Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #1
Harry

2008 22' Safari
Staten Island , New York
Leaky faucet

Hello, I recently purchased a 2008 safari sport. I am new to airstream and travel trailers. My bathroom sink faucet is leaking. I looked with mirror and see that it is connected with hose clamps. Is there a better way? How do I access shut off valves? Can I replace with speedies? Thanks for any help.
Reidjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Hope I can help….

Trailers don't really need shut off valves…..just turn off the water pump, and open the drain valves.

I don't know if your trailer even has shut off valves but mine does not.

Where is the leak actually coming from?

Are you sure that they are hose clamps ( the slotted band with a screw to tighten )?. That doesn't sound like stock to me ( but it could be ) Perhaps, a " repair" was already " attempted ".

P.S. Please pardon the quotes, as they were meant to convey a slight sarcasm
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Bumping

So our new member, Harry, will have an easier time finding his thread.

BTW…Welcome Harry. You might not realize this just yet….but sooner or later, you are going to become a plumber, electrician, carpenter, and mechanic. You buy an RV…and it just happens. HaHa
Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Harry

2008 22' Safari
Staten Island , New York
The leak is coming from the hose clamps,(braided hose). Where can I disconnect and change over to threaded or speedies? Rear panel has three screws. Maybe behind there? Thanks Dave
Reidjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Hey Reid

If you in fact have the braided ( metal ) hose, there shouldn't be a hose clamp, as it screws on like a garden hose. ( unless someone got " creative " ) Also if it is in fact braided metal hose, there is a good chance they used it to replace a broken pipe, as the flexible braided hose is easy to route over, around, and UNDER stuff.

A photo would help, because it's hard to tell what kind materials and connections were used without even looking at it.

You saying that there is hose clamps is leading me to believe what you might have is the clear tubing with the white braid, that is in bedded in the tubing.

And I am thinking that PEX piping is what would be standard for that year. Pex uses crimps, not hose clamps
Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
My 75 had lots of attempted plumbing repairs using hose clamps and plastic hose that the PO paid dearly for. It's not the best idea. Plumb like you would for a house, no problems that way. If it's stored where things freeze, winterize correctly.

Surely you can find some real plumbing in there to effect a true repair. Mine was so bad I ended up replacing everything except the water heater.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Mine had some "frankenplumbing". It worked. That is until the fuel line used to connect the rear lavatory and it's hose clamp came off. Some things I just don't get. It would have been less expensive to fix it right the first time than to fix it the second time.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote