Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Airdreamer

1999 30' Excella 1000
Canyon Lake , Texas
Looking for Storage Tips on 20' Safari

We have just paid our deposit on a 2007 20' Safari SE and hope to have it here before the end of January (it's waiting for us in Ohio).

We're eager to get started Airstreaming, and would appreciate any tips on storage, pets, towing, etc from 'Streamers in general and 20' 'Streamers in particular. For example...

We have 3 cats. Any suggestions for where to put the kitty litter pan?

What's the best way to rig for television watching? We've already noted the likely discomfort factor at the dinette. Has anyone re-rigged this to good effect?

What's the best way to use the storage under the bed? There's lots of space under there, but it's not particularly accessible. Any problems with tongue weight when putting this to "heavy" use?

We've read at least one post on converting the bed to a sleeper sofa. Has anyone done this? Is it comfortable (for the most part we would never ask guests to sleep on the one's we've used...unless we were anxious for them to move on).

What things are we likely to need to pack that wouldn't be obvious (clothes, food, books, etc)? Does anyone have a recommended tool list?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John
Dreamnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure your excited to get out on the road....

Since my wife and I are the only ones regularly using our 20 footer storage hasnt been a problem. I find that I've only used one of the containers under the front bed so the front remains relatively light. We keep our travel clothes packed in the overhead cabinets over the front bed and use the closet primarily to store jackets and our chairs during travel.

Storage in the bathroom was a bit of a problem primarily for my wifes toiletries so we added a couple of small basket containers under the sink to keep things from sliding around and better organized. Another bathroom score were a couple of backpacking pocket towels which are super light and dry very fast. This eliminated towels hanging in the bathroom all day. Check the website here:Sea to Summit USA - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear

Tools: I always travel with a socket set, multi tool, and now I've added an electric drill/screw driver after having to completely rebuild my TV mount after it fell off of the wall.

I dont find watching TV in the dinette bothersome since there are only two of us and we can both sit on the front side, but we have considered converting the dinette into a couch which would make viewing the TV a bit better I suppose. With no modifications you can convert the dinette to its bed configuration and add a few throw pillows to lay against and achieve the same purpose.

Sorry I cant be much help with the pets......
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Maybe not much help,

as mine's a 23', no pets, and I don't watch tv. But I do have some ideas regarding storage.

- look for squarish containers ala Tupperware, etc., as they tend to fit better in Airstreams' rectinlinear spaces and in fridge, etc. I seal up anything I don't want spilled ... no problems so far, and don't want any in the future! [But DO label ... I once heard of a guy who confused laundry detergent with powdered milk ... blech!]

- consider shower floor as good storage for light things or water jugs when en route (I don't drink tank water despite sanitizing the fresh water tank ...) And yes, the quick-dry towels are very useful. Especially when they're wet on a rainy day and you don't have much of any place inside to put them except in the shower, where they'll never dry. Lots of backpacker ideas will save you room.

- consider cookware needs ... do you really need the twelve quart boiler, or do you really need a smallish skillet, a couple of small sauce pans, etc.? Think about cooking for two people, and think compact. Go simple here and you'll save a lot of space. I've been a backpacker for decades, so my real "needs" are pretty minimal ... just add a FEW luxuries.

- WHERE you put things is important. I try to put heavy things in the pickup bed, and only light stuff in rear storage in the A/S, to help keep hitch weight relatively high and to prevent wear/tear/sag on rear of trailer. Most heavy things inside get stored mid-ships as much as possible and as low as possible for low center of gravity. High cabinets get used for pillows, extra blankets, games, and other relatively light things. For same reason low C/G, I almost always tow with fresh water tank as full as I can get it.

- If I had a cat, I'd probably put the kitty litter tray in the bed of the tow vehicle whenever I could (maybe anchor it with a little velcro so it wouldn't slide?), under the trailer when parked, etc. That is, as far away from ME as I could get it. I'll bet you can find some sort of tray with a snap-on lid to help prevent self-emptying when you hit a bump.

- Don't overlook the fact that you can store things inside other things ... when not using e.g. the stove, microwave, shower, sinks, etc., they can hold a lot of stuff, especially en route.

- Last idea: pre-cook or pre-prepare as much food as you can in advance at home ... a pint of homemade spaghetti sauce in a square container takes up a lot less room than a frozen package of meat with its associated packaging, a can or two of tomato sauce, a bulb of garlic and a garlic press, an onion, several bottles of spices like oregano and bay leaves, etc. And if you only take "meals" made up in advance, you can size portions so you have no leftovers to store. Unless, like me, you like leftovers!

You'll be surprised at how much you can get into the trays that Airstream provides for storage spaces. They hold a lot if you're careful.

Good luck; bet you are really excited to get out there on the road. You will have a ball! Please report back on how it goes!

Ryanh
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Airdreamer

1999 30' Excella 1000
Canyon Lake , Texas
Thanks for input

Very useful information. Thanks for the tips.

John
Dreamnair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20', 2007, pets, storage, safari