Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That looks sharp. You are doing a great job.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
You are doing a beautiful job!
From your photos it appears that there is no space for expansion where the floor meets the wall. I am curious if this is the case or just an illusion. I have installed a few floors in Airstreams this summer and have had a few problems with not leaving enough space for the floor material to expand. What does the manufacture of you product suggest?
The reason I ask is because I would like to install cork in my trailer and I really like what you have done. NICE WORK, you will never regret doing it right and it sure looks like you did.

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I left little to no room for expansion. However, if I see any issues, the beauty of cork is it is easily trimmable with only a razor blade. It is also glued to the floor so I dont know how much it will actually expand. The manufacturer didn't mention anything about expansion.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Thank you for replying. As I said before Its Beautiful. I will have to look into this more because I am very interested. Thanks Brad

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Done!

Finally. Got the bed back in, closet back in, electrical back in, and toilet back in. I am very pleased with the results. The floor is soft on your feet, warm to the touch and gives the coach even more of a "high end" feel. I love it. As long as it doesn't come apart on me I think it will look spectacular for a very long time. Time will tell, I suppose

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Beautiful work! I especially like that you gave the TP an artful fold before taking pictures

I don't care for the carpet in our Airstream either but don't think DH and I have the artistic ability you do to replace it ourselves.

Thank you for sharing your fine remodel!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Wow, that is beautiful flooring. Wish I had the time and talent to do ours. Maybe I could hire someone to get it done someday.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You know I was skeptical at first, but it looks great. You've made my carpet look terrible. I'll have to avert my eyes whenever I'm in the bedroom. When we get back home, you'll have to do my floor too!

What's your next project?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Skeptical is good. I'm still wondering how it will hold up after a few thousand miles of towing, expansion in the heat, etc. Sure it looks amazing now, and if it was in a house, i would not be worried, but you never kow what will happen on the road.

I'll be sure to report any issues (if any) that rear their head.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Job well done

Congratulations! It looks fabulous! Your trailer has an even more upscale look...if that's possible in an Airstream. ;-)

Our vinyl flooring has given us a lot of aggravation (It buckles in the springtime and flattens by the end of summer.) This glue-down cork may to the trick.

Thanks for your photo-diary of your adventure in flooring.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
This looks Great Airstream01.

I will, like Gene, never again look at the carpet in our unit with anything but disdain. I am not keen on the fake basket weave lino of our non-carpet floors either but the thought of pulling up all the cabinetry to install a new floor throughout leaves me thinking I can live with it...

I will be very interested in how you find your new floor holds up to the temperature changes & movement. I would think that its inherent flexibility will allow from a fair bit of movement with out too much trouble.

Nice work & thanks for taking the trouble to post your work in progress.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #72
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
We're doing exactly the same to an 07 Safari SEFB right now, only our client specified 2 beds, and a mattress system that allows the 2 beds to join in the middle, essentially converting the entire front bedroom to a huge bed for his children. We relocated all the electrics to the curb side, and cut the lower part of the wardrobe. The hanging section is still there, hovering above the lower part of the curbside bed/lounge. We will be installing a second TV and music system, so the children can have their own little area while the grown ups can converge in the rear of the trailer.
The same trailer also receives stainless custom counter tops in teh galley, a new dining table, and louvered cabinet and bathroom doors for more of an "Island" type look. It will all be finished off with drapes insead of accordion style dividers, and some selective use of carved moldings.
Should be an interesting combination of modern SE interior and Island type accents.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #73
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
All this is making me want to do more things to our Safari, but I'm hoping to get over it. The thing I don't like most is the fake wood partitions. I have no good idea what to do about that. I think about painting them, but don't think I should get myself into that mess—it means the cabinets, trim, walls, all with different surfaces and will the paint stick? There must be a way to stop thinking about it. Maybe gin will help.

Gene
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #74
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
All this is making me want to do more things to our Safari, but I'm hoping to get over it. The thing I don't like most is the fake wood partitions. I have no good idea what to do about that. I think about painting them, but don't think I should get myself into that mess—it means the cabinets, trim, walls, all with different surfaces and will the paint stick? There must be a way to stop thinking about it. Maybe gin will help.

Gene
While Gin is a wonderful remedy for Aluminitis, there's alternative options...
..although not as fun as some Sapphire that's morphed into a perfect Martini..
I have seen some interesting coverings lately, Formica type. Very thin, and with today's adhesives, could make a great change of pace for the walls in an Airstream. I would recommend removing the walls for the procedure, but it is possible to do it while they are in place.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #75
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
hi all one of the things i 'hate' about this site is all of the wonderful remodel ideas and pix. i walk into my 04 classic we bought used and i want to do soooo much. it sometimes feels like a tacky motel room. (know what i mean?)
love the cork flooring idea and would do the entire floor in it. get rid of carpet forever !!!!
once again thanks to all of you who shared for the great ideas.
love this site!!!!!! pat
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #76
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Something like some formica might work—do some panels for accent pieces. But, Uwe, I have promised myself not to remove any partitions and if I start doing so, my wife has permission to have me locked up for my own protection.

Transplant, I do like the description: "tacky motel room". It does capture the essence of some of the decorating.

Gene
Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
At least the Airstream interior designers spurned the Blue-Hair floral brocades & colonial style wrought iron fittings as embraced by some RV manufacturers...

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
hi all one of the things i 'hate' about this site is all of the wonderful remodel ideas and pix. i walk into my 04 classic we bought used and i want to do soooo much. it sometimes feels like a tacky motel room. (know what i mean?)
love the cork flooring idea and would do the entire floor in it. get rid of carpet forever !!!!
once again thanks to all of you who shared for the great ideas.
love this site!!!!!! pat
The tacky motel room decor typical of many older 'Streams is why I HAD to go with a newer model. I just cant deal with grandma's styling anymore

I may end up doing the entire floor in the cork, however if I did, I would NOT remove the kitchen counters, stove, etc as the cork is very easily trimmable and you can get tight tolerances with the cabinets and such. I went under the bed and such in the bedroom only to remove all the carpet, and because when you lift the bed or open the garage, you can see the flooring so that was important to me.

Right now though, I'm very happy with the flooring. I actually like the faux parket pattern of the linoleum, and as long as it wears well, I will probably keep it for a few years. I also want to see how the cork holds up to temp changes and towing vibrations before I do anything further.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
My biggest remodel I have been putting pencil and paper to is the toilet room in our 07' Safari 27' FB. I want to put an Aria classic toilet in there that is much more comfortable than the SeaLand or Thetford that comes with them. If I do this the floor will be changed as well.

Nice work! Airstream01
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
This is an excellent thread! Thanks for sharing this great and doable project!

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote