Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2008 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
25 fb

When we started researching Airstream models, the main draw to the FB model was the view from the back windows. Then we tried to decide the smallest model we could get that had all of the "necessities" we wanted. We have owned a corner bed in the past and didn't want another one. Some like them......we did not. We do like the fact that the 25FB has a dinette and couch area. We have been very happy with our decision. I'm sure we'd be equally happy with the 27FB but wanted to make sure we'd fit in State Park/National Park campgrounds.
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
The private panoramic views out the living area was a huge factor for us in wanting the 25FB. The natural views make the AS much more enjoyable for us. The more livable 60-inch queen also drew us to the 25 FB.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper2 View Post
When we started researching Airstream models, the main draw to the FB model was the view from the back windows. Then we tried to decide the smallest model we could get that had all of the "necessities" we wanted. We have owned a corner bed in the past and didn't want another one. Some like them......we did not. We do like the fact that the 25FB has a dinette and couch area. We have been very happy with our decision. I'm sure we'd be equally happy with the 27FB but wanted to make sure we'd fit in State Park/National Park campgrounds.
Don't forget that most trailers exclude the tongue when measuring, Airstream includes it... so the 27FB (which is actually 27' 10" will fit - 25 feet for the trailer, 3 for the tongue). KOOL yes?

Paula
Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
My wife and I checked them out as well and liked them both. Depending on personal preferences, the differences in sinks, beds and storage probably wash out depending on your use objectives. What we didn't like was the dinette in the rear with the side wall sofa. Somehow that sofa seemed a bit poorly located (try watching the TV without neck kinks) and uncomfortable. That said however, the '08 safari FB is now going for 39.9K which if I recall is a pretty good price. Perhaps a few kinks might be worth it...
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester View Post
What we didn't like was the dinette in the rear.
I like the dinette in the rear. Otherwise, it's the bed or bed/bath in the rear, in which case the primary living space view from within the trailer out the front. I have almost no actual experience in this, and while it may not always be scenic out the rear, out the front is pretty much always the roadway you drove in on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukester View Post
with the side wall sofa. Somehow that sofa seemed a bit poorly located (try watching the TV without neck kinks) and uncomfortable.
I agree about that sofa. How do the 25/27FB owners here feel about that?

Would it be easy to remove it, and recover the floor space? Or would that leave unsightly scars that would have to be patched up?

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I think most of us sit side ways at the dinette to watch the TV with our backs against the window with a cushion between. Its a little like a recliner without the recline function. We find it comfortable and a glass of wine sitting at hand on the table adds to the ambiance.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
"I agree about that sofa. How do the 25/27FB owners here feel about that?"

I'm a person who prefers to lay down while watching movies, so the sofa works great, especially if I remove the back cushion for a wider space. Other than an occasional movie, we just don't watch TV.

It would be interesting to learn what other possibilities exist with that space if the sofa could be removed. Hopefully others will chime in about that.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I look at that "sofa" as a bench, since it is as uncomfortable as one. It's a good place to put stuff like maps, tour books, Woodall's, coats, clothes and all those pillows that come with the trailer. My wife puts her feet up on it while watching TV and konks out—I don't know how she does it, it looks awfully tight to me.

I think the vinyl floor goes all the way under and I suppose it could be removed, but you'd lose some valuable storage space and storage down low is the best storage for center of gravity reasons.

Guests can sit on the sofa. Since it's not very comfortable, they won't stay too long.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
GREAT thread! We had this debate and are leaning towards a 25' FB if we could find a used one....

I like to idea of having a dinette. Our family plays board games, I like to do crosswords, I like the comment about having a relaxing beverage at hand. Now I'm worried that I won't be comfy on the 'couch'.

Perhaps that will expand our horizons looking at used to include those with a sofa.

This nice weather has me itching to camp. Currently our camper is a very nice pop-up. Still waiting to find my Dream Stream! Hey - I think I just named my camper
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
It would be interesting to learn what other possibilities exist with that space...
We keep the dinette in the down position most of the time. It makes a comfortable lounge area. For simple meals, we set up a folding table like this. We eat outside if it is nice and seldom need the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lounge.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	77668  
Old 03-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdubyadee View Post
We keep the dinette in the down position most of the time. It makes a comfortable lounge area. For simple meals, we set up a folding table like this. We eat outside if it is nice and seldom need the dinette.
Mark,
I really like that idea for movie watching or for rainy days inside. Thanks for posting the picture.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdubyadee View Post
I love it! We're trying to use this configuration more often. What did you use for the back bolster (w/blue cover). Is it a king-size pillow?
We like to use the "table up" position w/company, but find the lounge conversion to be pretty comfy for just hanging out.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb View Post
What did you use for the back bolster (w/blue cover). Is it a king-size pillow?
It is actually longer than King Size. I believe my wife bought it at Target. I think they call it a "body pillow" or something like that. It has a removable pillow slip just like a bed pillow.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
revisited

Well its been quite a while since I started this deathmatch. And heres where we netted out. 27FB International Signature series. I remember touring the factory after I bought my bambi and seeing the first of the signature series being made. The dark wood to me was to die for. So, check, we got the dark wood. Then it was really great to read all the whys we chose a 25 or 27. We spent time at the dealership in both. My wife didnt like the solid wood panel doors in the above storage. Spring loaded, and I had to duck to use em. The white and sliding door lit up ones in the international were for us. Then the bedroom of the 25, my side of the bed was under the overhead storage unit so it was a bit of a gymnastic move getting in and out. Thought i'd like the single window for more privacy and dark in the bedroom but in reality love love love the pano windows fore and aft. Love the ease of underbed storage. Love the night stands. And the fear of towing 28ft? I find it easier than the single axle 19 I had. More stable. Doesnt get away from you so fast. I have nothing but love for this baby. The room makes all the difference in the world. The bigger size fears or backing and towing and so on were really nothing in reality. Hope this helps others in the same dilemma.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dinette

Randjg1, glad to hear you're delighted with your 27 footer. I'm sticking with my 25 for a while longer. I do totally agree with your assessment of the overhead storage bins. The slide doors actually allow for a slightly bigger cabinet too. I can't lay my big dinner plates flat in the Safari cabinets. They did lay flat in my former 22 CCD. You may not even appreciate the greater efficiency of having one large cabinet vs two small ones. I don't have a good space to store a wide roll of aluminum foil in mine. It would barely fit in the oven at a diagonal, and I store a bunch of other crap in there. (Never store heavy things in your oven, they can shift and damage the door hinges or break the glass if you've got the convection microwave. I keep plastic bags, spare rolls of paper towels and Saran wrap in there. It's convenient, and not a big deal to take out when I do want to use the oven which isn't too often.)

Now on to the question about removing the side couch:
NOPE don't even think about it, There's a wheel well under it, and the flex ducts for the furnace run behind the storage under it. And then there's the furnace itself. I have seen one person who cut the cushions back and shortened it a foot or less. They basically stacked a little chest of drawers under the TV. I think they might have used it to store CD's in. That's a neat idea if you're not going to need the space for an adult to sleep.

When I have the dinette down, I take the main cushion off of the side couch and curve it around the back wall, then add my throw pillows. The side couch is just fine with the smaller triangular cushion, and If you want to flop there and watch TV it works better too.

I think they beefed up the slides on the side couch since '06. I've often wished that they somehow had made the seat slant backwards toward the wall, then pop up level when you pulled out into a bed. It would be much more comfortable for sitting if it were that way... but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Enjoy, Paula
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #56
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
When I posted to this thread I was thinking of buying an FB and trying to decide between 25 and 27. Still not sure which would be better for me but I did in fact buy a 2007 Safari 27FB LS Special Edition. It was available in a slightly used unit and I couldn't be more pleased.

I really haven't seen a 25FB that I can recall, so can't comment on the subject of the thread. However, as to the sofa and dinette ...

As someone mentioned a couple of provided pillows and you can use the street side dinette seat as a recliner, feet on the sofa/bench. This can be pretty darn comfortable, although I prefer a beer in the hand over a glass of wine as mentioned.

I frequently and for extended periods move both the short back cushion and the taller back one from the sofa/bench to the back of the trailer with the table down. This provides a nice back to lean on there. I call this "pit group mode" because it resembles a living room pit group furniture arrangement. I lay this way and that way and feet forward on the sofa and use pillows for propping up and all kinds of things. Works out real well when it's just me and the dog. My latest discovery is that the round sink cover makes a nice stable tray to place drinks and dishes on.

Also, I hope everyone realizes that the rear curtain can be separated in the middle but also 1/4 - 3/4 and also all to one side. When bunched up it still takes a fair bit of one of the panoramic windows, but it is nice to be able to choose which view is better blocked and which is better seen. Each end attaches to the trailer with three snaps which can be unsnapped so the whole thing slides around to one side. I met someone with an FB that didn't know about that trick.

Dropping the table, moving the cushions, repurposing the sink cover, optimizing the view with the curtains - all of these just rearrange what's already there without any extra items that have to be stuck away when not needed. I was doubtful about the utility of sofa and whether it would have a suitable living/lounging space, but after several months of usage, it works for me.
Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
25FB vs. 27FB death match

Hi! This is my first post, and I would like to thank all who have added to this thread. My wife and I are looking at both a 2011 25' Flying Cloud FB, and a 2008 27' Safari SE FB. I sort of prefer the 25' because it has a queen bed, where the 27' has the twin beds. But the 27' is a clean one owner, and less expensive than the 25'.

Good food for thought as we are hoping to go look at both later this week. Some questions I have are:

Will we be limited on campsite locations because of size?
Is a 27' more difficult to pull and maneuver than a 25'?
Both trailers have pano windows front and rear and have metal finishes inside, how much of an effect will these have in maintaining inside temps?

Thanks
Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Drew

The 25 & 27 tow virtually identical from the drivers seat you won't be able to tell the difference. There may be a few campsites that the 25 will go into that the 27 won't but it is likely less than 1% of all the campsites available. What we find is the tow vehicle size is more important for maneuvering than the trailer size.

The 27 has a lot more outside storage with the twin beds, you can convert it to a queen down the road if you really don't find they are for you however.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Twin Beds

This goes back to the Queen vs Twin Beds question. It is a matter of choice, but I agree the twin beds give quite a bit more outside storage as well as under bed storage. Also the twin beds are quite a bit longer than the queen, so if length is an issue, the twin beds are better. We also find that there is more room and it is easier to get up in the night with the twin beds.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
one year follow up. We went with the 27FB and i have been extremely happy with the choice. There are four of us so every square inch of "space" has been appreciated. We have never been turned away from a site or found that we didnt fit. It pulls like its not even there and im able to back it WAY easier than our 19ft single axle. We certainly use the additional space inside as well. If you find yourself deliberating between the two then the 27 is the one for you. My two cents.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote