Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
Also is it worth the money to purchase the extended warranty on the Atwood 6 gallon L.P. gas water heater, inner tank, and the Atwood Hydro Flame furnace, combustion chamber? The extended warranty gives us an additinal three years making it a five year warranty.

What are peoples experience with these appliances?
Like everyone says, an extended warranty is a gamble. I did this once on an A/C unit on an SOB and that did pay for a bad control board and thermostat. Nothing else has ever failed in the extended warranty period on my past and current trailers that would justifiy the extra costs.

Also read the individual warranties carefully since some components my have warranties longer than the standard Airstream 2 year coverage. I think the A/C unit has two years parts and labor and the 3rd year is parts only (although the shroud is only covered for 6 months by Duo-Therm). The system monitor panel (assuming they still are using the same brand) was warranted for 5 years.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
Notice on the 2008 20' Safari there is a awning on the roadside for the windows. Is this standard or is it optional - and if optional what was the cost? I just searched the Airstream site but like last year it is worthless as far as the 20' Safari goes. There is no listing under specifications or options.
Have a 2007 20' and might want to get mine upgraded if it doesn't cost a arm and a leg.
Assuming that you want the same package from Zip-Dee, the list price (NOT the Forum price) for the 10' street side window awning is $502 and the rear window 'special 52' is $324. They are running about 7-8 working days on shipping as of today, and come complete with everything you need to do the install yourself. ...Interested?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #23
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Lewster, that list price already sounds like a decent price for the Zip-Dee awnings!
-jd.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
flush door handle part#

Ok, so I'm lusting after that nice flush door handle on these newest models. My own 7-month-old 20' Safari has the big hook-type handles...

So I called AS parts in Ohio and got the new door handle information:
#382034, "Flush mount latch for lavy door"

Armed with this part#, I called Inland RV just now and initiated an order (AS Ohio said I had to go through a dealer to order parts.) They're going to get back to me when they have the cost/shipping details.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Awnings

Thanks to everyone for the roadside/back awning info. Was not aware that these were available as an option in 2007 - they didn't appear on any list of options I saw. Lew I might be interested in the awnings at some point but am definitely not interested in trying to do the install myself. May give Airstream a call and see what they would charge as I intend to visit Jackson Center in the next couple of months. Or maybe I could get Out-Of-Doors Mart where I bought the trailer to do the job.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #26
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
door latch

Just got the price from Airstream for the new door latch. $150.00 + shipping. They have real good dope in Ohio!!!!!
Need too find manufacture of the latch. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #27
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
Just got the price from Airstream for the new door latch. $150.00 + shipping. They have real good dope in Ohio!!!!!
Need too find manufacture of the latch. If anyone knows, please let me know.

Don
Whaaaat?! They must be kidding. I've not heard back from Inland RV yet, but when first talking with the parts folks we were guessing it'd be maybe $30 -- they were concerned that's all I was ordering because they have a $20 minimum!

I'll let you know what I hear from here.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Door Latch

Hi,

I replaced the lever latch in my 2007 25CCD Ocean Breeze with the flush replacement latch. It is a great improvement. The product is from Redirect to Mobella. Southco.com acquired Mobella, Eskilstuna, Sweden in 2003. The product is very high grade and is made for the marine market. No mounting screws were included from Airstream. I found stainless steel screws in the bulk bins at a local Ace Hardware.

Southco - MR-04-106-24 :: MR - Omni Door Latches

Part Number: MR-04-106-24

Bob
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #29
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
door latch

If you want the new latch, call PERLANE 800-783-7197, price is $69.95 + shipping. They are ordering one for me and said it would take 2 days. Someone from San Diego with an Airstream beat me too the last one in stock. Ask for Dave, as he is getting good at Airstream's.
Part #MR-04-106-24
Don
Old 05-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #30
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
If you want the new latch, call PERLANE 800-783-7197, price is $69.95 + shipping. They are ordering one for me and said it would take 2 days. Someone from San Diego with an Airstream beat me too the last one in stock. Ask for Dave, as he is getting good at Airstream's.

Don
Um, that would be me!

With shipping my total is $75.76.

Dave at Perlane said it would only take one day to order up to 100 pieces, should be need arise. (I told him I'd post the info, but you beat me to that at least, Gunny!) So I doubt anyone who wants one will see much of a delay, really.

