Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Airperson, the Sport can be ordered with a "Canadian" axle. Apparently Canada has higher standards for axle safety because people will inevitably overload this model. The dealer may not know it, so make them call Airstream. You're right, the Sport can't carry much cargo and is basically for weekends.

Gene

Gene

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #42
TahoeStream'n

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
So Uluwene, how do you like your 20 footer so far? You have owned it for almost 2 years. How do you like the bed? Have you used your rig often? What about towing it? I would like to buy one this size I think. Any information is appreciated.
Thanks for the response.

subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
So Uluwene, how do you like your 20 footer so far? You have owned it for almost 2 years. How do you like the bed? Have you used your rig often? What about towing it? I would like to buy one this size I think. Any information is appreciated.
Thanks for the response.
We LOVE our 20 footer. We have taken three 6 week trips, and quite a few shorter trips in the two years we have owned the rig. Plus my husband took it hunting for a month last fall.

We have a Reese Dual Cam hitch and love the way it tows, we almost forget it is back there. We like the small trailer because it means we only need a 1/2 ton truck to pull it and because we can get into tighter, or more primitive places that larger rigs can manage.

The bed is a soft mattress on the plywood frame and I find it more comfortable than my expensive innerspring mattress at home. I get a back-ache coming home to the firmer mattress.

Backing the trailer is the hardest part of traveling with it, but we are learning and are finally getting fairly proficient.

We do as much camping as possible at no or low fee campgrounds like National Forests. The Solar panel pretty much keeps up with our electrical needs as long as we are not in the shade or the weather is sunny. We do have a small generator and use it if necessary - but usually we do not need it on our long trips to the west and south-west.

Do you have any specific questions I can try to answer for you?
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post

Also, I think a dual light fixture ought to have a 3-position switch so I can have one on, both on, all off...

Cheers,
-jd.
All of our dual light fixtures do have a 3-position switch. You can have one on, both on, or both off.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Many thanks to all who posted here and to 5cats on the new thread he started (see post #34), on the replacement of the "Captain Hook" latch. I just completed the replacement on my 2007 23' Safari SE with the flush latch purchased from Perlane.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Question Solution for 1" Thick Door

I can't believe I'm looking at this again, but our 2014 27' FB FC has the "Captain Hook" latch on the lav door and the wife hates it. This door in the new Airstream is an inch thick. Checking the Perlane website shows that the latch we used for our 2007 23' will only work up to a 3/4" door. Does anyone know if there is a version for thicker doors?

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote