Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Our Comfy Remodeled 2008 Airstream 27 FB Safari SE

About a year ago, my husband and I decided that our 2008 Airstream Safari SE 27 FB was uncomfortable in many ways. The dinette was not where we wanted to watch TV, work on the computer or read a book. The bedroom was not easy to get dressed in, as we are both tall people. We looked at new Airstreams and we discovered that a new 30' Airstream Classic would not fit in our heated garage, so we decided to remodel our 2008 Airstream which fit perfectly in the garage. We love the size of the 27 FB and she is in excellent condition, but the living space is just not comfortable. We followed other Forum members' leads and set out to make our Airstream just what we wanted.

Our plan for the living area:
1. Dinette table to be smaller to accommodate Lambright wall hugger recliner
2. Existing sofa shortened so that a cabinet could be built under TV
3. Countertops and table to be Corian
4. New faucet
5. New Shaw LVP flooring throughout
6. Cushions recovered in ultra leather from Bradd and Hall to match recliner

Bedroom:
1. Queen bed converted to twin beds
2. Under bed storage
3. Floor to ceiling storage at end of curb side bed
4. Short cabinet at end of street side bed
5. Night stand with Corian top w/electrical outlet, two drawers, and a dog crate at base which extends under head of twin bed.

Bathroom:
1. Replace countertop with Corian top with molded sink
2. New faucet
3. New ceramic chair-height toilet

Outside:
1. All plastic covers replaced with Airstream stainless steel
2. New self-adjusting/self-lubricating brakes
3. New 16" Michelin tires and wheels (these are on the newer Airstreams)

Our Comfy Airstream:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6nZnaH4IQg+Umobeg7hYvA.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	322033   Click image for larger version

Name:	NSoYOGvPQFu1RAA%T2ql6w.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	322034  

Name:	NKousdaGR8Gq6KEz6VSaMQ.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	322035   Click image for larger version

Name:	FjaZMfb%Q12q+DdkayWQuA.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	322036  

Name:	dSpprhmCRxivKHbm49PtmA.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	322037   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8ab0.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	322038  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8c1a.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	322039   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EBMV8naR6+9vcF9vLJbwQ.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	322040  

Name:	PVz22Z8bRhSJRFNE1EfPdQ.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	322041   Click image for larger version

Name:	gGxczm0MTMOoFUD45gd2fg.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	322042  

DBSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
Congratulations! You did a beautiful job on your retrofit. Elegant and seems quite functional! Did you have any challenges upgrading to the 16" wheels and newer/larger tires? Did everything fit properly or did you need to do some modifications? Mike
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Our Comfy Remodeled 2008 Airstream 27 FB Safari SE

Wonderful! You did the piano lid table! Isn’t it great?!

Happy camping!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Wonderful! You did the piano lid table! Isn’t it great?!

Happy camping!!
Thanks so much. Yes, we did the piano lid table, after much thought on other table ideas we saw on the Forum. We love it! Happy camping to you too!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakSD View Post
Congratulations! You did a beautiful job on your retrofit. Elegant and seems quite functional! Did you have any challenges upgrading to the 16" wheels and newer/larger tires? Did everything fit properly or did you need to do some modifications? Mike

Hi Bluestreak
I am DB’s sorry half.

The axle upgrade was completed by Southland RV in Norcross, Ga. It took almost 2 months to complete and wasn’t cheap. They had to order direct from Dexter to get the right axles. They had to align them to track properly. The trailer pulls better and tracks perfectly and the brakes were a huge improvement. However, had I known that the remodeler we choose for the interior was more than capable, I would have let them perform this work. Coachcraft can do any repairs or frame work needed. They specialize in highend diesel pushers and can handle any upgrade from AC, water heaters, electrical needs to complete engine replacement. Truly a one stop all things done shop.

As far as your question about what modification is needed to upgrade to 16 inch wheels and tires, no modification is necessary. You do not even need to change the axles. (I did so just to have the convenience of never lube/never adjust brakes.)
You can order your 16 inch wheels straight from Sendels web site. I found their prices better than anywhere else. They carry the same wheels that are being installed on the new 2018/2019 coaches. You can order all lug nut (solid chrome and new center caps if you don’t won’t to use your old ones). I suggest you order Michelin’s for trailers..... end of worries or so says a ton of folks on the Forum.
If you need further information just send me a message.
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Nice job - we have a 2010 FC, and would love to do exactly what you did. Very nice.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Your remodel

Very Very nice

Can you please PM us.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Beautiful renovation! I love the cabinet by the lounge TV - we have a 2016 FC with the same layout (with front queen), and we haven't yet used the pull-out bed in that lounge, and that end of our seating is not really used.

May I ask where you got your Corian (we're in also in GA)? We're going to switch out our laminate counters.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycatcat View Post
Beautiful renovation! I love the cabinet by the lounge TV - we have a 2016 FC with the same layout (with front queen), and we haven't yet used the pull-out bed in that lounge, and that end of our seating is not really used.

May I ask where you got your Corian (we're in also in GA)? We're going to switch out our laminate counters.
Thank you. We never used the pull-out bed either, and no one ever sat at that end of the sofa. We love the new layout. We picked out the Corian at Home Depot (Corian, Group D, Dune Prima) and Coachcraft by MacDonald in Columbus, GA, had their installer handled the rest.

We live in Blairsville, GA. We met the General Manager of Coachcraft at a camping show in Atlanta.

Debbie
Old 09-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Nice job - we have a 2010 FC, and would love to do exactly what you did. Very nice.
Thank you. I think you will love your remodel as much as we love ours. We just wanted to be more comfortable and as a bonus we were able to get a lot more storage.

Debbie and David Steed
Old 09-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Very Very nice

Can you please PM us.
Sure......check your messages.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Wow! Fantastic job!
I especially like the extra counter instead of a lounge.
I'm not sure my knees would work in that bathroom, but it looks fantastic!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Wow! Fantastic job!
I especially like the extra counter instead of a lounge.
I'm not sure my knees would work in that bathroom, but it looks fantastic!
Thank you. I do love the extra counter space and storage. That last cushion on the lounge was never used! The picture of the bathroom looks smaller than it is. My husband is 6 feet and has had a knee replacement and doesn't complain about it. The toilet is now chair height and is almost set back 3 inches with the stainless steel pocket. It would have been nice to have a bigger bathroom, but we are happy with it now.

Debbie and David
Old 09-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #14

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Looks Great!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Looks Great!
Thank you.

Debbie and David
Old 09-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post

Hi, Andrés
If we can be of any help let us know, PM DBSteed and ask what ever you want, will try to steer you in right Direction as other folks had done for us.
The thing about a remodel is you can put your ideas on paper and make your Airstream what you want it to be.....
David
Old 09-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
San Marcos , California
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteed View Post
Hi Bluestreak
I am DB’s sorry half.

The axle upgrade was completed by Southland RV in Norcross, Ga. It took almost 2 months to complete and wasn’t cheap. They had to order direct from Dexter to get the right axles. They had to align them to track properly. The trailer pulls better and tracks perfectly and the brakes were a huge improvement. However, had I known that the remodeler we choose for the interior was more than capable, I would have let them perform this work. Coachcraft can do any repairs or frame work needed. They specialize in highend diesel pushers and can handle any upgrade from AC, water heaters, electrical needs to complete engine replacement. Truly a one stop all things done shop.

As far as your question about what modification is needed to upgrade to 16 inch wheels and tires, no modification is necessary. You do not even need to change the axles. (I did so just to have the convenience of never lube/never adjust brakes.)
You can order your 16 inch wheels straight from Sendels web site. I found their prices better than anywhere else. They carry the same wheels that are being installed on the new 2018/2019 coaches. You can order all lug nut (solid chrome and new center caps if you don’t won’t to use your old ones). I suggest you order Michelin’s for trailers..... end of worries or so says a ton of folks on the Forum.
If you need further information just send me a message.
Thank you for the reply. I am going to start checking this out right away. I just bought new Maxis tires, but I want Michelins the next time around. Mike
BlueStreakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakSD View Post
maxis makes great trailer tires, in fact I think they would be my choice if I would have stayed with 15 inch rims.
Hope you have several years before you need to upgrade to 16 inch wheels and tires.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #19

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I used Maxxis for years without a single problem. The Eddie Bauer I purchased has 16” so I stayed with the Michelins on it.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I used Maxxis for years without a single problem. The Eddie Bauer I purchased has 16” so I stayed with the Michelins on it.

Sheriff
I agree with you on Maxxis tires.

Here is a little tire history we have experienced. We had a blow out on our first trip to Hunting Beach South Carolina. This was on the original set of Goodyear Marathons.
These tires were 4 years old and looked brand new. To be fair to Goodyear we had driven through a construction zone on the interstate and probably picked up a something in that area.

When we returned from that trip I bought a new set of Road Kings with a ten ply rating and high speed E rating. We had several trips planned in 2015 so I wanted peace of mind.

Then all plans changed and my wife went through 3 years of one surgery one after another. (Super women)

So that put us into 2017 and our first short trip to Gatlinburg Tn.
On the way up about 1 hour from the house we had a blow out. This was about 2 miles after hitting a pot hole on hwy64.
Tire shop said side wall failure more then likely caused the tire failure. ( Biggest problem with tires turned out to be a loose nut behind the steering wheel.[emoji854])Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	322267

I bought a new Maxxis to replace just that tire.

Trust me I check pressures and heat at every stop. I even bought a Laser temperature reader.

I was going to buy 3 more new Maxxis for piece of mind again, when Superwoman was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
Durning the down time we both Decided on a remodel/ refurbish on our Baby. ( we went to look at a new 30 RBT Classic)
Well sticker shock and garage 6 inches to small did away any thought of that move. We did love some of the improvements on the 2018 but, still didn’t have the floor plan we wanted.
We started reading several of the post from owners of the newer coaches, and it seemed liked there is a lot of problems with all the automatic and electronics.

Ok how did I get here????

Oh, I decided to go with the new no lube/ no adjust Dexter Axles and put 16 inch rims and Michelin tires with pressure monitors.

End of tire problems ??? I hope.[emoji15]

Ok, I know this was a long message, but I just had a new left knee installed. ;-) and my bride was very happy it wasn’t her turn again.
I have way too much time on my hands.

Something I didn’t really know was Pain pills turn you into Chatty Cathy.

Hope to see you guys on the road soon !