Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Heck, I would definately do a little backyard camping there...your place is beautiful! Perfect for a 'break it in' weekend...invite the neighbors to a little 'trailer-warming' party to start the evening off, but remember - 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner & and 2 for bed! I guess your results may vary if there are kids in the equation. Oh well, you could always send them off for their own slumber party ~ enjoy!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Congratualtions, love that trailer port. We are thinking of getting something to cover our trailer when it arrives. I will have to show my husband the pictures!

Now we will need some pictures of that very clean interior!

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Brian & Donna:

Congrats on the new silver escape pod. We bought (er... financed) the same and it was parked for several days in front of our bungalow in Chicago (wish we had that covered port - very nice). Had the awning out doing some initial set-up and you would not believe how many total strangers will just drop by out of curiousity. Our iron worker neighbor dropped in after walking steel with a couple cold ones for the royal tour (which led to more cold ones, 2 hands of euchre, etc). Not supposed to park a trailer on the street in Windy City so got a little concerned when the squad car pulled up with 2 of Chicago's finest (on an angle facing the wrong direction like they do in hostage crisis) - turns out one of the officers had an Argosy and wanted a tour - funny to see two guys in bullet proof vests sitting in zip dee chairs under our awning answering radio calls and waxing prophetic about airstreams.

Your new trailer is and will be a huge friend magnet - get out and enjoy some driveway camping and cheers to you both on your purchase!!!

VH2Go
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Congratulations !! The new trailer and it's own home "port." Get it ready and plan an escape soon. Even if it is only an escape from the phone. If I can't be found, I am usually hiding in the trailer. Happy Camping...
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Hey Guys, looks great!
Love your hanger...
The combo appears to be setup nice and level also, I am sure it towed nice!

Now break out the bubbly and enjoy!

Bill
Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Thanks everybody for taking the time to pump me up even higher than I am now!! For your info the Air'hanger{I love that name!!} was a great bargain. It's 40ft long, 20ft wide and 14 ft high. I ordered it certified which means it has more supports to handle snow load and it was $4500 installed. It is anchored into the cement pad. They come in 10 different colors and I ordered it from a company called TNT garages in So. Carolina. Gave a $500 deposit and paid the rest upon completion. They were great to deal with and it took only 6 hours to install and they were gone. The prices may be a bit higher as I had this done 5 years ago. Dennis I think the color combo is cool too, thanx. Bill yes it is nice and level and it towed great! Diane spend the money on Air'hanger. It's great protection and it will give your husband a great place to wash and polish. And yes everybody there is some driveway camping in our future. Hey 2air a forum rally in little Rhody sounds great!!
Thanks again all
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
That is a good price on the Air'hanger. It might be tough to fit in here in NJ, we have about a acre, but it is all fenced in. We currently have a big gate, and park the trailer behind the fence. Perhaps one not so wide would work. But we also have a place in Maine, 60 acres on a pond, and that is where we might retire. An Air'hanger would be prefect there!

Diane
Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
They come in all different sizes and prices. They bring it in pieces and erect it on your property so limited space is no prob. Once you move to Maine you can have them take it down and re-erect it in Maine!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian, your "garage" certainly does the job. Plenty of room on each side to work, polish and back in crooked. Reminds me I have to get a cover for ours and not turn on the furnace unless I want a really big fire. We looked for a silver Tundra to match, but the blue one was available. Still, any truck color is improved by the Airstream.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We're jealous of the Air-port. Our zoning laws won't let us keep our baby here, even though we have over an acre property.We remember well the feeling of haveing that brand new baby at home - we agree with the folks who have mentioned driveway camping - go fer it!!!Best of luck and refer here often for LOTS of answers to your questions and for some really good advice.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Steve & Susan I hate zoning laws. The cool thing about the port is I didn't even get a building permit. Had the whole thing up in 6 hrs and they were gone. By the time the neighbors got home it was done. It's always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Truthfully I'm on a cul de sac with a few neighbors and unbuildable land behind me so not a big deal in my town.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Pad Camp'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Sounds like a little yard-camping is in order to me!!! Who says you gotta go anywhere? Whatcha doing tonight? Don't laugh...we've done it!

Congratulations!!!

Shari
We all are closet "pad campers". Really though it's not a bad idea to

camp at home several times before hitting the road, not only that it's

REAL FUN!!!

Attached Images
File Type: gif THE NEW AIRSTREAM.gif (32.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 11-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
First wash today!!

Gave our new baby her first bath and here's what I found. I was very surprised how dirty the roof was. It had a couple of screws up there and alot of black rubber spots all over that I had to knock off with my finger nail. Not a big deal except there were about 100 of them. Also there was alot of metal shavings up there. It was hard to wash while there was metal shavings everywhere, I didn't want to scratch anything. I'm a little surprised it could leave the factory like that and that the dealer didn't clean it better. The overall interior and exterior clean by the dealer were not very good at all. I think it got a rinse and that's about it. The rest of the wash went great and she looks perfect. I went inside to look for leaks once I was done and I found 2 . Both leaks were small and at the top of two different windows. It's not a big deal as I'm sure it's easily fixed I'm just a little surprised it could get out of the factory this way. I thought they did a water leak test after construction was done???? Well with the stuff on the roof and the leaks it kind of indicates otherwise . I expect to have some things go wrong so I'm not to disappointed and I know it will get fixed and be fine it's just a bit of a bummer. She does really good all cleaned
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #34
_

. , .
hi ri'

ain't she pretty after a bath

the roof top metal shavings are a well known 'feature'...

IF we climb a ladder and look...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...eam-32221.html

not to mention the several pounds of shavings and screws left inside under things...

mine (rooftop shavings) were so embedded in the sikaflex it took several washings to remove them...

the hurricane/water test is during production, not after production.

so it doesn't really find all of the water gaps...

plus the sealants all contract over weeks/months of time, and the testing is done just a day or 2 after it's slopped on...

IF you really want to check for leaks have a pressurized leak test done next spring...

that nifty shelter should keep water at bay till then.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Sounds Familiar !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Gave our new baby her first bath and here's what I found. I was very surprised how dirty the roof was. It had a couple of screws up there and alot of black rubber spots all over that I had to knock off with my finger nail. Not a big deal except there were about 100 of them. Also there was alot of metal shavings up there. It was hard to wash while there was metal shavings everywhere, I didn't want to scratch anything. I'm a little surprised it could leave the factory like that and that the dealer didn't clean it better. The overall interior and exterior clean by the dealer were not very good at all. I think it got a rinse and that's about it. The rest of the wash went great and she looks perfect. I went inside to look for leaks once I was done and I found 2 . Both leaks were small and at the top of two different windows. It's not a big deal as I'm sure it's easily fixed I'm just a little surprised it could get out of the factory this way. I thought they did a water leak test after construction was done???? Well with the stuff on the roof and the leaks it kind of indicates otherwise . I expect to have some things go wrong so I'm not to disappointed and I know it will get fixed and be fine it's just a bit of a bummer. She does really good all cleaned

We didn't have shavings, plenty of dirt, but no stray metal.

This is one concern I found while.."up on the roof"

A lot of us have gone thru the "real world" dealer experience........

mine folded a year after purchase, don't worry, your Airstream

Enthusiasm will carry the day

Keep post'n......Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	48700   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 012.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	48701  

Old 11-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi ri'

ain't she pretty after a bath

the roof top metal shavings are a well known 'feature'...

IF we climb a ladder and look...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...eam-32221.html

not to mention the several pounds of shavings and screws left inside under things...

mine (rooftop shavings) were so embedded in the sikaflex it took several washings to remove them...

the hurricane/water test is during production, not after production.

so it doesn't really find all of the water gaps...

plus the sealants all contract over weeks/months of time, and the testing is done just a day or 2 after it's slopped on...

IF you really want to check for leaks have a pressurized leak test done next spring...

that nifty shelter should keep water at bay till then.

cheers
2air'
Yea I think it'll take another wash or two to get it all off. I do remember seeing the test was early in the process. I'm not too worried I know we'll get it taken care of. As you said I'm glad I have the nifty shelter. She does look great freshly cleaned!!!! It was a VERY enjoyable afternoon. I kept looking at her and saying to myself "I can't believe we have an Airstream!!"
Next weekend a polish job...I can't wait.....
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brain and Donna, bummer about the shavings, etc. I only found several wood shavings in the bathroom, but everything else was fine. When I finally get up to the roof, I'll be looking for metal shavings. Thanks for the tip. So far, we have none of the complaints I see on many postings. Glad to read nothing about cutting yourself. Metal shavings are nasty, especially if they get imbedded like splinters.

We're going through the same "I can't believe we have an Airstream!!" This whole thing seems unreal.

Where we live, cleaning vehicles is often lost effort, but we will. I'm unsure of how to polish, whether something as mundane as Turtle Wax will do. Since the exterior is clear coat, I'm guessing we can polish with the usual swirling action and not worry about the "grain" of the aluminum.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #38
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
...I'm unsure of how to polish, whether something as mundane as Turtle Wax will do. Since the exterior is clear coat, I'm guessing we can polish with the usual swirling action and not worry about the "grain" of the aluminum...Gene
IF you like t-wax for cars, sure use it on the stream...

it IS best to follow the grain pattern with long straight strokes...

and buff off the haze in the same direction or at 90 degrees...

swirling action will show markings from all angles as light reflex from the swirls...

that's why they are called swirl marks

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I am wondering now if my dealer will do a better job of cleaning up the AS. The included dealer prep, but at no charge, so I wonder if the no charge version includes cleaning. I hope so, because I would not want all those metal pieces in my yard. I would be afraid they could hurt my dogs paws.

I will not get mine for about another month, I will let you know.

It is funny to think you are looking forward to polishing the AS. Is it recommended that a new AS be polished or waxed? If so, my husband better get ready, as I think that will be HIS job! I doubt that he will be as happy about that job as you are though.

Diane
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Brain and Donna, bummer about the shavings, etc. I only found several wood shavings in the bathroom, but everything else was fine. When I finally get up to the roof, I'll be looking for metal shavings. Thanks for the tip. So far, we have none of the complaints I see on many postings. Glad to read nothing about cutting yourself. Metal shavings are nasty, especially if they get imbedded like splinters.

We're going through the same "I can't believe we have an Airstream!!" This whole thing seems unreal.

Where we live, cleaning vehicles is often lost effort, but we will. I'm unsure of how to polish, whether something as mundane as Turtle Wax will do. Since the exterior is clear coat, I'm guessing we can polish with the usual swirling action and not worry about the "grain" of the aluminum.

Gene
That feeling is cool isn't it. I think I'll feel it for a long time!! I think you'll find some shavings up there when you do make it up to the roof but it won't be too bad. As long as you know they're up there you won't do any damage. Diane I think it's a good idea to polish it right in the beginning. It'll look great and be protected which is a great place to start. Get one of these Air hangers and your husband can wash and polish in any weather!!
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD