Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #121
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Camping World

Our Camping World approach is this: join for one year and get everything you need at 10% off. You have to spend $200 to come out even. We ordered half that and a little more the other day: Woodall's directory (half price), Flush King (seems like a lot better way to flush out the black and grey tanks), "pump converter winterizer kit" for that nearly inaccessible water pump, and tire covers. I had planned on using cheap tarps and a few rocks to hold them down, but decided to go uptown.

We checked the prices at a big RV dealer in Grand Junction and they were even higher than CW's regular prices. So, first we look in Walmart or check Amazon. If they don't have it, mail order from CW. Considering how many RV's there are, I am surprised there isn't a discount chain for parts and toys. I'm still undecided about a generator and probably would only get a 1 KW one to supplement the solar panel or run the 120 v. appliances on occasion. Late January seems to be a good time to look for bargains.

I have this strange desire to spend time in the trailer, but don't like the idea of walking up to the house for a working bathroom. Maybe I should carry a piece of aluminum around to deal with this strange desire—sort of like chewing Nicorettes.

Gene

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Gene

I often take a mug of tea and head out to the Airstream for a while. I turn the radio on, listen to a few good tunes while I sip my mug dry, read a bit from the magazines I have in stock out there, and just enjoy the time out there. it is such a quiet, restful place to be enveloped in all that aluminum.

As with you, though, the tea necessitates a trip into the house but by then I needed more tea anyway. It's quite a hike from the shop to the house so timing is critical.

Because it is right beside the shop I play in on my old cars it sure is easy to just slip into the trailer for an emergency snooze from time to time without anyone in the house knowing that I haven't been out slugging away at my projects all afternoon.

We were amazed that our first trip into CW and we paid for our membership through the discount. I was amazed at some of the prices, others I was not quite so amazed at. They do have some things we couldn't find elsewhere without a lot of hassle, and if nothing else, they are extremely friendly and helpful. I don't mind spending money with people who are happy that I'm there.

Barry

Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #123
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Spring's coming

If I drank a 2nd mug of tea, I'd be running up to the house a lot (good exercise), but out here, I don't really have to go anywhere but the end of the steps. I think it's a lot colder here than the coast of BC. I'd have to turn on the furnace. Then I might dewinterize, go on a trip. Now that I don't have to get a passport (been delaying that for eons) to go to Canada, I could go to Vancouver Is. Whoops, getting lost in a fantasy. Especially since it just started snowing again and heavy snow is predicted.

We've been talking about some short trips in the spring, one to N. Mexico to see Barb's 98-year-old grandmother. Just how soon will spring come? 11 weeks. But, March and April are among Colorado's snowiest months. Decisions, decisions….

Gene
Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
I just read this whole thread and enjoyed it thoroughly Gene. It gave me some insight on what to look for and I'm thinking/hoping that the bugs are out of the one I'm looking at by now. It has had warranty work done and maybe I won't have any problems for some time. I'm going to look into the Good Sam Extended Warranty.

The water pump will be an issue for me seeing that this camper has never been winterized because of cave-storage. Can you tell me what pump conversion kit you bought from Camping World?
Liz

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #125
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
You really dug down into the archives.

The water pump kit is pretty easy to find at RV stores. I think Camco makes it.

Gene