This is targetted for marine (water, not Gunny) applications; Dave could not confirm if it includes SS screws or if [I'll] need to get my own. The perlane site is Perlane Sales- Rivnut, plusnut, insert, fastening systems, and more.

For what it's worth, the folks at Inland RV just got back to me with their price quote from Airstream: yep, $152.25. I told them I appreciated the look-up, but couldn't possibly accept such an obvious gouge by Airstream. I gave them the quote from Perlane, hoping some feedback might make it back to the mothership...

At 75 bucks this is pretty dear. I'll post (elsewhere) about the installation. Thanks for Bob M for the pointer to this accessory!

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #31
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
door latch

Dave at Airstream Customer Relations couldn't care less about the price of the door latch. Yes I called them too see why the high price.

Don
Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks very much for the info.Gunny and Bob M! Just put my order in with Perlane.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Latch

Flush latch installation comments.

The latch shipped with 2 black plastic spring bolts. Select the one with the round hole in the diagonal cut end (that is the one AS uses). The other one has a slot with a round hole inside.

The plastic spring bolt is a little larger than the metal one I removed. I removed the strike plate and used a file to enlarge it a bit. I also used a Dremel Tool to remove a little of the material inside the strike opening in the door jam.

The latch set has 2 soft silicone rubber bumpers on each side. The AS factory installed unit I looked at had the bumpers removed from the bathroom side of the door. I cut them to about 1/2 the original thickness and that worked fine.

Good luck, it is a great improvement.

Bob
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #34
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
New latch thread

Thanks for the install tips, Bob M; I plan to put them to good use when my latch arrives.

In the interest of not hijacking this thread (more than I already have) I started this new thread to document just the latch stuff. Plus, it should be easier/more obvious for others to notice it with a more specific title and all.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thumbs up Flush door mechanisms

jd & others interested -- This is a good remodel/replacement topic that deserves its own thread. I will copy out appropriate posts and make them into their own thread when I get a chance.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
2008 Safari Under Cabinet Lights

Anyone know where these might be available - other than thru Airstream? Who makes them and what is the Model #? I've done a Internet search for 12V lighting but can't come up with any that look like these. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
These are close but not nearly as cool and nice. The inner circle and clear dome really gives off a lot of light. We had something similar in the Thor Hi-Lo. Perhaps it is a Thor part rather than Airstream. Wonder if a Thor dealer of other RVs might be able to help ??? Bargman Economy 12-Volt Incandescent Ceiling Lights : JC Whitney: RV Parts & Accessories

This one is all white Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

It looks like they are calling it an optic magnifying lens if you are searching.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #38
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
Anyone know where these might be available - other than thru Airstream? Who makes them and what is the Model #? I've done a Internet search for 12V lighting but can't come up with any that look like these. Thanks.
It's hard to tell from the tiny picture, but the "Command Omega Interior Dome Light" (double) from Incandescent Lights, Utility Lights, Cargo Lights, Battery Operated Incandescent Lights from Command Electronics might be pretty close.

The description says:
  • Model: 001-902XP
  • Double White Light with Push Button Switch
  • 11 3/8" x 5 3/4" x 1 11/16"
  • $22.92

I'm ambivalent about replacing mine, expecially in the bath, with another plastic one like this, though. I have problems with both fixtures keeping the lenses in place.

Also, I think a dual light fixture ought to have a 3-position switch so I can have one on, both on, all off...

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Thanks for the info. Nice to know I'm not the only one that the bathroom light lenses won't stay in. Twice I've had lenses fall out in the middle of the night and into the sink when I was asleep. That'll get you up quick. When installed on the curved roof in the bathroom guess they warped the frames enough that they won't hold the lenses. I'm also leary of replacing these with another plastic frame fixture and like you I would like to have the option of one or two bulbs on in the dual fixtures.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #40
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Have been looking at the axle rating on the new sport. It looks as though the wt. would be maxed out with opts. such as: air, awning and microwave. (200)lb.If you add fuels and water perhaps (190)lb. or so. The axel is rated at 4000 lb. and the dry wt. at 3500. I asked the salesman and he said the opt. are part of dry wt. I don't think so. Also it looked to me as though you could order an axle that could carry 4500. Does any one know anything about this.
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote