Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
redmond , Oregon
We have the 27 FB and the fore/aft bed was the deal maker. We moved from a SOB fifth wheel and the side to side bed was a non starter. Love the A.S. and its a dream to tow (chev 2500 diesel)

rashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The center bed is nice. The bed lifts up towards the hall and you have better access than trying to stand at the foot of the side bed or approach the storage through the side narrowing clearance, especially for heavier or bulky items. It is nice to exit the bed on either side instead of having to scoot to the foot or climb over the other. The additional wadrobes on both sides add much handy storage. The large front window at the head of the bed gives optimum ventilation and a larger view than the side window.

Sinks are probably as individual a preference as cookware. I have never had a single sink but know there are advantages to either. I can easily make due with a single sink and use the other sink cover for more counter space, much like one would function with a bar sink.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
We have the 2008 27FB CCD and love it! The only thing I might have changed would have been to get the twin beds instead of the short queen.
Most of the time we have breakfast guests....the dinette seats 4.
When there are 7 of us (three friends we travel with and the four of us) it would be nice to set up a tv tray between the two twin beds creating another dinette area.
Just a thought......
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After a lot of posts favoring the 25', the 27 footers are coming on strong in the Death Match. I think the 25' FB is the most popular model overall—does majority rule?

I'm curious, 27 footers—doesn't the 27' have an option with the queen bed?—either wardrobes that reach to the ceiling, or a night stand on each side. I would choose the night stand—what did you choose and why?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
We really didn't "choose" anything...we bought what the dealer had.
We were getting rid of our damaged 25SS
They had about 20 to choose from.

We have the pano windows in the bedroom with the short queen with night stands.
I would not have wanted the wardrobes...I think it makes things feel too closed in.

With all of this trailer talking....I can't wait to go camping again!

Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post

With all of this trailer talking....I can't wait to go camping again!

Dennis
Me too! I gotta get away from this computer—it's making me crazy with aluminitis. This laptop is aluminum too. The Safari is outside and I can see it every time I look up. I can't stand it!!!!

Gene
Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
After a lot of posts favoring the 25', the 27 footers are coming on strong in the Death Match. I think the 25' FB is the most popular model overall—does majority rule?

I'm curious, 27 footers—doesn't the 27' have an option with the queen bed?—either wardrobes that reach to the ceiling, or a night stand on each side. I would choose the night stand—what did you choose and why?

Gene
I didn't choose anything either. It was the first Classic FB I saw and only 2 weeks out of the factory making the rounds at the International Rally in Salem Oregon as a new model. I traded the 3 month old 2006 25' FB SE that we had ordered being told there would NOT be any Classics in that floorplan because then they wouldn't be "Classic" The 2006 was bought at the rally by a couple with a 3 month old Bambi. I much prefer the solid hickory surfaces and cloth lined walls. The insulation and noise dampening properties were a major consideration. I also liked the multiple window treatment, no banded edges, and dust hiding elements after a long road trip it was more apparent. I'm no ceiling duster that's for sure.

I would only be knocking off the things on the end tables I am certain. Me and the dog we like cozy nooks.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Gene,

The option was if you went with the the panoramic windows in the bedroom, then you get the night stands on each side of the bed. If you went with the single window, then you would get the wardrobes with the shirt closets on each side of the bed.

I do know of one who got the single window on his 08 27FB CCD and night stands instead of the wardrobe. It looks good.

Our 2004 28' CCD had the wardrobes on each side of the bed and always felt confining to me.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
In my earlier post, I neglected to mention one of the nice features of having a 25FB with twin beds, namely the full-width exterior storage compartment. There is also a convenient nightstand with a drawer between the beds and a hanging locker over the sidewalk-side bed.

Our profile incorrectly says that we have a 25FB SE model because there is no choice for the model we actually own. Ours is probably not unique but it is most certainly in the minority among 25FB designs in that it has a standard Safari wood laminate and recycled plastic bottle fuzzy interior walls and vinyl ceiling. No pano windows. Other windows are of the older design that open only the bottom one-third to one-half. Nonetheless, the ventilation is more than satisfactory and the added insulation from the smaller glass area and from the wall and ceiling liners are much appreciated in both warm and cold weather.

This somewhat unusual configuration is certainly warmer in cold weather and cooler in warm weather than the SE aluminum-skinned interiors.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
OMG. This thread has been fantastic. Thanks to all who have shared so much insight.

Odd, though, that there's little mention of what draws me to the FB floor plan - seems like the view is much more likely to be out the back. My RV shopping partner has always been drawn to fifth wheels (over motorhomes) because of the open space and views in the back.

Maybe that's an unsaid given among the FB buyers here? Or maybe because this is a 25/27 death match thread. Could someone comment on the value of that?

-CB-
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
CB,

When we were looking at trailers we didn't even think about that, but now we realize that it was a good choice. The curtains usually are closed in the bedroom and who wants to look at the back of a truck anyway? The better view is in the back and that's where we are most of the waking time. But our choice was largely based on the shortest trailer with a queen bed.

Gene
Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #40

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Good point! If there is a view from the trailer, it is most often out the back end. I don't need a view from the bedroom. The FB plan works much better for us.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
25 fb

When we started researching Airstream models, the main draw to the FB model was the view from the back windows. Then we tried to decide the smallest model we could get that had all of the "necessities" we wanted. We have owned a corner bed in the past and didn't want another one. Some like them......we did not. We do like the fact that the 25FB has a dinette and couch area. We have been very happy with our decision. I'm sure we'd be equally happy with the 27FB but wanted to make sure we'd fit in State Park/National Park campgrounds.
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
The private panoramic views out the living area was a huge factor for us in wanting the 25FB. The natural views make the AS much more enjoyable for us. The more livable 60-inch queen also drew us to the 25 FB.

AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote