and I'm looking forward to your "reveal" shots. I too despise carpet! I don't blame you! The first night we spent in our house we couldn't take the thought of the old carpet, so we decided to let 'er rip and tore it out. Eeewww! We were covered in "flakes 'o' skin"! It was so disgusting! And the previous owners let their babies crawl on it....my skin was crawling!

Good luck with the project! Keep us updated.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hmm, I'll have to investigate this cork idea I think. I hope you can get darker shades, as I'm trying to give the trailer a little more contrasting colors than it has now.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Plywood.

Hi, in your pictures, as best as I can see, your bed frame looks like it is made out of plywood. On my 2005 Safari, all of my cabinets and bed frame are made out of plywood. Some forum members state that their 2006 & 2007 model year, Safari's cabinets and bed frames are made out of MDF, Press board, or ********. Is it possible that Airstream went cheap on wood for a few years and came back?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Cork sounds like a great idea!
It should be a nice contrast to the existing floor as it is not linear.
We have a darker shade at our office.
It is also warmer and softer than Pergo. Great for a bedroom.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Robert, I believe most of it is made from the coated plywood. I will verify for sure tomorrow and report back.

Also, Ive done some research. I will be using cork tiles that you glue down, probably from Globus Cork, in the cherry shade. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Brian
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cork sounds good. That will solve the problem of fitting Pergo and whether to install it in the rest of the trailer—if you do it'll be easier to do than long strips of Pergo.

Post photos please. I have been thinking about changing the floor in our kitchen at home with something more forgiving than the tile. Rubber tiles are available and easy on your feet, but hard to find. When we bought our house, there was no carpet—tile, concrete (basement, now tiled) and some maple laminate. We had the stairs carpeted and have lots of small rugs. I still like the carpet in the Safari bedroom, but cork sounds good too.

Gene
Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, in your pictures, as best as I can see, your bed frame looks like it is made out of plywood. On my 2005 Safari, all of my cabinets and bed frame are made out of plywood. Some forum members state that their 2006 & 2007 model year, Safari's cabinets and bed frames are made out of MDF, Press board, or ********. Is it possible that Airstream went cheap on wood for a few years and came back?
I just went out and checked. Multiple areas indicate my cabinets & bed are in plywood. I remember John Irwin at one time actually giving the name of the lighter weight ply they use. Regular ply & MDF are heavy.

Nice project Airstream01! We custom ordered our '06 FB in July '05 before dealers knew what a hit it would be. Since it involved the factory taking one less step, they didn't impose the $500 change order fee when we requested linoleum throughout and no carpet in the bed area.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote