Old 11-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thanks for the information Diane. I was hoping to get a baseball cap or a blender at some point, but I'll have to satisfy myself with good feelings. You ought to be picking up your trailer soon. I'll bet you're getting antsy for it.

The other day I posted an annoyed message and I think I overreacted to another post. I had a really bad day, but that's a weak excuse. We have exchanged private messages and all is well now.

Gene

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Yes, I am getting antsy. I have decided to decorate in the 'Safari' theme, and purchased animal print bath towels, and a really cool blanket that I will use as a bed spread that is a Safari print. My SilverLining will be in the Midnight Sun color, so I thought animal print would look good, and also not show the dirt and black dog fur from my furry ones. link is to show the blanket.

African Safari Images Blanket/Throw

I think it will be about 3 more weeks or so. I ordered two reversable fan switches as recommended by SilverGate, and they arrived yesterday. If the dealer will put them in, great, but if not, I think we can figure it out.

Diane

bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #45
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
Yes, I am getting antsy...I think it will be about 3 more weeks or so...
has it started production yet, or do you have a estimated build start date?

it might just make you more antsy,

but the dealer can give you the vin number (last 6) and a/s can give you a start date.

all it takes is an email to customer support with the vin...

production is usually 10-12 working days,

then of course it's gotta be shipped to your dealer...

for inspection, prep, repair of obvious factory boo-boos, and so on...

a pre holiday treasure chest no doubt!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Diane, the print definely goes with your decor. Not my area of expertise and someday I'll figure out just what my area of expertise is.

We got Oatmeal even though the thought of wet, squishy oats is not too comforting, but comfortably dull and lets the aluminum dominate. We put a Navajo weaving over the sofa and it fits right good (western talk). I'd like to get a Pendleton bedspread, but not ready to spend another $300 right now. I'd also like to tile the bathroom, shower and kitchen in an arts and crafts style, but might have some weight problems.

I can imagine you going to Jackson Center tonight, VIN in hand, and seeing your Safari being born.

Gene
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
CrawfordGene:

I am not so sure that watching your AS being born is always a good idea. You might not like the way some things are done. Sometimes its just better to see the end result. I have had mixed reactions from people who have watched the assembly proceedure. Some wished they hadn't.....One can be a bit dissapointed in the seemingly sloopy way things are done.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I am not so sure that watching your AS being born is always a good idea. You might not like the way some things are done. Sometimes its just better to see the end result. I have had mixed reactions from people who have watched the assembly proceedure. Some wished they hadn't.....One can be a bit dissapointed in the seemingly sloopy way things are done.[/quote]

Hi, DFord79. You have a point there, but now that I've had my trailer for some time now, I would like to visit the factory and watch other peoples trailers being born. [meaning, that I don't know who these trailers will belong to]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ROBERTSUNRUS:

I see you have a 25B Airstream with the fabric lined (non SE model). We are in a quandry about buying the SE or NOT. The SE makes it inviting not just because of the Classic windows and shinny interior but upgrades that come with it that used to come in the LS package that now you can only get on the SE model. That being said.....I believe the model that you have with the lined interior is a bit warmer and cozier??? Not sure about other pluses and minisus? I ask our dealer what HE thought about the SE windows apposed to the windows you have and HE told me as far as functionality and leaks...HE astually liked the standard windows better than the SE..but HE also told me its a marginal call. Airstream makes the Classis/SE windows and buys the standard ones from a supplier. I am rambling here trying to justify the extra dollars for the SE model. If you had it to do all over and money no object....( money is an object here ) what do you think now that you have owned yours for a couple years????? I didn't mean to hijack this thread. If you like you can e-mail me. Just trying to decide what we need for a retirement vehicle....and if We can afford our dream AS.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #50
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
..HE told me as far as functionality and leaks...HE astually liked the standard windows better than the SE...
the standard safari windows are HEHR...

and a/s has been using some version of this brand for a LONG time, as in 50+ years...

they are less expensive to install because no rivets are used, just a butyl gasket and sealant.

the biggest issue with them is ventilation.

with the hehr windows only a small section opens....

while the classic/international/se windows open full length...

so if ventilation is important to ya this is will be an issue.

richL had one? of his hehr windows changed out to the upgraded version last year....

it was covered in the asl travel blog.

so modifications after the fact, can be made....

also the fire escape window is of the full open variety on all models...

cheer
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
has it started production yet, or do you have a estimated build start date?

it might just make you more antsy,

but the dealer can give you the vin number (last 6) and a/s can give you a start date.

all it takes is an email to customer support with the vin...

production is usually 10-12 working days,

then of course it's gotta be shipped to your dealer...

for inspection, prep, repair of obvious factory boo-boos, and so on...

a pre holiday treasure chest no doubt!

cheers
2air'
Thanks 2Air, I do have the vin number on the PO, and I thought the dealer said it would go into production on the 11th, but that was a Sunday. I will email AS and see what I can find out.

I was hoping for early December, but for sure I think before Christmas! My daughter will be in from Utah for Christmas, and I really wanted her to see it. She will probably want to sleep out there .
Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
Thanks 2Air, I do have the vin number on the PO, and I thought the dealer said it would go into production on the 11th, but that was a Sunday. I will email AS and see what I can find out.

I was hoping for early December, but for sure I think before Christmas! My daughter will be in from Utah for Christmas, and I really wanted her to see it. She will probably want to sleep out there .
Bernermom,

We have the same thing when folks come to visit. They want to sleep in the Flying Cloud. It gives them their own space while here but they can walk across the bridge and onto the deck and come on in for a visit and to use facilities, but it also allows them to sit out under the awning and relax as well.

Of course the whole thing slowed down a bunch when we were gone camping a lot of weekends, and I store it away in the rainy months, but even still we've had folks who ask to stay in it anyway even though it's in it's Air'hanger.

Make sure you sleep in it before your daughter . You have to break the trailer in, even when it's on the driveway. I think that's pretty much a law .

Barry
Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #53
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
DFord, I think it's a matter of taste and money, though people seem to find the money when they fall in love. We liked the panoramic windows and the aluminum interior. The interior is traditional, the windows not. The cloth walls may retain cooking smells and we saw a light colored one (maybe they're all the same) and it looked like it would have to be cleaned a lot. For some those are problems. Some with cloth walls say there's more insulation, though I think it just feels warmer. Clothe means you won't be touching cold aluminum while in bed, but the position of the bed is different in various models. The aluminum will reflect more light and make it brighter, though those recessed lights are so bright, it almost feels like noon at the beach inside. I think some SE's have two panoramic window sets and some have one set (2nd an option, more than $1 K I recall). We saw all those windows and aluminum and got goofy. I look at it outside my window and am still goofy about the windows. They make a gazillion models so we can all be happy. If the dealer has both models just go back and forth and see what feels right and go for it, but keep an eye on the wallet. It's something that's going to be around a long time, so we wanted to get it right, though I think goofiness prevailed (not quite, we liked the 27' better, but too long, too heavy, $4,200 more).

Hard to highjack this thread since it goes all over the place. Zep posted the ultimate hijack thread, but I forget where to find it. Read it and you'll be convinced everyone should be medicated if you can stop laughing.

Gene
Old 11-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Breaking in

Barry and Donna: "You have to break the trailer in, even when it's on the driveway. I think that's pretty much a law ." I think breaking in means more than sleeping in the bed and am glad to hear that's the law in BC as well as here. We are law abiding citizens.

Gene
Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
I contacted AS and my SilverLining is in production, scheduled to be released the 27th or 28th, so it should be at the dealer early December.

I would never want to violate the law, so I guess my husband and I will have to break the trailer in properly ourselves .

Diane
Old 11-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #56
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Deadbolt fixed

I took the deadbolt apart. Two screws on inside, one behind lever sometimes depending on how lever is positioned. The outer part has a tensioning clip against a cam on the lock. It keeps the locking system from rotating back and forth at will and unlocking the door as we travel. The clip needed some grease because without it there's too much tension on the lock cam. I was afraid of breaking the key and sometimes the inside lever wouldn't move. Greased, it works. Hooray!

Next, the intermittent lamp.

Gene