Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
cardiff , California
Pricing on a new Safari

We're about to buy a 08 safari 25 - and want some advice. We have an suv that will pull 7,700 lbs, so it should work - but any watchouts? How much is milage reduced in your experience? Any good storage places in north county san diego? What do you think constitutes a good deal on the purchase of the trailer - it lists for $60K, and we;re getting it for $50K. Thanks for this and any other info we should be aware of!!!!
alumanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Typically 19% off retail is the norm. Some do better, some worse, but 19% on average is typical, so in your case, you may be high by a few thousand.

If you are buying a 25', the GVWR will be 7300lbs loaded. With a 7700lb tow rating, that leaves 400lbs for cargo, passengers and fuel in the tow vehicle. Fuel alone could take more than 20% of that remaining 400lbs of written capacity. Even if you don't full load the RV, and you hit say 6900lbs, taking that rig up any mountians or hills will most likely be a white knuckle exp IMHO.

I noticed by your profile you have a Porsche. If that is the tow vehicle your are referring, I would suggest in the strongest possible terms, that you reconsider that decision. Regardless of what the ratings say, about 23' is the largest I'd go. There is just so much more to towing safely than horsepower. Wheelbase is one of them and as an owner of a 25', which is the start of the widebody Airstreams, I can tell you these are serious contenders for nearly any proper tow vehicle.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
cardiff , California
Good advice

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Will definately take into consideration - and not make a foolish decision.
alumanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Welcome to the forums. If you have been reading here on these subjects, then you recognize that you are really pushing the upper limits of trailer wt and length for your tow vehicle. Be sure to allocate $$ for a premium hitch. The selling price question is something you need to test with other sellers. Don't be afraid to talk with sellers in Arizona and Northern Ca and Oregon. Given the state of the economy, this could be a great time to be buying. Suggest a price of at least 25% below sticker. There are several storage places we have used in your general area. PM me if you want more info.

Enjoy your new Airstream and welcome to the forums.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
On the mileage question, 10-12 mpg is common when towing.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would also suggest reading some of these threads below to gain more knowledge on what to look for on a new unit:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-41668.html

The second link has links going back to the 2004 model year.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Welcome,

This could be a good time to buy. Prices should reflect a buyer's market, thus I agree with the other posters, considering the 19% average was based on past market conditions, I beleive the 25% minimum discount is solid and can be achieved. The 09's are now here, so an 08 is now last years model. With gas prices as they are, Airstream prices may not fall as fast as other motorized RVs, especially since the aluminum prices are rising.

time
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Still Looking?

Alumanewbie -

I don't know if you are still looking or not. If you are, and price is your main concern you may want to take a look at Randall Noe Airstream in Rockwall, TX. I understand the dealership is changing ownership. They claim that they plan to continue selling Airstreams but they are trying to reduce their existing inventory as much as they possibly can for the transfer of ownership.

Last week when I was there, they had three 2008 25FB units in stock. Equipment and list price was the same on all three but they had two different interior color schemes. They have them listed on their web-site for $46K. I am pretty sure that is a very good price. I don't know if the savings would be totally eroded by a trip from your part of the world to Rockwall though...

I know that when I was looking, Colonial Airstream was able to offer me a better price but at the end of the day, after figuring transportation up there and back, I would be at break-even. The problem was that even though the dollars were equal, I figured it would take at least a week to get there and back without a big rush. My time off is pretty important to me, so in the end I decided to buy locally.

Good luck.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
As a matter of fact, While over at C & G Trailer Service getting my 25 Safari repaired last week, talking to Rod, the owner, mentioned that the 2009's are going up in price about 8%.

Go figure? But Time's right, It's not the trailer but the material to make it that cost more.

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Being as the issue of pricing has been invoked, I have been offered a new 2008 Safari Sport 22 with retail price of $38,549 for a sales price of $32,998. While I don't want to sound too greedy, is this a good price?

Thanks.
Zenflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenflyr View Post
Being as the issue of pricing has been invoked, I have been offered a new 2008 Safari Sport 22 with retail price of $38,549 for a sales price of $32,998. While I don't want to sound too greedy, is this a good price? Thanks.
As mentioned below, start with an offer at 25% and work up to around 15-19%... the '09's are out & you're off the bat "last years model". RV sales are slowing big time & they're only coming down 6K.

Make sure to carry a drool cloth when negotiating... don't want to tip them off as to the aluminus affliction. It's a dead give-away.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
As a matter of fact, While over at C & G Trailer Service getting my 25 Safari repaired last week, talking to Rod, the owner, mentioned that the 2009's are going up in price about 8%.

Go figure? But Time's right, It's not the trailer but the material to make it that cost more.

Safari-Rick
I am not sure about the exact figure of price increase on the 2009's but looking at prices of 2009's on Colonials site and a few others, 8% seems shy of what I compared. I spected out two 28 foot Safari SE's (2009 is of course the Silver Cloud, replaceing the SE) and find the increase to be even more than 8%. The 2009 was just over $10,000 dollars higher than the same 2008 equiped exactly the same. I see about the same kind of price increases on other 2009 models as well. If the are pricing their intire line this way it will be the biggest price increases I have seen in many years. But the 2009's I can find are running on average about 10,000 + or - more than the same models last years. HOLY ****.....They may price me right out of the market without even considering the price of fuel.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Newbie,

Your TV seems to not be able to tow a 25' safely. Check payload issues as well as what the TV's manual says about how much weight it can tow. Consider what you are carrying in your TV—that as well as tongue wt. of the trailer goes against TV payload. Does your TV have a weight distributing hitch? There's a lot on the Forum about these issues and for a while it's quite confusing. Some salesman will lie to your face about what your vehicle can tow—we had that happen to us and walked away and went elsewhere.

I'm sure there are good deals on price of both trailer and bigger capacity trucks.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
As mentioned below, start with an offer at 25% and work up to around 15-19%... the '09's are out & you're off the bat "last years model". RV sales are slowing big time & they're only coming down 6K.

Make sure to carry a drool cloth when negotiating... don't want to tip them off as to the aluminus affliction. It's a dead give-away.
Well, I went in to the dealer, Sky River RV in Paso Robles, CA, and lo and behold, they didn't honor the deal they had promised me. Instead, they packed the contract with nearly $1000 in extra worthless add-ons and when I pointed out that we had a deal at a certain price plus tax and license, only, the sales manger rudely treats me like an ingrate and next thing you know, they are offering me my deposit back that I had made over
the phone when I thought I was sealing the deal.

Next time I'll follow your advice and start out at 25% off. If the dealers are going to try to screw me on the back end, I might as well try to get as much taken off the front end as possible.
Zenflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenflyr View Post
...they didn't honor the deal they had promised me...
that SINKS zenflyr...

ya might wanna expand your dealer circle when searching this go round...

airstreamofarkansas keeps a healthy inventory, sells nationwide and will deliver IF ya ask....

my understanding is they cannot post 'sale' prices nationally BUT will deal on the phone or online.

gene and mike are rock solid, honest to a fault and very competitive with pricing...

and they will NOT weasel out of a deal. the price u agree to IS the price period.

of course they do go out of their way to make the buying experience fun/friendly and relaxing too!

check 'em out, u won't be disappointed...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Airstream of Arkansas have earned their reputation, Zenflyr. And it is solid.

Fortunately, Sky River (whazzat, some kind of california incense?), has presented you with the sum total of their character. Believe in it and go elsewhere. Let them know why, in this "robust" RV market, they've made a bad business decision.

Geeze, pulling SOB stuff on Airstreamers... schmucks.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumanewbie View Post
We're about to buy a 08 safari 25 - and want some advice. We have an suv that will pull 7,700 lbs, so it should work - but any watchouts? How much is milage reduced in your experience? Any good storage places in north county san diego? What do you think constitutes a good deal on the purchase of the trailer - it lists for $60K, and we;re getting it for $50K. Thanks for this and any other info we should be aware of!!!!
Newbie, I am experiencing my first long trip towing anything {about 6000 miles round trip}and all I can say is I have learned that you need enough truck!! We've been alot of miles already and they have been through high montains and long hot interstates. Consider not only the tow capacity but the strength of the engine, suspension and brakes as well as the tranny. pulling our 27'er up big inclines I can see how the trans temp is affected and I'm real glad I have a beast of a truck. The fuel mileage could be better but I feel very secure in how my truck handles my trailer in all aspects. I would suggest not coming up short in the truck department. Good luck.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Try Toscano RV in Los Banos

When we were shopping for new trailers, Dave at Toscano RV in Los Banos offered us a quite a bit lower price than several others in California......they will fax you their quote......ipj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
When we were shopping for new trailers, Dave at Toscano RV in Los Banos offered us a quite a bit lower price than several others in California......they will fax you their quote......ipj
I can 2nd what SteSpot said about Dave at Toscano. I even drive 75 miles extra for service there. LOTS of inventory also.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I think we got around 15% from our dealer - they have MORE than made up the difference between 15% and 19% with OUTSTANDING customer service - we recommend them to anyone in Ohio or the surrounding states.
They are a 2.5 hour drive from us, but we gladly make the trip for the great service.

Part of the difference between list and what you pay is a reserve that the dealer keeps for warranty work in addition to his profit margin.

So, if you buy new from a dealer make SURE you get EVERYTHING taken care of within the warranty period - don't be bashful about having them fix what you may think to be minor or silly items (loose or missing rivets, marred surfaces, ill-fitting items, etc.

Also, spend at least two hours with your dealer on delivery day going over everything there is to know about your new baby - all systems, towing, hook-ups, unhooking, opertion of ALL appliances, winterizing, etc. If possible, video-tape this process for later reference.

Best of luck to you!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote