Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
back up camera

this is a very sleepy section of the forum!!!!!
does anyone have a back up camera installed????i worry about how it looks....and how complicated it is to install......
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by la nomade View Post
this is a very sleepy section of the forum!!!!!
does anyone have a back up camera installed????i worry about how it looks....and how complicated it is to install......
Not really, use the search (google) function on the forum and typ backup camera. You'll find all you need.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Hardly a sleepy topic here. I use the Voyager camera & very satisfied. It was purchased & installed at Camping World in less that an hour. Stay away from cheep cameras as the aluminum on AS trailers can cause wireless transmission issues between the camer & monitor in your TV.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I had Voyager installed at JC. Not satisfied at all. At best I get 2 or 3 bars. Many times I get no signal. Have called ASA Electronics (Voyager HO) multiple times. Their response is that their camera does not perform well on Airstreams. Out of warranty now so have a $1,000 gadget that is at best POOR!
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
I had Voyager installed at JC. Not satisfied at all. At best I get 2 or 3 bars. Many times I get no signal. Have called ASA Electronics (Voyager HO) multiple times. Their response is that their camera does not perform well on Airstreams. Out of warranty now so have a $1,000 gadget that is at best POOR!

What? How does ASA even say that? My Voyager - installed at the factory - has worked flawlessly since day one.

And with installation it was $700, not $1000 - and I think even cheaper now.

Sorry yours isn't working out - but I'd press ASA for a better answer. Is there a repeater option? An antenna extension? A dip switch setting to check? You can tell them you know someone with a 27FB whose receiver is about 45' away from the camera and it works flawlessly for him....

Good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #6

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Week before last it was $1000 +/-
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Regarding price. I was quoted just under $1000 at JC before I contacted Camping World & had it done there for $650, same camera. It's a flawless install & camera works perfectly. This was done this past April.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
DeltaRon, I'm in the same boat...trail situation. I have a 25' 2017 that has a factory installed camera. It connects for a few minutes while hitching and then drops. The best I figure is that the connection bounces around enough when I'm in my enclosed storage.

I called ASA and they sent the extender antenna. They told me that the signal can't make it through the aluminum of the airstream. I needed a direct line of sight.

After putting on the extender antenna, it was worst.

I called ASA back. They said take the trailer back to Airstream under a warranty claim. They could work with Airstream to test out it out to rule our bad connections, power, and the transmitter.

Looks like a long drive to the dealer.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I did try a new start up procedure that improved pairing. I have a diesel TV. I start TV and let it run for 5 minutes to let batteries settle down. I then plug in Voyager and start the monitor. I wait a full 30 seconds before turning on running lights. Most times I pair in about 1-2 minutes.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
so many conflicting reports and stories.....very confusing...
thank you for you input....will research further...M
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I also have the voyager and it works perfectly for me and no repeater needed. 25ft EB with ML350 TV combo. I installed it myself - pretty simple if you take power from a rear clearance light. My only regret is mounting it permanently without testing viewing picture so I cannot see the last 2 inches of vision before the bumper edge. Now I know that I stop 2 inches or more from any object. Travelling mostly with bikes on the back it does not matter much because I stop before the bikes are too close to hit anything. The included microphone is handy too because I can hear anyone at the back of the trailer better.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
This is the new Voyager coming out sometime later this month:

This is the one I had installed by the Airstream dealer:

We have been very happy and have had no connection issues either at startup or during driving.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I got this one. https://www.amazon.com/EsiCam-Portab...less+rv+camera.
Works wirelessly from the back of my 16' (inside the camper) to my iPhone via their app. The first one didn't work but their customer service was excellent and sent me a new camera which has worked really well at no charge even without the original packaging. It was several months after purchase that we had a chance to use it after it stopped working but they responded quickly and positively.
Pretty cheap too. I have a window mount for my iPhone and iPad both which allow great viz behind the sport!
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
When I bought my 2012 Ram 1500 (new) it was off a dealer lot and did not have the factory backup camera, so I ordered a PEAK unit from Amazon and installed it myself. It cost about $100 and mounts the camera on the rear license plate frame. I mounted the monitor onto the rear view mirror stalk, such that the monitor sits just above my rear view mirror. The camera is powered from the backup lights, the monitor from the truck's cigar lighter circuit (hard wired...I hate dangling cords.)
So whenever I enter the truck, start 'er up and put 'er in Reverse...the backup camera lights up and works perfectly. (It's a Bluetooth/wireless unit, but I extended the transmitter up into the cockpit area for good, strong signal.
I later bought the Airstream and really got tired of beginning a left turn to find some tailgating idiot passing me on the left.
So, I went again to Amazon, ordered another compete outfit, and installed the camera on the rear of the A/S, and having ordered an extension cable, ran the A/S camera cable to the front of the A/S and, using a 4-pole trailer connector, hooked it up to the rear of the truck, then carried the cable fwd to the cockpit just like the first unit.
I went to the autoparts store, bought a pair of common accessory relays, which removes the truck camera power from the backup lights, and puts the trailer camera onto a HOT power source, thereby turning the trailer camera ON.
Now, when I get in the truck and start 'er up... the truck backup camera lights up and helps be back up to the trailer to hook up. After connecting the trailer 7-way and 4-way camera cords, I go to the truck, push the switch (turning the truck camera OFF and the A/S camera ON) and drive off on a trip.
I can see whenever anyone is behind me. I can back the trailer into the campsite without assistance, and when the A/S is not hooked up to the truck, I have a backup camera in the truck.
The setup has "grid-lines" which clearly delineate the distance from objects and the width of the lane. I can tell exactly where I'm backing and how far someone is following. A little bit of labor... A lot of personal satisfaction...all for about $200.
Camera:
https://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0RB-3.../dp/B001W6LGGS
Extension cord:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...extension+cord
Rear view mirror mount:
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-B-231Z-RV...ar+view+mirrot
Rear view mirror extension:
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composi...5K2KFJPT635TPW
Monitor Ram 1" ball mount (fitted this to back of monitor with small machine screw to clamp to mirror):
https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounts-RA...=ram+1%22+ball

In this manner, I have only one monitor in the cockpit, and a spare monitor should I ever have a need for one, and very little money involved. The only drawback in my opinion is that there is not much distant-view discernable. A tailgater must be within 4 car lengths, or about 60' to really be noticeable.... but then, if they're farther back than that I see them in my outside mirrors, so there's no problem.

One more comment, If your vehicle has Bluetooth, you may want to turn it off while using the camera if they accidentally "pair" up with the camera. (Humorous comment: I've pulled into convenience stores and their own Bluetooth security cameras inside their beer-coolers have revealed stealth-cops hiding out behind the beer-racks apparently observing customers. HA!)
Hope this helps.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
The extender antenna sent for my Voyager has a 10' extension cable. It connects to the camera and allows for the antenna to be moved forward. The manufacturer says the antenna needs a clear line of sight to the monitor. I've tentatively attached the extended antenna to the vertical aluminum "shield" between the refrigerator vent and the AC unit. Preliminary tests show this reception works. I need to run it through a few more test runs.

So, assuming that moving the antenna forward is the answer, then I want to inquire how I may address the "loose" cable that I currently have draped from the camera to the new remote antenna location. Suggestions?

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' FB Flying Cloud Queen
2010 F250 Lariat
Past: 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
Past: 1986 28' Excella Twin

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
...so I ordered a PEAK unit from Amazon and installed it myself... .
Where's the wireless sender for the trailer mounted? How did you run the power cable?

Pics, or it didn't happen.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote